Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doing "stuff" on your own

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I think the opposite. Doing stuff on your own is sensible, needing to have someone else there to hold your hand is weird. I always go on holiday on my own - never take a partner if I have one at the time, and if I'm meeting mates out there I'll make sure I'm on different flights and in a different hotel. I often meet up with mates for a pint before and after football, but make sure I'm in a different stand to them at home games and different trains away. Pubs is harder. I always go on my own but after a month or two in the same place half the regulars know you and take to you, so you have to switch to a different pub. Good job Brighton has so many.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
All well and good if you want the job done properly dear sir,however much fun and frolicking can be had trying to teach a willing studentess.

Mmmmm, indeed sir. It's often nice to wolf down a swift and guilty snack, but even better to lay on a lavish banquet for 2 with a willing accomplice who can............... Oooo you get the pjcture :)

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
i went to mexico on my own:facepalm:

I have been to Thailand, China, Macau, Nepal etc on my own, mainly cos I was on my way back from visiting family and fancied a detour.

I sometimes like going to restaurants on my own - it gives me the time to think and reflect on things when I'm busy, and there's no cooking or washing up afterwards.

Don't think I would ever go to the pub on my own though.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
I love going to pubs on my own, I do it very regularly, I have met a lot of friends doing that.

Occasionally I go to away game on my own but again I have met so many people at the Albion that I have never not seen someone I know at a match (Pete Canning counts, right? :lolol:)

One thing I won't do though is sit in a restaurant on my own, not sure why, I eat at home on my own...

Curious one, this year the wife has had to do quite a bit of travelling for work and I was looking forward to having the house to myself and just doing what I wanted for a change, after the second time I HATE it, I do all the cooking when she's at home but can't be arsed to cook for myself and find myself going to the pub on my own just to be around people.

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
Nothing sad about enjoying time out on your own whatsoever. In fact I would go mad if I lost the opportunity to have a couple of quiet pints on me todd from time to time.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
After reading all comments I feel much better now as I was labeled a weirdo at work on Friday.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have sparkly costumes to finish off for my strictly come dancing snail farm

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quite often now I go for a walk on my own basically to either clear my mind or think through something to try to get to the right outcome.

So far it has worked fine and amazing what some solitude can do.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Happy to go to footie on my own and gigs where I can't drag wife or daughters to......used to be quite happy in pub with a good book and a decent juke box. Not sure about cinema though for some reason. Have been on short military touring holidays on my own so quite happy on my own...always have been since childhood

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I have been to see live bands on my own occasionally. Always make sure I get there at a time just a few minutes before the band come on. I can honestly say I have never been to a restaurant alone and imagine it must be pretty awkward and I would just want to eat and get out- which somehow defeats the purpose of the experience. I would only go to a pub alone if I had a paper in which I could hide myself. Done this a few times too.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think the opposite. Doing stuff on your own is sensible, needing to have someone else there to hold your hand is weird. I always go on holiday on my own - never take a partner if I have one at the time, and if I'm meeting mates out there I'll make sure I'm on different flights and in a different hotel. I often meet up with mates for a pint before and after football, but make sure I'm in a different stand to them at home games and different trains away. Pubs is harder. I always go on my own but after a month or two in the same place half the regulars know you and take to you, so you have to switch to a different pub. Good job Brighton has so many.

:lolol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Pub is ok to read paper etc. An evening out by yourself would be a bit weird.

Cinema I could probably do it in the day but would feel a bit odd in the eve.

Never gone to a restaurant alone , can see the benefits of not having to wait for others to order / finish drinks / chat etc

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
never been to the cinema alone but don't see the problem, i also live 5 minute walk from one so would happily pop round the corner and see a film.

Been to the pub on my own a few times but because i'm sociable and could pretty much talk to anyone that's what usually happens. Ive ended up speaking to footie fans while watching a game in pub alone before and while waiting for a very late friend in London earlier this year i got chatting to a girl and ended up getting her number:banana:

wouldn't feel confortable going out to a restaurant and eating along though, not sure why as some people seem very happy doing so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it's easier to do stuff on your own abroad; attitudes are different and if I sit at the bar I'm always able to strike up conversation quite easily using the foreigner card. I also love snowboarding on my own and quite often have gone to a resort 4 or 5 days before my friends arrive to spend some time on my own.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Spent 6 months last year on an acting job going between Lakes, Nottingham and Suffolk. I ate nearly every meal in restaurants on my own, 3 times a day (after a few months that got pretty depressing), went out for days on my own which I loved, hired boats, went to the theatre, looked at sights. That side of it I loved.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I can honestly say I have never been to a restaurant alone and imagine it must be pretty awkward and I would just want to eat and get out- which somehow defeats the purpose of the experience.

I'd say the purpose of going to restaurant is to eat some food so you're no longer hungry :shrug:
I only really do this if I find myself in a strange town, I very rarely eat out in Brighton.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
My day today has been going into town, went to a coffee shop to do some marking, read the papers on the seafront, went to the pub for a pint and then to Duke of Yorks to watch a film. Great stuff :)

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
There's usually lots to do in the pub if I'm on my own like reading the paper, watching football/Sky Sports news, playing the fruit machine etc. Yesterday I was on my tod in Crawley and was watching someone win the jackpot on the fm, got talking and he had a few grams of top quality mandy on him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Took the dog for a 2 hour walk on my own yesterday along the beach at Shoreham and Lancing and that was bliss.

Edit... Is that strictly on your own though ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here