Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving into Brighton - any point ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not great at the best of times I grant you, but with this Conference going on, I can declare its officially Not Worth Attempting Trying To Drive In To Brighton now. Yesterday I was out and about in the motor, and suddenly fancied buying a couple of DVD's from HMV. "Might be a bit chocka" I thought, but then a "what the hell" thought came over me, so I embarked on the A259 in an Eastbound direction, thinking if its a bit shitty, I'll just park at the Regency carpark (opposite the West Pier) instead rather than attempting the Churchill Sq carpark.

As soon as I got past Palmeira, it dawned on me what a twat I'd been. Both lanes, rammed and motionless. After moving 10 yards in 10 minutes, it was U-turn time and offski back to the comforting bosom and free-flowing traffic of Southwick. Even if I'd wanted to park in Hove and bus the rest of the way, I'd have been limited to 2 hours.

But the problems arn't just at conference time though, are they ? Any time there's the slightest thing going on, the city centre is completely inaccessable by car. Lego show at the Metropole ? Steer clear. National Can Opener exhibition at the Brighton Centre ? Forget it. International Paraplegic three-eyed Robin Reliant Drivers with Malaria Rally at Madeira Drive ? Don't even leave the house.

Brighton "The Place to Be" ? Yeah right. If you don't mind a f***ing 4 hour tailback to get there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
chez said:
Wondering how I'm gonna get to the march by 5 tomorrow if I cant find anywhere to park!! I dont finish work in Albourne til 4:45 :nono:
I'd forget it then mate. Even if you somehow manage to navigate the complete gridlock, the only place you'll be able to park your car is in Primark next to their autumn £3.99 sweaters range. And even then you'll need to move after 15 minutes and hope there's a space on the roof of the portaloo.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Surely you should know by now that anybody wanting to bring a car into Brighton is THE ENEMY. Evil, fume-belching scum who only exist to make millions for NCP executives so they can live somewhere less polluted.

Of course, you could empty an entire dustcart of rotting rubbish on most of the streets and nobody from the council would bat an eyelid (in fact, they probably wouldn't notice any difference to normal).

Stay away with your disgusting "car" thing. I'm sure they're just a fad anyway.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Easy 10 said:
I'd forget it then mate. Even if you somehow manage to navigate the complete gridlock, the only place you'll be able to park your car is in Primark next to their autumn £3.99 sweaters range. And even then you'll need to move after 15 minutes and hope there's a space on the roof of the portaloo.

Think our right, also its a movano van so Ive got no chance. Do you know if you can park out by Kemp Town at all? Is the traffic just as bad that way? I could get there and run down I suppose.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Your best bet is probably just to drive straight up to the Brighton Centre.

There are a few big metal barriers and stuff, and the coppers will probably try to stop you, but if you keep your foot down you should be able to smash your way through.

And it will give the police marksmen on the roof something to do.

Nearly every Sat when i'm in Brighton, i see people in Q's from the car park in West St almost to the seafront. Why do they bother? ??? They must end up sitting there for a min of 45mins just to park their car :dunce:

I could walk into Brighton in that time :lolol:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Usually use the bus. Think our bus service is excellent compared to other places.

mindyjaja

May 9, 2004
There is a police camera stationed just past the Shoreham off ramp on the Eastbound carriageway of the A27 after the Southwick tunnell and by the looks of things it will be there for a while (portaloo in situ next to it).

Anyone know if this is a speedcamera or one of those that identifys number plates bearing in mind it is the Labour party conference ?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Its probably something to do with the conference.The camera's can now look at your vehicle VRN now and find a lot out about you.

We have had them over in Northern Ireland now for years due to the troubles.The camera's are fixed to most police stations,military barracks and places of interset to the security forces.If you become suspicious of a vehicle we just do a "last sightings check" and if it lists a lot of security forces bases then the car will be stopped and checked.

This camera in Shoreham is probably the same sort of thing.You'll probably find there is one on the other main approaches to Brighton i.e the A27 and A23.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
mindyjaja said:
There is a police camera stationed just past the Shoreham off ramp on the Eastbound carriageway of the A27 after the Southwick tunnell and by the looks of things it will be there for a while (portaloo in situ next to it).

Anyone know if this is a speedcamera or one of those that identifys number plates bearing in mind it is the Labour party conference ?

Always there at Conference time - IDs cars

mindyjaja

May 9, 2004
cheers - thought it was a speed camera.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There's a good park and ride from Withdean. You know that beaten up old running track.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
chez said:
I could get there and run down I suppose.

Now that is the funniest thing I have heard in ages slick:p :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Is Volks railway still running or has it shut down for winter?

If it's open, you could park at the Marina and then get the train along the seafront.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
Is Volks railway still running or has it shut down for winter?

If it's open, you could park at the Marina and then get the train along the seafront.

Came to show some Aussie visitors the old home town in early September - only to find Volks Railway closed for the season on September 11th!!!!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
im gona leave car somewhere off Lewes road and walk the rest - its not worth trying to get anywhere near the seafront

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here