Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dropping like flies.....

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I disagree with you Easy.

It's Carragher that pisses me off. He does f*** all throughout the qualifying campaign, after retiring because he didn't want to be on the bench, then the chance comes to go to a World Cup and he takes back everything he said. He's not first choice so why change your mind? Oh it's the glamorous part of the tournament now so I'm in. He's not even been good this season so I blame Fabio for picking him too.

At least Scholes stuck by his retirement decision, however wrong some people view retiring from playing for your country.

This whole not having enough time to think about it business is a bit fishy though I must admit

How do you know that if Fabio had called him a year ago and asked him to play in the qualifiers he wouldn't have said yes?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
How do you know that if Fabio had called him a year ago and asked him to play in the qualifiers he wouldn't have said yes?

I don't. But he still retired in the first place in a, what I view anyway, as a childish trantrum of not being picked. He went away and sulked and came back when it wa the chance for a nice holiday and some glory

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I disagree with you Easy.

It's Carragher that pisses me off. He does f*** all throughout the qualifying campaign, after retiring because he didn't want to be on the bench, then the chance comes to go to a World Cup and he takes back everything he said. He's not first choice so why change your mind? Oh it's the glamorous part of the tournament now so I'm in. He's not even been good this season so I blame Fabio for picking him too!

At least Scholes stuck by his retirement decision, however wrong some people view retiring from playing for your country.

This whole not having enough time to think about it business is a bit fishy though I must admit

The Carragher one doesn't sit comfortably I must admit. But the bottom line is, are we stronger with Carragher there, or without him ? Capello believes we are a stronger squad with him there, we have to back his judgement. So that being the case, yes I'm glad Carragher said yes.

Put the politics of it to one side. Put the arguments about whether or not Carragher has actually earned the right to one side, because joining up JUST for the Finals, quite clearly he hasn't. But if having him there gives us a BETTER chance of winning the World Cup (and Capello, in his judgement believes that to be the case), then thats ALL that matters as far as I'm concerned.

We won't be moaning about it if he forms part of a back 4 that takes us all the way, will we.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I don't. But he still retired in the first place in a, what I view anyway, as a childish trantrum of not being picked. He went away and sulked and came back when it wa the chance for a nice holiday and some glory

I would imagine that after a while getting picked and sitting on the bench every time it would become a bit tiresome.

Did he really have a tantrum?

Did he sulk?

Has he said hes only doing it for the holiday and the glory?

Your just jumping to conclusions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I actually have more respect for Carragher answering the call and going back on his original decision than I do for Scholes turning his back again and then saying he needed more time to think about it.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The Carragher one doesn't sit comfortably I must admit. But the bottom line is, are we stronger with Carragher there, or without him ? Capello believes we are a stronger squad with him there, we have to back his judgement. So that being the case, yes I'm glad Carragher said yes.

Put the politics of it to one side. Put the arguments about whether or not Carragher has actually earned the right to one side, because joining up JUST for the Finals, quite clearly he hasn't. But if having him there gives us a BETTER chance of winning the World Cup (and Capello, in his judgement believes that to be the case), then thats ALL that matters as far as I'm concerned.

We won't be moaning about it if he forms part of a back 4 that takes us all the way, will we.

Certainly not. I'm not going to boo him or anything, but just don't have much respect for him. As I said, I'm still surprised Fabio deemed him worthy of inclusion, especially as cover for a right back. I don't think we're a better squad with him there at all.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I would imagine that after a while getting picked and sitting on the bench every time it would become a bit tiresome.

Did he really have a tantrum?

Did he sulk?

Has he said hes only doing it for the holiday and the glory?

Your just jumping to conclusions.

But it's your country that you're fighting to get a place for. Not quitting because there's better players ahead of you. Then come back when you're still not first choice. What's changed for him?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We are going to win the world cup

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I actually have more respect for Carragher answering the call and going back on his original decision than I do for Scholes turning his back again and then saying he needed more time to think about it.

I did have more respect for Scholes sticking to his decision until this rather baffling 'not enough time' comments

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Certainly not. I'm not going to boo him or anything, but just don't have much respect for him. As I said, I'm still surprised Fabio deemed him worthy of inclusion, especially as cover for a right back. I don't think we're a better squad with him there at all.

I'm not overly convinced myself. But his versatility and vast experience is an asset, and in tournament football that can turn out to be priceless, so I can see why Capello drafted him in.

Along with a lot of others in the squad, this is a last chance for him to really make an impact with an England team, so I hope and believe he'll take that chance and run through brick walls for Capello for having the faith to bring him back.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I just think if someone has given up on playing for their country, they shouldn't be invited back. If you do want to come back then state you case that you have changed your mind and wish to be considered and play your way into the team/squad through the training camps, friendlies and qualifiers

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I'm not overly convinced myself. But his versatility and vast experience is an asset, and in tournament football that can turn out to be priceless, so I can see why Capello drafted him in.

Along with a lot of others in the squad, this is a last chance for him to really make an impact with an England team, so I hope and believe he'll take that chance and run through brick walls for Capello for having the faith to bring him back.

Do you think he'll make himself available for the Euro qualifiers?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I just think if someone has given up on playing for their country, they shouldn't be invited back. If you do want to come back then state you case that you have changed your mind and wish to be considered and play your way into the team/squad through the training camps, friendlies and qualifiers

Seriously, who cares ?
They're there to kick a ball around, its not the UN. I don't need apologies, I don't need reasons, I just need Carragher to DO A JOB in an England shirt, and do it well.

And I'd have said exactly the same for Scholes if he'd not gotten all precious about it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do you think he'll make himself available for the Euro qualifiers?

Hasn't he already said he's only coming back for the WC ? Sure I heard that somewhere. So on one level, yes, its easy to take the view that its taking the PISS a bit.

But I just come back to the fact that if (IF) he plays a blinder for us in South Africa, then I won't really give a toss if he jacks it in afterwards.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Indeed. It's a very big if though!

If he has said that then I definitely think he is taking the piss, which is what's annoying me about it all.

Time to move on. Spain are playing Poland at the moment. Might be some more injuries to report....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here