Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dodgy Taxi Drivers

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
At the Mill Road P&R a few years ago a Shoreham mini-cab driver reversed into my car while I was waiting to leave - he obviously couldn't see my Alfa 147 from the drivers seat of his C5.

Needless to say he didn't hear my horn and we exchanged details.

Phoned him the next day, he said that I drove into HIM and the passenger in his car saw the incident as well. Thing is he was by himself in his car.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Once got a cab back from the marina about 1 am one evening,told the cabbie i needed ciggeretes,don't worry he said and sold me some out of his boot..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Once got a cab back from the marina about 1 am one evening,told the cabbie i needed ciggeretes,don't worry he said and sold me some out of his boot..

I guess sometimes they work for the side of good!

My car was once hit by a taxi. Curiously, the driver wasn't interested in exchanging details. He just offered me an immediate cash settlement, worth more than the minor damage that he'd caused.

I wonder what that was all about?

kip

Aug 2, 2011
It doesn't delay them for hardly any time, they earn extra and get back to the rank perhaps a couple of mins later tops. Well worth their time. Talking to a cabbie a few months ago who was saying exactly what you said, he likes to get back to the rank asap but a lot of cabbies do stall on a fayre to get a few extra quid a day. Why the hell else would they let every car out etc? I'm not paying them to be unecessesaraly polite to other road users, I'm paying to get me where I need to be quickly otherwise I'd take the f***ing bus.
I think you are paranoid that cab drivers are trying to rip you off for 20p when it is not in their interest, I think you should get the bus and stop hassling cab drivers for 20p

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
My car was once hit by a taxi. Curiously, the driver wasn't interested in exchanging details. He just offered me an immediate cash settlement, worth more than the minor damage that he'd caused.

Perhaps he was over the limit?

kip

Aug 2, 2011

The insurance would have cost him more, losing no claims ete

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
I own and drive a cab in Brighton and am amazed at the general feeling on here that we are mostly not professional.
20p aint gonna make me rich , 15 to 20 jobs a day , some for as little as £3.00.
Yes we pull up on double yellows to drop people off , should we proceed 300 yds down the road and tell em to walk back ? ts a door to door service for christs sake .
If you get held up behind one dropping off a fare , the passenger is as much to blame , that passenger is sometimes YOU ! You watch the meter all the way there and only when at your destination do you start to look for your cash by which time the meter has stopped and now your costing ME time and money ?
If you do ever have a problem with a licensed cab in Brighton and Hove , PLEASE report it . Take a note of the car plate no on the rear bumper or on the rear doors .
We aint all cheats , we have our fair share but what industry doesn't ?
If you do not report it the problem will not go away.
This year over the festive period its fare and a half from i believe 21.00 on xmas eve through till 0600 on 27th and double fare on new years eve from 21.00 through till 06.00 on 1st Jan.

The hackney carraige office can be contacted on 01273 294429 for any complaints.
If you still have any worries regarding you safety , i would urge you to ring or pre book a cab in which case the job details are logged on the computer in the office . If you catch one from the rank , note the plate number upon entry but do realise that the job details will not be logged .
Have a great Xmas , get drunk , be merry but please dont puke in mi cab :)

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove

Cab insurance is a very costly business when your consider the amount of public liability built in (mine is £1000.00 and thats with full no claims)
The excess is normally around £300.00 so anything less than that would be normally "settled by the roadside".

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I don't get them often but never really had any problems but I did get one in Australia and the guy was telling me how he and his family had just moved to Perth a month ago....

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Does anyone remember on the news about 8 months ago a woman was charged with racism and came close to being jailed for asking her local cab company for an English driver. It made the national news.
Well permit me to tell you a true story.Quite topical at the moment.
I drove a Brighton taxi for 5 years in the 90's and often did the Friday night club run from West St. when they chucked out at 2 am.
I once picked up a really pretty girl with a very skimpy outfit and when she was settled in she said " Thank Goodness you are English" She went on to tell me that almost without fail if she got an Asian driver, of which there were plenty in Brighton, the journey home would always be uncomfortable with constant leering in the rearview mirror, sexual comments and innuendo, mobile phone numbers handed to her on bits of paper, asking her for dates and generally quite scary. I told her that she must make a note of their badge number and report it immediately. She wouldn't was worried that they'd lose their job.
So, is that racism? Doesn't she have a right to a safe journey home

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I own and drive a cab in Brighton and am amazed at the general feeling on here that we are mostly not professional.
20p aint gonna make me rich , 15 to 20 jobs a day , some for as little as £3.00.
Yes we pull up on double yellows to drop people off , should we proceed 300 yds down the road and tell em to walk back ? ts a door to door service for christs sake .
If you get held up behind one dropping off a fare , the passenger is as much to blame , that passenger is sometimes YOU ! You watch the meter all the way there and only when at your destination do you start to look for your cash by which time the meter has stopped and now your costing ME time and money ?
If you do ever have a problem with a licensed cab in Brighton and Hove , PLEASE report it . Take a note of the car plate no on the rear bumper or on the rear doors .
We aint all cheats , we have our fair share but what industry doesn't ?
If you do not report it the problem will not go away.
This year over the festive period its fare and a half from i believe 21.00 on xmas eve through till 0600 on 27th and double fare on new years eve from 21.00 through till 06.00 on 1st Jan.

The hackney carraige office can be contacted on 01273 294429 for any complaints.
If you still have any worries regarding you safety , i would urge you to ring or pre book a cab in which case the job details are logged on the computer in the office . If you catch one from the rank , note the plate number upon entry but do realise that the job details will not be logged .
Have a great Xmas , get drunk , be merry but please dont puke in mi cab :)

Couple of points....

We don't all think your bad.
People forget that as taxi drivers drive for a living,they are/seem aggressive when in actual fact they are (not all) wired and 2/3 steps ahead of other drivers reactions/anticipations with road sense.
It's a difficult job and new regulations CPC? etc could make it harder.

The general public are blind sheep

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I wasn't saying I think all cab drivers are trying to rip people off, I was merely pointing out that of late I seem to have had a few dodgy ones. I have to confess surprise that he average cab fare is £3. Does it not cost £2.40 the minute you open the door? What lazy fuckers are getting in a cab for 60p ride? Plus I wouldn't have thought you'd get out of the taxi rank for £3 these days?!

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
I wasn't saying I think all cab drivers are trying to rip people off, I was merely pointing out that of late I seem to have had a few dodgy ones. I have to confess surprise that he average cab fare is £3. Does it not cost £2.40 the minute you open the door? What lazy fuckers are getting in a cab for 60p ride? Plus I wouldn't have thought you'd get out of the taxi rank for £3 these days?!
The average fare in my cab is about £6.00 , a £10.00 job is considered a good un !
The flag fare (or starting rate) is £2.60 . A typical job from London Rd to Hanover would be £3.40 ish . Sometimes you will wait an hour for that job and therefore earn less than the minimum wage at times. Of course during peak times the earning potential is much better.
I hope your future cab journeys are good uns .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In my experience, foreign cabbies are f***ing USELESS. They have no local knowledge, and just seem to do the job on the fly.

Example. Ipswich away a couple of months ago. We order 2 cabs to take 8 of us from our hotel, 2-3 miles into the town centre, asking for "a decent pub thats ok for away fans". Two asian cabbies rock up, they can barely comprehend what we are saying, and we all end up getting dropped off outside a couple of pubs that, on approach (and once the cabs have f***ed off), are "home fans only". So we end up walking about a mile back to an utter CACKHOLE of a pub by the station having been redirected by the door staff who wouldn't let us in.

Sorry, I don't care what nationality you are but if you're earning a living in a town in this country then LEARN YOUR f***ing JOB.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Why is it that Cab drivers think they own the road? I especially love it when they just stop on double yellows right in front of you so you cant pass, take a f***ing age to sort the fare out then just turn in the road while the queues of traffic that have built up right behing you. Then drive away without the mearest gesture to say thanks for waiting.

at the gate to the pavillion where the road goes to york place or up the hill, there was a queue at the lights going to york place. the f***ing cabby not only beeped me, but nearly ramed me as he forced his way through the gap. then called ME a wanker for waiting in a queue. tit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here