Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone own a Kindle?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm thinking about investing and thought I'd canvas the opinion of the world's most discerning internet chat site...

Your feedback would be much appreciated as its a fair investment for me!

Thoughts?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
yes, and yes you absolutely must. Love it, and has light reflective screen so can read in sunlight unlike tablet pc's.

I got the wifi, don't need 3g, i upload loads of stuff at home. Once charged you could read for days without needing to recharge the battery.

I promise you won't regret it

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Kindle

yes, and yes you absolutely must. Love it, and has light reflective screen so can read in sunlight unlike tablet pc's.

I got the wifi, don't need 3g, i upload loads of stuff at home. Once charged you could read for days without needing to recharge the battery.

Somebody rang me up to day and mentioned it. I had not ideat she was talking about.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

I see it is quite expensive to buy the e-books for kindle. I was interested in getting one myself.
Are the plenty of free e-books you can download for it? And can you view pdfs on a kindle or do they need to be packaged in some sort of kindle format before viewing?

How restrictive is the unit as regards file formats?

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
I use mine loads. The battery life is great about 3 weeks if you don't have the wifi enabled. It's comfortable to hold and as an avid reader i like having a selection of books to read dependent on mood!. I took mine on holiday last month and it was great just packing a slim device rather than the normal 10 paperbacks!.... i have the 3G model but this is just a bonus and not really needed. The devise seems quite sturdy and it has survived in the bottom of my bag and has also been dropped a couple of times.... i would recommend getting a cover for it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I see it is quite expensive to buy the e-books for kindle. I was interested in getting one myself.
Are the plenty of free e-books you can download for it? And can you view pdfs on a kindle or do they need to be packaged in some sort of kindle format before viewing?

How restrictive is the unit as regards file formats?

not restrictive at all, i have work based PDF files on it, you can download easily or you can send by email from any computer. when you set up kindle you get an email address yourname@kindle.com any attachments in most formats inc pdf just send from pc to that email and it will upload to kindle automatically hen its in wifi range.

loads of free books available on amazon and many more if you want to download paid for material from sites that offer it free (though you shouldn't !), lots of formats work on kindle.

have a read of this for formats;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200493090

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes,I've got one and I really like it,though I also have my library ticket because books are cheaper at the library.

It is VERY tempting to buy at the Kindle store,so I am quite picky about what I buy,and the 69p cheapies tend to be the ones written by the fourth year book club ; little punctuation,bad grammar,no story..."and then I woke up" finishes.

Kindle ,then,a yes in many circumstances,but it'll never replace "proper" books.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I have one and so does my other half. She loves it and will never go back to books. I can't get used to the grey screen and the way page layouts seem out of synch with the story / plot. There also seem to be far more typos than in traditional books. I'll continue to use mine for holidays only. I think time will show that kindles will favoured by women more than men.

A tip, particularly for the businessy types; the Kindle now comes packaged with the beta version of a web browser; as such the 3G enabled version can be used to get free internet access, particularly useful abroad where the data charges on mobiles are still massive.

I don't have one at the moment but am very keen to get one.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
not restrictive at all, i have work based PDF files on it, you can download easily or you can send by email from any computer. when you set up kindle you get an email address yourname@kindle.com any attachments in most formats inc pdf just send from pc to that email and it will upload to kindle automatically hen its in wifi range.

loads of free books available on amazon and many more if you want to download paid for material from sites that offer it free (though you shouldn't !), lots of formats work on kindle.

have a read of this for formats;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200493090

Thanks for the info.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Well, I think that basically seals it...

Thanks all! Really useful info! Its been on my wishlist for a while but my predilection for books held me back a bit. My mind is however now made up. Kindle it is!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've never seriously thought about getting one before reading this thread. Just been to look at the magazine selection (assuming most books I might want would be available), and there are not many mags there, also magazines (not just the jizz mags) tend to have colour pics. So, am undecided again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here