Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dodgy Taxi Drivers

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I do have my doubts about some of them passing the knowledge in Brighton judging by their abilities. I can't help wondering if their relations are sharing the driving or else someone else is sitting the test for them but equally I can't see how they can get away with it for long. We used to have spot checks occasionally even late at night

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Dodgy Cabbies? Some twat wanted to charge £45 to take me from Brighton to Peacehaven! told him to shove his Cab up his arse.On the same rank another took me for same journey for £16.Complained to the Council about it,quoting the Cabs licence no. etc. but heard no more about it.

A lot of Asian taxi drivers share the car and licence with their brother/father! Etc So can keep earning money all the time!
A cabby told me the other day that the Coptic Christian church on davigdor road in Hove buys the taxis for them and they share it and pay the church back!

do gooders WHO AREN'T HELPING ANYONE OUT IN THE LONG RUN
I'm not sure what's being said here.

For a start ... Coptic Christians aren't Asian. For seconds, the Coptic community in Hove is renowned for providing support to its members. And, for thirds, it's perfectly legitimate within the local licensing system for a vehicle to be driven by more than one licensed driver.

In the long run, they are doing a lot MORE than "helping people out".

In 2007, 140 out of the 1,640 taxi drivers licensed by Brighton and Hove City Council were members of the Brighton Sudanese Taxi Forum.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
perfectly legitimate within the local licensing system for a vehicle to be driven by more than one licensed driver.

I think what is being suggested is that due to the lack of road knowledge by certain cabbies is that licensed drivers are letting family members who are not licensed drivers drive the cab taking fares.
I assume this is illegal LB ?

A lot of Asian taxi drivers share the car and licence with their brother/father! Etc So can keep earning money all the time!
A cabby told me the other day that the Coptic Christian church on davigdor road in Hove buys the taxis for them and they share it and pay the church back!

I think what is being suggested is that due to the lack of road knowledge by certain cabbies is that licensed drivers are letting family members who are not licensed drivers drive the cab taking fares.
I assume this is illegal LB ?

That seems to be what is being insinuated ... but with NO evidence to support it. The FACT is that the Sudanese Coptic community is well represented in the Brighton and Hove taxi trade and has its own organisation that works very closely with the Council and the Police. That will mean that it is more than likely that members of the Brighton Sudanese Taxi Forum will be operating within the law.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
That seems to be what is being insinuated ... but with NO evidence to support it.

Assuming that cab drivers working on the ranks have to pass some form of test to prove competence that i again assume would include local road knowledge. then there is evidence is there not ? As even in my limited use of cabs having to give them directions within he town to me is evidence enough.
Is letting family members who are not licensed drivers drive the cab taking fares illegal ?

Assuming that cab drivers working on the ranks have to pass some form of test to prove competence that i again assume would include local road knowledge. then there is evidence is there not ? As even in my limited use of cabs having to give them directions within he town to me is evidence enough.
Is letting family members who are not licensed drivers drive the cab taking fares illegal ?
It's certainly illegal. The insinuation that I am saying lacks any evidence whatsoever is the suggestion that Seagull1989 made that this particular illegal practice (if it occurs) is associated with the support that the Coptic community gives to taxi drivers.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It's certainly illegal. The insinuation that I am saying lacks any evidence whatsoever is the suggestion that Seagull1989 made that this particular illegal practice (if it occurs) is associated with the support that the Coptic community gives to taxi drivers.

Ok, sorry missed that one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My car was once hit by a taxi. Curiously, the driver wasn't interested in exchanging details. He just offered me an immediate cash settlement, worth more than the minor damage that he'd caused.

I wonder what that was all about?

My car was once hit by a taxi as well. I was stationary at the time and it was totally his fault. I filled out all the paperwork and about 6 months later was surprised that he challenged me. With my word against his and in the intereste of cost my insurers said we should accept 50/50. Incensed, I said take it to court as there was no way I was accepting blame. Eventually and after a lot of pleading my company let me do this. The taxi driver came armed with his cock and ball story, numerous photos of two roads in Hove to demonstrate the manoeuvre he claimed I made, a late witness who funnily enough was a taxi driver, and a cocky swagger. The story fell over when it was pointed out there was not sufficient room in the road to carry out the turn he claimed I made, he started to change his story at this point. To cut a long story short I won and the judge, in a rather polite and euphamistic way, branded him a liar. His swagger had deserted him when I began staring at him and smiling as it became apparent the judge was calling it my way and picking up all the inconsistencies in his story.

My solicitor said that this approach is standard from taxi drivers as they know that 9 times out of 10 the insurers will go 50/50. My message is fight the *****.

I also hate them for their stance against the Tuc-tucs and the leader of the Brighton taxi association (or whatever they are called) is the biggest self-interest Tory **** you will ever meet. He will oppose anything which might challenge their monopoly or be favourable to customers. Utter utter ****.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS the lying **** I'm talking about was white and as British as they come.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
My car was once hit by a taxi as well. I was stationary at the time and it was totally his fault. I filled out all the paperwork and about 6 months later was surprised that he challenged me. With my word against his and in the intereste of cost my insurers said we should accept 50/50. Incensed, I said take it to court as there was no way I was accepting blame. Eventually and after a lot of pleading my company let me do this. The taxi driver came armed with his cock and ball story, numerous photos of two roads in Hove to demonstrate the manoeuvre he claimed I made, a late witness who funnily enough was a taxi driver, and a cocky swagger. The story fell over when it was pointed out there was not sufficient room in the road to carry out the turn he claimed I made, he started to change his story at this point. To cut a long story short I won and the judge, in a rather polite and euphamistic way, branded him a liar. His swagger had deserted him when I began staring at him and smiling as it became apparent the judge was calling it my way and picking up all the inconsistencies in his story.

My solicitor said that this approach is standard from taxi drivers as they know that 9 times out of 10 the insurers will go 50/50. My message is fight the *****.

I also hate them for their stance against the Tuc-tucs and the leader of the Brighton taxi association (or whatever they are called) is the biggest self-interest Tory **** you will ever meet. He will oppose anything which might challenge their monopoly or be favourable to customers. Utter utter ****.
You seem to be tarring all drivers with the same brush, i was a cab driver and got out of it because of the competition - certainly no monopoly by one group or company. I didn't hate tuc tucs, but if you want to believe the Argus we were at war. And i didn't try to rip off anyone over insurance although i did pay out cash settlements a couple of times, it works out cheaper keeping your no claims.

I use cabs alot now and must say I despair at some of them not knowing were I live and it does seem to be the foreign ones but i guess it must be hard when English is your second language. It is difficult remembering everywhere all the time when it's your first.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You seem to be tarring all drivers with the same brush, i was a cab driver and got out of it because of the competition - certainly no monopoly by one group or company. I didn't hate tuc tucs, but if you want to believe the Argus we were at war. And i didn't try to rip off anyone over insurance although i did pay out cash settlements a couple of times, it works out cheaper keeping your no claims.

I use cabs alot now and must say I despair at some of them not knowing were I live and it does seem to be the foreign ones but i guess it must be hard when English is your second language. It is difficult remembering everywhere all the time when it's your first.

It's more the leader of the association I have an issue with. He moans and opposes anything which might be better for customers and a slight cost to the industry whether it be taxi fees, disabled access, more licenses being issued , Tuc Tucs.

Mind you, the taxi driver I had last night was a lively guy. We spoke about the homosexuality law which ceased in '67 and the International Modern style of apartment blocks in Highgate.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Dodgy Cabbies? Some twat wanted to charge £45 to take me from Brighton to Peacehaven! told him to shove his Cab up his arse.On the same rank another took me for same journey for £16.Complained to the Council about it,quoting the Cabs licence no. etc. but heard no more about it.

Unfortunately there is no case to answer as you are going out of the city boundary the journey does not by law have to be done on the meter, you can legally barter with the driver when going out of the city but must be done on the meter when within. I was a taxi driver and would always do those journeys on the meter as would most good drivers. Some drivers take the pi$$, just make sure the journey is on the meter before setting off when going outside of Brighton. Most Streamline cabs have stickers saying they will only charge the metered rate(Yellow sticker)

kip

Aug 2, 2011
It's more the leader of the association I have an issue with. He moans and opposes anything which might be better for customers and a slight cost to the industry whether it be taxi fees, disabled access, more licenses being issued , Tuc Tucs.

Mind you, the taxi driver I had last night was a lively guy. We spoke about the homosexuality law which ceased in '67 and the International Modern style of apartment blocks in Highgate.

You say a 'slight cost to the industry' but in the end I left because I was not earning enough money and the council kept issuing more licences and wants all cars to be disabled access - I couldn't afford to run a cheap car, the disabled london cars cost £36 000. You couldn't get on the ranks half the time but still more licences. The disabled issue was never a hackney problem as shown by many surveys, it was a private hire issue as that was where the unacceptable waiting times were happening but still they picked on the hackney drivers.
The tuc tucs were like Crawley Town and off the radar for most drivers, they would never be licensed by the hackney office as they did not meet strict vehicle requirements and actually ran on a bus licence. And when a tuc tuc can pick up 4 people with luggage at Brighton station and take them up Albion Hill they might need to start worrying.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
was chatting to one on Thursday night. He said the knowledge is Brighton, Hove, Saltdean, Portslad, Peacehaven, Woodingdean, etc. If you ask me it's big ask to know all those like the back of your hand without years of driving.

That said I often tell them politely which route I would prefer them to go.

I rarely get dodgy drivers but I always have an eye on the 1-2-3 rate which I am sure some "accidently" put you on wrongly. Pissed a few months ago I discovered how expensive it is on a Saturday night after 12 when they stick you on the bank holiday rate!

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
My friends family are taxi drivers and Iranian but been here 30 odd years but still have the accent. Like many they share the cabs with their wives who are also licensed. All are very nice people who often stop and pick my girlfriend up if they see her trying to get home and don't charge a penny. Lovely people and excellent and considerate drivers, and I feel for them on a friday/saturday night with the pissheads out there trying to do runners, etc.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
was chatting to one on Thursday night. He said the knowledge is Brighton, Hove, Saltdean, Portslad, Peacehaven, Woodingdean, etc. If you ask me it's big ask to know all those like the back of your hand without years of driving.

That said I often tell them politely which route I would prefer them to go.

I rarely get dodgy drivers but I always have an eye on the 1-2-3 rate which I am sure some "accidently" put you on wrongly. Pissed a few months ago I discovered how expensive it is on a Saturday night after 12 when they stick you on the bank holiday rate!
drivers have no control over the rate, the meters have calendars in them which turn the rate on and off automatically. The council set and seal every meter.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I got an amazing cabbie the other night from the rank just down from North Street. We're going to Warren way and off he sets going roughly the same route as the 2.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
FWIW my mum used to be a licencing officer for the Hackney Carraige and told me a bit about the test ect and that seems hard enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here