Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone know...(season ticket related)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
So it's 10% of the final amount that I will loose?

WE're not allowed jobs in term time, and in holidays it's very hard to find someone to take you on for a couple of weeks.

you what? where the f*** are going to uni?

All of my Uni's love the fact that I could work.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
sell drugs, online poker, buy and sell gold.....any of these done looking for only 20 quid a month is easy peasy....no need to go with any risk.

A season ticket for any over 18's is 32.91 a month, not 20.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I do go to Oxford, terms are 9 weeks on average and so I figured they'd be 4/5 home games a term and hopefully I'd come back for three of them.Obviously, if I decide to cancel it, I'll pay back my Grandad!

But let me correct you on two points...

1) student loan isn't this big sum of money we get to use... absolute rubbish. It's paid in three installments throughout the year. My accommodation (the cheapest option which I have taken) is £3200 a year roughly and my maintenance loan is £3564... not exactly a large sum I can squander away carefree.

2) the season ticket is hardly a small amount... the club have made a massive error not having a student ticket. I am a season ticket holder this season and pay about £130 pounds... next year, even though my circumstances haven't changed, I have to pay an adult ticket which as everyone knows is roughly £500.... that's a ridiculous hike, especially as the cheaper under 21 tickets were introduced to get young fans on board... we haven't grown up three years in the space of one year! Many 16-18 year olds will go on to attend uni, especially those who live in the south and are in the demographic which can afford season tickets, and quite a few (like me) would love a season ticket for the first year of Falmer and are willing to travel back. I wouldn't dream of doing it for the 2012-13 season when I'm in final year but after 7 years as a season ticket holder at Withdean I, in my opinion understandably, would love a season ticket for the first season at Falmer.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Oh I see, another poor bloody students thread, you'd lulled me into thinking this was about not being bothered to get a job that pays you £400 a year.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
2) the club have made a massive error not having a student ticket. I am a season ticket holder this season and pay about £130 pounds... next year, even though my circumstances haven't changed, I have to pay an adult ticket which as everyone knows is roughly £500.

I sympathise with people in your situation, but the fact that the STs have sold out at £500, suggests that they haven't...

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Apply to be a steward - you get to see the game and get paid (also you can pay your Grandad back)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I 2) the season ticket is hardly a small amount... the club have made a massive error not having a student ticket. I am a season ticket holder this season and pay about £130 pounds... next year, even though my circumstances haven't changed, I have to pay an adult ticket which as everyone knows is roughly £500.... that's a ridiculous hike, especially as the cheaper under 21 tickets were introduced to get young fans on board... we haven't grown up three years in the space of one year! Many 16-18 year olds will go on to attend uni, especially those who live in the south and are in the demographic which can afford season tickets, and quite a few (like me) would love a season ticket for the first year of Falmer and are willing to travel back. I wouldn't dream of doing it for the 2012-13 season when I'm in final year but after 7 years as a season ticket holder at Withdean I, in my opinion understandably, would love a season ticket for the first season at Falmer.

Shit happens, like many people you have been unlucky that the Amex is ready this year, had it been 5 years ago you would have been laughing, stop feeling sorry for yourself.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I sympathise with people in your situation, but the fact that the STs have sold out at £500, suggests that they haven't...

This means that they haven't in the short-term. Longer-term, if we are a steady Championship or yoyo between Champ and L1, then there may be a risk of not getting back the 'lost generation' - especially as there will be so few 'on the day' tickets and no unreserved seating. So it'll be v hard to get (re-)introduced to the Albion by mates ...

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Yeah, maybe less of mistake in terms of money but I think (for many many reasons) it's sill decision... including the reason that a uni is located very near to the stadium and brighton has a huge student population.

In other news, in case anyone cares, If I can get a job this summer i'm going to do all hours I can so I don't have to give up season ticket - I think, especially as losing £50 is quite a lot.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeah, maybe less of mistake in terms of money but I think (for many many reasons) it's sill decision... including the reason that a uni is located very near to the stadium and brighton has a huge student population.

Aah - I get it. So to attract the £125 a year from some students at Sussex, who are mostly not even local, and will be moving home once their course (and cheap ticket days) are finished, the club should keep back a couple of thousand from local Albion fans queuing up to pay £500.

Genius.

Are you doing economics at that there Oxford?

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Aah - I get it. So to attract the £125 a year from some students at Sussex, who are mostly not even local, and will be moving home once their course (and cheap ticket days) are finished, the club should keep back a couple of thousand from local Albion fans queuing up to pay £500.

Genius.

Are you doing economics at that there Oxford?

Firstly, yes I am doing Economics - Economics and Management.

And secondly you've completely missed the point.

a) The brighton and hove area is moved to by many who end up with jobs in london (students are frequently everntually these people)
b) Many students from around sussex go to uni at Sussex Uni, Brighton uni etc in part because frequently they have to gaurantee an interview to students from these areas and they have to favour home county students... in my experience and according to statistics this is very common especially in Brighton.
c) It goes beyond purely the direct revenue recieved, the university objected to the building at Falmer and if certain renovations etc are proposed having a unviersity whose students view Brighton and Home favourably may well stop vehement opposition.
d) It also hits people who have just graduated college and are getting their first jobs and thinking about renting flats etc, but with everything in the economy (higher fuel, higher national insurance, prevalence of part time employment meaning many are underemployed) as it is they're squeezed as well.
e) there are actually quite a few people like me in this situation, I have friends in London who would commute back but with train prices up as well and the high price of season ticket it isn't feasible.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I find it laughable that people think it's always easy for a student to find ways to be able to afford a student ticket.

I've got one but tbh I really can't afford it.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004

another 'mind control by the system' course.

the economy is f00ked, and any simple maths can show this, and management can only be learned by.....actually managing.

the economy crashed a few years ago, the media and education arenas are just hiding this very well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Although obviously not spelling.

a) The brighton and hove area is moved to by many who end up with jobs in london (students are frequently everntually these people)
b) Many students from around sussex go to uni at Sussex Uni, Brighton uni etc in part because frequently they have to gaurantee an interview to students from these areas and they have to favour home county students... in my experience and according to statistics this is very common especially in Brighton.
c) It goes beyond purely the direct revenue recieved, the university objected to the building at Falmer and if certain renovations etc are proposed having a unviersity whose students view Brighton and Home favourably may well stop vehement opposition.
d) It also hits people who have just graduated college and are getting their first jobs and thinking about renting flats etc, but with everything in the economy (higher fuel, higher national insurance, prevalence of part time employment meaning many are underemployed) as it is they're squeezed as well.
e) there are actually quite a few people like me in this situation, I have friends in London who would commute back but with train prices up as well and the high price of season ticket it isn't feasible.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
You have to keep quiet if you're a student round here mate. First mention of it and it's a feeding frenzy, KneeOn makes some over zealous comments which he later has to apologise for and before you know it, it's a short, 6 page binfest.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Apply to be a steward - you get to see the game and get paid (also you can pay your Grandad back)

This seeems like the solution, you'll get to see the game and the club will probably fully refund your ST if your working for them. They will also give you a bit of money to pay for your travel back to Brighton 23 times a year

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
You have to keep quiet if you're a student round here mate. First mention of it and it's a feeding frenzy, KneeOn makes some over zealous comments which he later has to apologise for and before you know it, it's a short, 6 page binfest.

YOU WHAT, f*** OFF, VIVA LA REVOLUTION :jester:

Personally, aside from the high cost of the actual ticket (which i've come to terms with because ultimately 32 quid a month on my season ticket is something i'm more likely to enjoy than 209342084238094 minutes i'm never going to use on a contract phone) its actually rather cheap if you stay local/localish. The train from Portsmouth and back is 15 quid. Luckily I have a job so I can afford to spend a bit of money and that will continue as there is a store in my franchise in Portsmouth.

Its a harsh jump more than others but you just have to come to terms with it for teh sake of the albion.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
No I'm not doing spelling - get over it. I haven't claimed any elite status just because I go to Oxford so don't try to pretend I have.

Seagulls4ever is right. There's a common portrayal of students having money to burn and going out every night etc, at some places its true but mostly it's on parents money not government money.

Brunswick, I don't know if you're being serious but you're so wrong in every way that I really hope you're not. If you are, just a few points... the economy is not 'f00ked' by any stretch of the imagination, our GDP is about the level it was in the early 2000s... we were fine then weren't we! Our 'debt crisis' is a bit of a myth in my opinion, our bonds mature in many years to come and we're in less debt than we have been in 200 of the last 250 years. I'm not going to continue because I've already shown what a ridiculous statement that is.

With regards to management, please tell me what you think we study in management...

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My question is, surely you would have known what your student loan will be Vs your costs for the year before you applied for the season ticket?

I certainly had calculated this to see if I could afford university at all before I even applied.....granted I started uni in 2002

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here