Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driver-less tube trains, really?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The DLR has never had drivers; has there ever been an incident on it that would have been prevented by having a driver?

Personally, I'm not sure I trust a driver to double check any more than I trust a movement sensor (weight or optical) built into the track.

Edit: Reading closer, this sentence makes me even more worried about a human driver: "Thankfully, I saw something and was staring at the CCTV when I saw the hands come up on the platform. My doors were closed with a pilot light (which meant the train was ready to leave). Had I not waited a few seconds I would have pressed the automatic train operation start and been at least one to two cars over him before the passenger emergency alarm was activated." The child could very, very easily have been killed by another human driver who didn't wait those few seconds.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Why don't they install sliding doors on all platforms to prevent people falling on the tracks? They do in loads of other countries.

PSDs-JLE.jpg

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
seagull_in_malaysia;4757 989 said:
Why don't they install sliding doors on all platforms to prevent people falling on the tracks? They do in loads of other countries.

PSDs-JLE.jpg

yes it should be like that, would stop this sort of shit happening

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Many modern Jubilee line stations have this, but they haven't been fitted everywhere. Also as he slipped whilst getting onto the train (slipping in the gap) the sliding doors on the platform may not have stopped this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Many modern Jubilee line stations have this, but they haven't been fitted everywhere. Also as he slipped whilst getting onto the train (slipping in the gap) the sliding doors on the platform may not have stopped this.

It is only the Jubilee line extension stations that has it in other words from Westminster to Docklands etc.

Driverless trains might finally shut up that twat Bob Crow

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

PSDs-JLE.jpg

Because installing them on the Jubilee Line was ridiculously expensive - the whole project was massively over budget.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It is only the Jubilee line extension stations that has it in other words from Westminster to Docklands etc.

Driverless trains might finally shut up that twat Bob Crow

Ah yes of course it is! Stupid of me to forget that. On a mildly related note I hate Westminster station, I always end up going round in circles when trying to change lines there.

Victoria line has been non driver for years ( automatic train running) but someone stays in the cab most drivers will sit where a driver would naturally sit but some will sit on the other side, as to quote some LT bod of years back it might unnerve the travelling public if they didnt see someone in the cab.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
and most underground stations were built at the turn of the last century when such things had not even been thought of, let alone considered.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
yes it should be like that, would stop this sort of shit happening

Pretty much a standard friday and saturday night up here on the tube. You'd be surprised how many drunk teenagers and twenty-somethings think its funny to f#*k about and try and push each other in front of a train coming into a station.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
preditable this will used to show the folly of driverless trains, however i fail to see how CCTV monitored remotely wouldnt have had the same fortunate outcome.

the concern should really be on how kid fell down the gap and what are we going to do about that.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Trains on some lines (Victoria and Jubilee for example) are already ran by a system called Automatic Train Operation (ATO) and a driver sits at the controls in case there is a fault.

Tbh, i cant ever see "driverless" trains ever happening - IE with no staff on board. More use of ATO will be expected though and is being planned for use.

Platform doors were trialled on the Jubilee line extension for airflow, but does also prevent people falling on the track. I dont believe it is being extended to other stations as its incredibly expensive, some stations are curved and some stations also have different types of trains stopping there with different door places.

Dont ask how i know this stuff :lol:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Obviously you are not an engineer or have any concept of construction

funnily enough that is what i want to do with my life if they wanted to they probaly can but with the current technology used on the jubilee line they could not as all platforms on the jubilee extension are straight other stations that are outdoors it could result in a problem the only way to solve it is to build a monorail :)

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
Trains on some lines (Victoria and Jubilee for example) are already ran by a system called Automatic Train Operation (ATO) and a driver sits at the controls in case there is a fault.

Tbh, i cant ever see "driverless" trains ever happening - IE with no staff on board. More use of ATO will be expected though and is being planned for use.

Platform doors were trialled on the Jubilee line extension for airflow, but does also prevent people falling on the track. I dont believe it is being extended to other stations as its incredibly expensive, some stations are curved and some stations also have different types of trains stopping there with different door places.

Dont ask how i know this stuff :lol:

How do you know this stuff?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here