Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog Lovers - How long did your Dog live for ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My best mate, Harry, the Golden Retreiver is 14 tomorrow. A pretty grand age for a GR as they normally only make 12. He is looking pretty good and I hope has another year or two left.

My other Dog, Oskar, a Lurcher lived to 16 but had to be put down 2 years ago.

What breeds have you got, have had and what age did they live to ?

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I'm a Dog handler and the majority of my dogs have been put to sleep once they are not fit to work any longer. Usually around 7/8 years old. I have a pet White GSD at home who is coming up to 15, although i doubt she will last another winter as she cant get upstairs these days and has gone deaf.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
We had a real Heinz 57 until a few years ago (part whippet, part Labrador, part ridgeback and part several oter things) she died of cancer aged around 10 but as she was a resue dog we weren't completely sure of her age.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My Dog loves his life with me. He has been treated really well with loads of love and I think that makes a big difference. Here's to another couple of happy years together.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
We had a rough collie who sadly had to be put down at the age of 16.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
I'm a Dog handler and the majority of my dogs have been put to sleep once they are not fit to work any longer. Usually around 7/8 years old. I have a pet White GSD at home who is coming up to 15, although i doubt she will last another winter as she cant get upstairs these days and has gone deaf.

7 to 8? Breaks my heart you have to do that, my GSD lived to 16.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Can't they find homes or is it not possible after a life of work?

Had a Saluki and a lab cross. They both lived until 13 when we put them down. Socks, the Staffy/Border Collie is going strong at 9 but no longer lives with us.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
My dog absolutely worships the ground I walk on and hates it when I leave him to go to work, (he stays at home with Mrs Muzzy). If I'm off work then he goes just about everywhere with me. He even likes to warm my bed up for me:).

54ecd76b.jpg

He's only 16 months and I hope he continues to lead a long and happy life.
A totally brilliant and fantastic buddy to me.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My dog absolutely worships the ground I walk on and hates it when I leave him to go to work, (he stays at home with Mrs Muzzy). If I'm off work then he goes just about everywhere with me. He even likes to warm my bed up for me:).

54ecd76b.jpg

He's only 16 months and I hope he continues to lead a long and happy life.
A totally brilliant and fantastic buddy to me.

Lovely photo.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
we also have a golden retriever who is nearly 14, struggling now though. back legs are going and he really does stink of shit...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have a far higher regard for dogs than I do people.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
My mums two jack Russell's lived til 17,had them put to sleep within a week of eachother for various reasons,have to say that the 2nd one who did nothing for weeks as was ill actually licked my face for the first time in months and stared at me just before he went,i actually felt so happy after in a way as that's what he wanted bless.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Can't they find homes or is it not possible after a life of work?

QUOTE]

It is getting rarer and rarer for them to be re-homed. The way they look at things these days is that should the dog bite someone after it has been rehomed then it will come back on them and cause problems/bad publicity. You have to remember that the dogs are trained to chase and 'hold' people who shout and run away basically. So you can't take them down the local park (lots of people shout and run innocently). There are many other reasons why it is just not a sensible thning to do for most dogs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here