Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dodgy Taxi Drivers

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
drivers have no control over the rate, the meters have calendars in them which turn the rate on and off automatically. The council set and seal every meter.

that's nice to know, cheers!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
that's nice to know, cheers!

Some meters can have their tariffs "downgraded" (switched from tariff 2 to tariff 1 - mine could but not since the last update), but not upgraded.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
There was always a difference in the public's perception of the quickest way to Woodingdean from West Street. Some preferred Elm Grove way others thought up Freshfield Road was shortest. I always asked which they preferred. Coming from Woodingdean I sometimes used to zip along Queens Park Road and cut down to avoid traffic. Any other thoughts.
PS The thought expressed on this thread earlier that taxi drivers will benefit from slow journeys by letting other taxis out is rubbish. Far more lucrative to get another job as quickly as possible

There was always a difference in the public's perception of the quickest way to Woodingdean from West Street. Some preferred Elm Grove way others thought up Freshfield Road was shortest. I always asked which they preferred. Coming from Woodingdean I sometimes used to zip along Queens Park Road and cut down to avoid traffic. Any other thoughts.
PS The thought expressed on this thread earlier that taxi drivers will benefit from slow journeys by letting other taxis out is rubbish. Far more lucrative to get another job as quickly as possible
According to Google Maps, the SHORTEST way from West Street to Woodingdean is via North Street, Edward Street and Queens Park Road (3.7 miles, 12 mins), but the QUICKEST way is via Marine Parade, Bedford Street and Freshfield Road (3.9 miles, 11 mins). The route via North Street, Marlborough Place, Lewes Road and Elm Grove is 3.8 miles, 12 mins.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
According to Google Maps, the SHORTEST way from West Street to Woodingdean is via North Street, Edward Street and Queens Park Road (3.7 miles, 12 mins), but the QUICKEST way is via Marine Parade, Bedford Street and Freshfield Road (3.9 miles, 11 mins). The route via North Street, Marlborough Place, Lewes Road and Elm Grove is 3.8 miles, 12 mins.

Many South & East Woodingdean residents use seafront, then Ovingdean.
Taxi drivers may avoid that route, as too quick with a lack of traffic lights = £ rip off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Standing (no) joke, that when their business is quiet, they do deliberately slow down to catch all red traffic lights, and go on routes with more lights.

I heard a tale that London cabbies fit smaller wheels to their vehicle so the meter turns quicker.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My car was once hit by a taxi as well. I was stationary at the time and it was totally his fault. I filled out all the paperwork and about 6 months later was surprised that he challenged me. With my word against his and in the intereste of cost my insurers said we should accept 50/50. Incensed, I said take it to court as there was no way I was accepting blame. Eventually and after a lot of pleading my company let me do this. The taxi driver came armed with his cock and ball story, numerous photos of two roads in Hove to demonstrate the manoeuvre he claimed I made, a late witness who funnily enough was a taxi driver, and a cocky swagger. The story fell over when it was pointed out there was not sufficient room in the road to carry out the turn he claimed I made, he started to change his story at this point. To cut a long story short I won and the judge, in a rather polite and euphamistic way, branded him a liar. His swagger had deserted him when I began staring at him and smiling as it became apparent the judge was calling it my way and picking up all the inconsistencies in his story.

My solicitor said that this approach is standard from taxi drivers as they know that 9 times out of 10 the insurers will go 50/50. My message is fight the *****.

I also hate them for their stance against the Tuc-tucs and the leader of the Brighton taxi association (or whatever they are called) is the biggest self-interest Tory **** you will ever meet. He will oppose anything which might challenge their monopoly or be favourable to customers. Utter utter ****.

The tactic of the mate/colleague who later suddenly appears as a witness has happened to me.

Driving past Roedean course on the A259 at a quiet time of the day, a pensioner driving drifted into my lane resulting in a collision.

We were the only 2 cars around, and he admitted full responsility. He informed me in passing that he was a retired cop.

When the insurance paperwork started, he now said it was my fault, and that an off-duty-policeman friend had happened to be driving along the A259 at exactly the same time, had witnessed everything and it "was all my fault". He had now come forward as a witness.

I soon gave up when I realised its was impossible to fight 2 liars of a certain profession. Seems like some taxi drivers struggle with honesty too.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Taxi drivers may avoid that route, as too quick with a lack of traffic lights = £ rip off.
Taxi drivers don't go that way because it costs more money, it may be quicker but longer and the meter will measure the distance. Sort of blows your argument out the water.

kip

Aug 2, 2011

you can't turn right into north street from west street.. even taxis.lol

Google Maps says that West Street to Cowley Drive, via Ovingdean is 5.5 miles, 16 mins. Via Freshfield Road and The Down Hotel, it's 5.1 miles, 15 mins. What you think is a "rip off" seems to be anything but.

you can't turn right into north street from west street.. even taxis.lol
Indeed. Google Maps are usually quite good at avoiding pitfalls like that. North Road and then Edward Street would be an option, though.

I get confused about what turns are permitted and which are prohibited, because I once worked on a project to look at options for pedestrianising various bits of central Brighton. We came up with one scheme that would have pedestrianised the bit of Western Road in front of Marks and Spencers. All eastbound buses would have had to make a right turn past the Prince of Wales, then go under Churchill Square and into West Street and then right from West Street into North Street. This was before the rebuilding of Churchill Square, btw.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The tactic of the mate/colleague who later suddenly appears as a witness has happened to me.

Driving past Roedean course on the A259 at a quiet time of the day, a pensioner driving drifted into my lane resulting in a collision.

We were the only 2 cars around, and he admitted full responsility. He informed me in passing that he was a retired cop.

When the insurance paperwork started, he now said it was my fault, and that an off-duty-policeman friend had happened to be driving along the A259 at exactly the same time, had witnessed everything and it "was all my fault". He had now come forward as a witness.

I soon gave up when I realised its was impossible to fight 2 liars of a certain profession. Seems like some taxi drivers struggle with honesty too.

That's really shit. I know how you felt when the paper work came in. I was flabbergasted at the cabbie's version of events as they were not even close to what happened: I had just pulled into a bus stop to check an address and cabbie pulled in front of me but bashed the front drivers side as he pulled in across me. His version was that he was driving along behind me and I turned into a road, swung around and straight out back onto the road in a arching u-turn. And I hit him as I came out and back across the road. The road in question is the single lane down the side of Coop on Blatchington Rd in Hove. We pointed out that my Beetle could not make such a manoeuvre on such a small single lane road. He then adjusted his story slightly. The judge mentioned he found it difficult to understand why anyone would make such a difficult manoeuvre when easier options were available, mentioned that the cabbies version of events didn't add up, had changed during the hearing and was minded to believe me.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Perhaps this is the way forward for Brighton Taxi's?

taxi_overload 23 people and a goat[8].jpg

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Indeed. Google Maps are usually quite good at avoiding pitfalls like that. North Road and then Edward Street would be an option, though.

I get confused about what turns are permitted and which are prohibited, because I once worked on a project to look at options for pedestrianising various bits of central Brighton. We came up with one scheme that would have pedestrianised the bit of Western Road in front of Marks and Spencers. All eastbound buses would have had to make a right turn past the Prince of Wales, then go under Churchill Square and into West Street and then right from West Street into North Street. This was before the rebuilding of Churchill Square, btw.
Yeah rather than edward st you would use carlton hill and up to queens park road but you start zig zagging too much and people think you are taking the mick, like some of the posters here.
You don't know yorkie do you? He drove a cab and worked for council planning. Strange but true

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not sure what's being said here.

For a start ... Coptic Christians aren't Asian. For seconds, the Coptic community in Hove is renowned for providing support to its members. And, for thirds, it's perfectly legitimate within the local licensing system for a vehicle to be driven by more than one licensed driver.

In the long run, they are doing a lot MORE than "helping people out".

In 2007, 140 out of the 1,640 taxi drivers licensed by Brighton and Hove City Council were members of the Brighton Sudanese Taxi Forum.
yes ,but it seems like their subbing the work out too unlicensed "brothers" :rolleyes:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seem to recall on here some years ago there was an NSC household name who managed to open a cab door into oncoming traffic in West Street, resulting in aforesaid door being bashed clean off. Think there was even photos. Or did I imagine it?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I stopped using cabs,unless emergency, several years ago, it was normal to go from Brighton Railway station to Westdene via 7 dials and Dyke Road,then drivers took a route down Trafalger St on to New England road which is very busy so traffic is down to a crawl. I mentioned this to a regular taxi user who informed me that cabbies used this route knowing they would be delayed and therefore the fare and tip would be higher I had always been of the opinion that cost was related to distance,however on my next trip I noted the meter going up as we stood at the lights,so my cab trips are rare now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here