Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does BHA have a new identity?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It had to change really, didn't it? You do get the impression some would still prefer if we stayed a small, lower league club where some fans were made to feel quite special and important.
It's an acceptable trade off IMO for a club with ambitions to compete at the top one day and for fans who wish to watch a successful team at a club run like a professional outfit rather than a cottage industry.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I dont mind being another customer, im happy to spend spend spend after all that TB has done for our club. New shirt, ticket for spurs and gillingham, season ticket, drew the line at private seat licence :)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if sustaining a place in the championship and pushing for the top flight means being treated as a customer rather than a fan and a few people have to miss out because tony bloom will not allow their heads to be inserted up his bottom and find out his every plan and detail, then i am all for the change

for the first time in AGES, it actually feels like we are a club going somewhere. and that it is 99% down to a more professional attitude coming from the board room

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
As a fan, I still feel wanted.
I'm quite happy that the club want to take my money off me every month because it's been a bloody long time waiting for this!! Onwards and upwards, I say.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im not sure clubs will ever treat their grass roots fans as "customers", were a different creature with alligence and no competition. this is probably to our detrement, they know we will keep coming back, the shitest shirt in the world will still sell x thousands every year etc. on the other hand there will always be that personal touch, the chaps and chapettes in the shops and manning hte ticket line are probably all fans and will take alittle extra to sort out a problem (and there will be a few who'll never be fixed and say the club is incompetent)

as for identity, we'll see how it goes on the pitch, thats were teh identity is really forged.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I can also understand though how some who have put in countless hours of their own time may now feel a little used and discarded now it appears it's job done.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I can also understand though how some who have put in countless hours of their own time may now feel a little used and discarded now it appears it's job done.

I am not so sure,i played a part,a small part others played greater roles-some people went beyond the ca.ll of duty in pursuit of the aim,but i would not want gratitude,maybe a season ticket for life:jester:-but gratitude would come for me in seeing others happy and enjoying the fruits of the labour.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting analysis. I like that we're a club on the up, but I genuinely prefer the clubs in the lower leagues where on the whole the clubs and the fans seem closer together.
Me too. A part of me hopes we do not reach the Premier League. Just don't like what I see up there. The foreign money, the big-shot self-important "stars", the plastic fans, etc. etc.

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
How needy do some people sound.

At the time we fought for the club but now it comes down to it some did it for the kudos and hero worship, the self back slapping felt so damn good and now you're gonna miss it!

How sad.

We all dreamt of this time when the club would move from it's sleeping giant position and be able to compete again on a level playing field so just sit back and enjoy it, if that's too hard then their are plenty of other clubs that are struggling and feel free to dedicate your time and experience to help them in their plight. They may even thank you for it but when they are in a position to become self sufficient and run themselves as a business again don't be surprised if once again you feel less appreciated and the needy supporter will return.

I'm ecstatic we won the title last year, I'm ecstatic we have Falmer, I'm ecstatic we will be playing in the 2nd division next season, and I'm ecstatic we appear to be developing in terms of the professional manner in which we operate (although these things can only really be judged over the medium- to long-term). But I am a little concerned at some of the uncritical judgments being passed here.

First of all, can we (and I'm talking about the whole country here, not just Albion fans) please not keep on confusing "change" with "progress". They are not the same thing, although they can go hand-in-hand. Change is most certainly not the same as progress, and progress can occur without a great deal of change (or even any!).

Secondly, a number of posters seem to think that "I like the attitudes and practices which are common in the lower leagues" equals "I want the Albion to be a small, unsuccessful club". That's just stupid. Nobody is saying that. Many (most?) of us on here have supported the club in the First and/or Second Division, as well as when we were 92nd - and indeed would have continued supporting the club if it had ever become a non-league team. Where we are should have absolutely no relevance in our support for the club. So, yes, I would far rather we were a solid club which cared for the fans and the community and which I could afford to go and see while playing in (say) the Blue Square South than be a club like Chelsea. I would, of course, far prefer being a well-run, solid club which cared for the fans and the community while playing at the very top than either of these, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, eh?

I like the general ethos at the club, which survived the attacks on it during the mid-90s by A****r and B******i. We aren't a massive club - and never have been - but we've had some success. We've had periods of some great football (not always successful) and, except for those years we prefer to forget, has generally felt like a club that is close to the fans. As long as it stays that way then great. But if we become mere customers, then I will be gutted. For me, that would equal the damage done by the aforementioned scum, even if we were safely in our own ground and playing in the top division.

That's not to say that that is happening, and I am quietly confident in the current club management and their stewardship. But please don't say you'll accept anything to see us successful on the field. It ain't always worth it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I fear that, whilst we used to be fans, we are now turning into "customers". The railways tried this with passengers. It didn't work for them, either.
What? You don't think this new way is working, you think we'd be better off as we were. Nonsense.

We used to be treated to a load of rubbish, but we kept turning up, which made us feel like genuine fans of our club, paying our money and supporting our team despite how depressing it all was. Now that the football isn't depressing, we slightly lose the right to claim we're better than the plastic fans. But this is how it's suppsed to be. Paying a fair price and buying tat from the shop, and in return watching entertaining football. How else should it be?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
fatbadger- sums it up to a tee.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I'm ecstatic we won the title last year, I'm ecstatic we have Falmer, I'm ecstatic we will be playing in the 2nd division next season, and I'm ecstatic we appear to be developing in terms of the professional manner in which we operate (although these things can only really be judged over the medium- to long-term). But I am a little concerned at some of the uncritical judgments being passed here.

First of all, can we (and I'm talking about the whole country here, not just Albion fans) please not keep on confusing "change" with "progress". They are not the same thing, although they can go hand-in-hand. Change is most certainly not the same as progress, and progress can occur without a great deal of change (or even any!).

Secondly, a number of posters seem to think that "I like the attitudes and practices which are common in the lower leagues" equals "I want the Albion to be a small, unsuccessful club". That's just stupid. Nobody is saying that. Many (most?) of us on here have supported the club in the First and/or Second Division, as well as when we were 92nd - and indeed would have continued supporting the club if it had ever become a non-league team. Where we are should have absolutely no relevance in our support for the club. So, yes, I would far rather we were a solid club which cared for the fans and the community and which I could afford to go and see while playing in (say) the Blue Square South than be a club like Chelsea. I would, of course, far prefer being a well-run, solid club which cared for the fans and the community while playing at the very top than either of these, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, eh?

I like the general ethos at the club, which survived the attacks on it during the mid-90s by A****r and B******i. We aren't a massive club - and never have been - but we've had some success. We've had periods of some great football (not always successful) and, except for those years we prefer to forget, has generally felt like a club that is close to the fans. As long as it stays that way then great. But if we become mere customers, then I will be gutted. For me, that would equal the damage done by the aforementioned scum, even if we were safely in our own ground and playing in the top division.

That's not to say that that is happening, and I am quietly confident in the current club management and their stewardship. But please don't say you'll accept anything to see us successful on the field. It ain't always worth it.

I completely agree.

This period of transition is inevitable; we need crows of 18k + and that's not going to come from the 4-5 k loyal fans from Withdean. But how these new fans are inducted is important. I think there has been, demonstrated on here in particular, an excessive focus on money and signings which is not what the Albion should and has in recent times been about. We need the 'identity' of the club to not be dependent on money. I think the club is built on good football, good and loyal support and decency and this is what we should promote. We can always aim for a good style of football but we need to make sure the support is consistent and loyal throughout.

I have a feeling some people will not be wanting/expecting a multi-million-pound signing every transfer window and that's what it'll take to get them excited.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Its all changed now , the ruffians and riff raff are sneered upon. Will I be able to afford a £1,100 season ticket in the Prem ?

BHAMAN

Dec 25, 2010
Shoreham
We’re still ‘fans’ and the club trying to be more professional in the way they deal with us doesn’t change that, or the way we feel about the club.
I’ve lived through us playing old div three through to the top flight and down again. To me the club only lost its identity briefly when we were exiled in Gillingham. Prior to that and ever since, this club has always been and felt the same to me. I don’t think anything will change that now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here