Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone own a Kindle?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I have the software on my phone and I've read a few books on it - even with a smaller screen its still perfectly legible, might be an idea to try the software on a smartphone first to get an idea (as it's free).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yup, love it, wouldn't be without it. You can also share you library with up to 5 other kindles.

I bought one, not expecting to like it but as English books are difficult to get here and expensive I thought I'd give it a try. Amazon said I could send it back for a full refund within 30 days.

It took me about a week to get used to it but now I use it all the time, and it's so much easier when travellin.

My screen died a month ago, I got on to Amazon, they said send it back and they'd send me a new one. They sent the new one before I'd sent the old one back and refunded my postage, no questions asked. Top notch customer service.

So yes, buy one. And buy it from Amazon throgh Bozza's link

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Love mine, but I regret not getting the 3G version - there's no contract, and you can do a bit of surfing outside the range of your wifi. Would be handy at times, if somewhat limited.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Great bit of kit.

My only gripe so far is that sometimes (not always by any means) the ebook version of books are more expensive than the heavily discounted cost of a paperback on Amazon. There's loads of free stuff though and that's made me read things that I'd never bothered with before - e.g. the Sherlock Holmes and Father Brown stories plus loads of the classics.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Agree with the general feeling got one and love it, still has that "book" feel not really a gadget feel. Just remember its an eBook and good at it but rubbish if you want other functions, including the web browser only use in emergencies as it poor. Also agree no need for the 3G version wifi is fine.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Agree with the general feeling got one and love it, still has that "book" feel not really a gadget feel. Just remember its an eBook and good at it but rubbish if you want other functions, including the web browser only use in emergencies as it poor. Also agree no need for the 3G version wifi is fine.

But 3G is free through Amazon, so why not have it ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I got one for Christmas and after getting used to it I love it.

Download and install Calibre, it's an ebook manager and also lets you schedule things like news downloads.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
amazing bit of kit.

use calibre software and convert pdfs to mobi and throw them on.

most of the books i read are not on kindle stores so i use the device solely for the mass collection of pdfs i have :)

the internet functions and gadgets on it are a bit lame, but as a reader it is the nuts.

sometimes i dowload a few websites, convert them to mobi in calibre then read in kindle.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Bought Mrs BS one for her birthday [via NSC link] the 3G version, used a card registered at a UK address so that the book/magazine availability comes from amazon.co.uk and not .com. This point is important. She loves it & soon caught up with all those books she was looking for & finding difficult to locate in Spain. She returned the compliment to me last June on my big 65 birthday, again via Bozza's link & again 3G version. Provided the kindles are registered on the same account, all the contents are shared. Great when Peter James new book was released it was almost a race! So many free books both fiction & non & most old classics are free. We find the free Spanish lesson books & dictionary very useful. Enjoy it when you get one. One last point if you can afford the leather cover with built in light go for it. No disturbing your partner when reading in bed, great idea it is. Forgot to say that we bought our daughter in Australia one last Christmas, books are very expensive there. Reckons it's the best present she ever received!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here