Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving into Brighton - any point ?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Easy 10 said:

But the problems arn't just at conference time though, are they ? Any time there's the slightest thing going on, the city centre is completely inaccessable by car. Lego show at the Metropole ? Steer clear. National Can Opener exhibition at the Brighton Centre ? Forget it. International Paraplegic three-eyed Robin Reliant Drivers with Malaria Rally at Madeira Drive ? Don't even leave the house.

Easy, I've not been able to read the rest of this thread, my sides are splitting :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: This is another classic even by your standards:clap2:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Seriously, though, this council is going to ruin the city's small business sector if it keeps up its anti-car policy. The Argus not all that long ago featured a woman who runs a speciality coffee shop (bags of beans, etc, not just the drink) in Kemptown (just the sort of niche business that Brighton is known for) who has had to shut her business down and move to an industrial estate in Hove, because the council has increased parking restrictions by her shop and trebled the on-street parking charge. Not only does this stop car driving customers reaching these shops, it also hurts public transport users, as industrial estates are often only accessible by car (I must admit I don't know if Hollingbury, etc, get bus services).

Lush

Mods' Pet
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
Is Volks railway still running or has it shut down for winter?

If it's open, you could park at the Marina and then get the train along the seafront.

:D :D :D :D

The Volks Railway, heaving with Albion fans in the stripes, all hanging out the sides singing We Want Falmer.....

Let's make them open it SPECIALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Seriously, though, this council is going to ruin the city's small business sector if it keeps up its anti-car policy. The Argus not all that long ago featured a woman who runs a speciality coffee shop (bags of beans, etc, not just the drink) in Kemptown (just the sort of niche business that Brighton is known for) who has had to shut her business down and move to an industrial estate in Hove, because the council has increased parking restrictions by her shop and trebled the on-street parking charge. Not only does this stop car driving customers reaching these shops, it also hurts public transport users, as industrial estates are often only accessible by car (I must admit I don't know if Hollingbury, etc, get bus services).

Yes they do, very regular ones at that.

The bus service in Brighton is f***ing WICKED. I think we should interoduve one of those red stripe things like in London. If you live anywhere in Brighton you don't NEED to drive into the centre.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
junior said:
Its probably something to do with the conference.The camera's can now look at your vehicle VRN now and find a lot out about you.

We have had them over in Northern Ireland now for years due to the troubles.The camera's are fixed to most police stations,military barracks and places of interset to the security forces.If you become suspicious of a vehicle we just do a "last sightings check" and if it lists a lot of security forces bases then the car will be stopped and checked.

This camera in Shoreham is probably the same sort of thing.You'll probably find there is one on the other main approaches to Brighton i.e the A27 and A23.

There are

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

The bus service in Brighton is f***ing WICKED. I think we should interoduve one of those red stripe things like in London. If you live anywhere in Brighton you don't NEED to drive into the centre.

Indeed, when I'm in Brighton I never drive into the centre. Why bother when there's an excellent, frequent bus service that'll get me into the centre in 15 minutes with no hassle whatsoever?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I even get the bus to work nowadays. Only because it's a student bus and there's loads of FITIES on it though.

:)

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Train for me, as it is about a fifth the cost of driving (fuel even from Southwick & carparking if you can find anywhere). The money saved can buy a beer or two although the temptation is to get pissed so I guess driving is the cheaper option. Nevertheless I can still do central Brighton quicker on my bike than car anyday.
Must think about going to get a few beers in before the march.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here