Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking and driving at The Amex

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
12,000 pints sold a game? Comments of four pints before and two at half time etc. I even saw one chap in WSL toilets gripping his beer 'glass' between his teeth to make sure he could fit in both a wee and pint at half time last Friday.

I am not adverse to drink and one day when the buses and bar queues get their act together I may find I have time to partake.

However with the number of fans who drive either to car parks or park and ride, can drivers put hand on heart and say they are not over the limit driving home after matches?

Ducks rapidly and awaits a barrage of replies.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
With the amount of people who said they would refuse to drink at the Amex due to the price increases it must be 12 pints a person I would guess.

When you break it down though that could represent 4,000 people having one pint before kick off and just over 2,500 people having three pints (one before, one at half time and one after) who will (hopefully) be getting public transport all the way home. Certainly there will be a handful who don't care but they probably drive home from the pub after every session as well.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Have you aggressively confronted all of these (potentially) drunk drivers? Really, you should be doing that before raising the issue on here, or the NSC bovver boys will call you out...

If you threaten to 'shank' any drinkers who approach their car, you may win them back over though, so all is not lost!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Most people that go to the AMEX don't drive.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I would imagine that if police did breathalise people coming out of the Amex, a large proportion would be over the limit. I Have a beer at half time and drive home. Just the 1 though. People who know they are over the limit and still drive home are cauc's in my opinion.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We have one person who doesn't drink and drives each game, the rest of us get on it LARGE.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
12000 pints 26500 people. That is less then 1/2 pint each person. Even allowing for the fact that some of the crowd is under age, I would imagine that most people are not drinking to excess.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
I get the bus and the train, and have, roughly, 3 or 4 at a game, so I'm doing my bit to keep the average up :thumbsup:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I heard there were plans for random tests at each of the P&R sites nearer xmas, not sure about Bennett's field and the University though.

D

Deleted member 2719

Golf clubs are worse.
No one uses the public transport to get to them and most golfers are guzzling after a round.
Mind you they normal have the added protection of a retired copper on the committee as a get out of jail free card.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here