Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't Cry For Me Lewes District

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
A Comic Opera by Marina Pepper, Failed Politician (aged 43 and three quarters)

With apologies to A. Lloyd Webber.

Overture:

Oh what a circus, oh what a Show!
Queen Marina leaves town
Now she’s kicked off the council
And has to go home.

She’s gone quite crazy!
Writing crap all the day and emails all night
Falling over herself to get her words right!

Oh what an exit! That’s how to go!
When your curtain comes down
Demand to make an arse of yourself.
It’s quite a sunset
But so good that The People have sent her away
She won’t be making Page 3 of the papers today!

Cue, balcony scene at Lewes Town Hall where the deposed Queen waves her email, quoted below, at the assembled masses who are either mainly ignoring her or hastening to find a sick bucket:

Next week I hang up my chain and depart from Lewes District Council.

The last four years serving as a councillor and in the last year as Chair, has been an absolute privilege.

Before my communications are cut off I wanted to write to you all to say thank you for the hard work and dedication of staff who help to ensure this council serves the people while also adhering to the madness of government targets.

You all do it so well.

As I return to the real world (? ?) I shall take with me new friends, new skills and a far greater understanding of the problems faced by local authorities as they endeavour to address the issues of our day, finding ways forward for improvements often without financial support or statutory requirement.

I shall continue to watch the progress of the council, and in my community I will work hard to ensure that the public is able to rise up to meet the council half way when addressing climate change action in all its guises, from energy conservation to waste reduction. Together we CAN make a difference.

Thank you to all who supported my Chairs events over the year, especially those who worked so hard to make Seedy Saturday a special day indeed. I hope this event can continue through the work of members of the public, supported by the council.

While I know many of us will keep in touch and continue to work together outside the council, I will miss you all, the friendly faces, the dedication, the good humour and sometimes, the odd indulgence.

May you keep in good health, enjoy your work and continually strive to make this good council better, providing value for money and great service - as you do now. But most of all I wish you a long and happy home life.

My new email address is votepepper@yahoo.com I'm there if you need me

Up the revolution

M

xxx

And that is Marina's farewell message sent yesterday to all staff at LDC.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
8cake.jpg

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Returning to the real world? What the 'eck does that say about what she thinks of her local council! :lol: and the odd indulgence? with whos' money? ???

Seedy Saturday? Thats a well named event....

and finally the madness of government targets?? Is she serious? Blimey, talk about biting the hand...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Seedy Saturday? I thought every day was seedy behind the closed doors of LDC.

I decided to take the route of modern pop and composed this ditty to the tune of Rock DJ, but ran out of energy before it got going.

Marina is a white witch,
De Vecchi is a right bitch
Neighbour punches
Baker has an odd twitch

Wave your hands if you want a ground
Can we build it?
(Yes we can)
Thank you
(Ruth)
Thank you
(John)
We got Falmer Stadium

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Can they all have a whip round and get her a kick in the C_UNT as a farewell present.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
roz said:
May you ... continually strive to make this good council better, providing value for money and great service - as you do now.

I think rather a lot of Lewes council tax payers would disagree with the bit about "value for money". Mad old bat :angry:

Hang on -- what's this?

roz said:
votepepper@yahoo.com I'm there if you need me

Gentlemen, start your engines...

roz said:
Up the revolution

M

xxx

:lolol: :D :D :D :D :D :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
she is gunning for lib dem nominee for brighton kemptown at the next general election. having lost heavily last time and throwing a strop at the results and refusing to speak to the press, she may struggle..................so she is also planning to stand as an independent!!

I feel a Seagulls Party Candidate coming on :lolol:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The Lib Dems will NEVER take Brighton Kemptown: it's a Labour/Tory marginal. And of course, construction work on Falmer should have started by the next general election.

If she stands as an independent she'll get about ten votes.

Rougvie said:
Can they all have a whip round and get her a kick in the C_UNT as a farewell present.

Ahem ...

Marina has a view about the use of "that word".

From her latest 'Ask Marina' column on her New Statesman blog, headline ... Revolution isn't easy

http://www.newstatesman.com/200705110007

" ... our newly elected Conservative Councillors. What a bunch of ….. No I promised myself to reclaim the ideology associated with that particular anatomical reference as a positive for womankind . . . "

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Lord Bracknell said:
" ... No I promised myself to reclaim the ideology associated with that particular anatomical reference as a positive for womankind . . . "

Reclaim the who what where when? Positive? Is she going to re-write the history of swear words?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mad as a box of Hares

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Barrel of Fun said:
I see she is complaining about rising house prices. Is she not a homeowner or just trying to appeal to the younger voters?

My current insider understanding of her status on the housing market is best summed up by the chant so often addressed to teams/supporters who are perceived to have a somewhat "transient" lifestyle:

"Where's yer caravan?"

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
roz said:
My current insider understanding of her status on the housing market is best summed up by the chant so often addressed to teams/supporters who are perceived to have a somewhat "transient" lifestyle:

"Where's yer caravan?"

A perfect summation. She is a f*ckin' pikey!

"Thank you for supporting my anti-war protest, as did many old soldiers at the reunion dinner of the Royal Sussex Regiment to which I was invited as a guest and after dinner speaker. All I said was “as a future leader I pledge never to take this great army of ours into an illegal war.” I cannot apologise for the furore, as I never mentioned Iraq. ........."

:jester:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I do agree with her blog that East Saltdean is indeed a challenged location from which to start the "revolution".

the mad old witch :nono:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
What revolution is Ms Pepper talking about?

Is it the Watney's Red Barrel Revolution
A Nimby Revolution
HB&B's BRA Revolution
The Wicker Woman Revolution

I am perplexed. I didn't realise all these nice, Middle England but swinging LibDems were actually revolutionaries.

Is Marina Pepper about to become the Pol Pot of East Sussex?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I doubt she is talking about BRA. Considering she built her career on not wearing one!

Is it not 'her' party that are fighting the wind turbine? ???

What is this green revolution she talks of?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here