Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dodgy Taxi Drivers

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Who should one report a phoney taxi driver to? I am certain I have had at least two in the past year or so whom did not match the license photo.

The council, they're the ones who issue and ultimately run them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If I was a legit cabbie I'd be pretty pissed off with all these dodgy drivers flooding their market at the moment, must make a dent on their incomes surely?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Dunno what it's like in Canada but I'd watch that kind of language on here. This is about Dodgy cabs not Asians.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
What don't I understand exactly?

Driving slower doesn't bump the fare up.
The meter works on the pulses (or sine waves more recently) to the speedo.

You can do the same journey at different speeds, and the fare will be the same (assuming no stops for lights, traffic, etc)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Driving slower doesn't bump the fare up.
The meter works on the pulses (or sine waves more recently) to the speedo.

You can do the same journey at different speeds, and the fare will be the same (assuming no stops for lights, traffic, etc)

Yes, you do get drivers doing a lot of letting other cars out, waving people across roads etc to try and get that bit extra. Daft twats really cos if they get me there quicker they get more of a tip that they would earn piffling about treating me like a numpty.

If you are not happy with the taxi driver who takes you get his badge number, the plate number on the cab and registration number and report he/she to the council. The council do take complaints seriously and will take action. Never use an unlicensed taxi.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Yes, you do get drivers doing a lot of letting other cars out, waving people across roads etc to try and get that bit extra. Daft twats really cos if they get me there quicker they get more of a tip that they would earn piffling about treating me like a numpty.
Yeah I'm sure they do it for an extra 20p

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yeah I'm sure they do it for an extra 20p

YOu could likely earn an extra 20 quid a day doing that, 6 day week, £140, £560 a month, say more conservatively a tenner a day still over £250 a month isn't it clever clogs?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
If you are not happy with the taxi driver who takes you get his badge number, the plate number on the cab and registration number and report he/she to the council. The council do take complaints seriously and will take action. Never use an unlicensed taxi.

Used to be Mr Collins at the council who was notoriously strict and would order taxis off the road for any misdemeanors like dirty cars etc but I believe he has retired now and things have become a bit lax

kip

Aug 2, 2011
YOu could likely earn an extra 20 quid a day doing that, 6 day week, £140, £560 a month, say more conservatively a tenner a day still over £250 a month isn't it clever clogs?
They would have to do 100 fares a day for that 20 quid, trust me taxi drivers don't earn 560 quid a month for letting people out

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Taxis are a way of life in New York and they are heavily regulated by the Taxi Commission. This means reasonable fares, agreed rates to airports, not too many cowboys and complaints are dealt with quickly.

I was shocked at how much a taxi costs in Brighton. It seems like Brighton Council is only too happy to take the money for the licences but perhaps not too keen to regulate the way they operate.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Adur taxis are the 4th most expensive in the UK & are so comfortably off they only need to work if its daylight & start laughing manically if you're stupid enough to tip

Taxis are a way of life in New York and they are heavily regulated by the Taxi Commission. This means reasonable fares, agreed rates to airports, not too many cowboys and complaints are dealt with quickly.

I was shocked at how much a taxi costs in Brighton. It seems like Brighton Council is only too happy to take the money for the licences but perhaps not too keen to regulate the way they operate.

The taxi fares have not kept pace with running cost so the cabbies are working for less than they were 10 years ago!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
They would have to do 100 fares a day for that 20 quid, trust me taxi drivers don't earn 560 quid a month for letting people out

okay, well I'm sure even making an extra 100 quid a month is worth their while and having sat in endless cabs as they have let others out etc and seen the meter click up 20p here, 20p there it would soon add up.

I don't really give a shit but lets not kid ourselves they don't f*** bout like this.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
okay, well I'm sure even making an extra 100 quid a month is worth their while and having sat in endless cabs as they have let others out etc and seen the meter click up 20p here, 20p there it would soon add up.
Taxi drivers earn more money by doing jobs quickly and getting onto the next fare or in the rank queue. The meter clocks up £2.40 every time they put it on much more than messing around with 20p here and there

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Taxi drivers earn more money by doing jobs quickly and getting onto the next fare or in the rank queue. The meter clocks up £2.40 every time they put it on much more than messing around with 20p here and there

It doesn't delay them for hardly any time, they earn extra and get back to the rank perhaps a couple of mins later tops. Well worth their time. Talking to a cabbie a few months ago who was saying exactly what you said, he likes to get back to the rank asap but a lot of cabbies do stall on a fayre to get a few extra quid a day. Why the hell else would they let every car out etc? I'm not paying them to be unecessesaraly polite to other road users, I'm paying to get me where I need to be quickly otherwise I'd take the f***ing bus.

Who should one report a phoney taxi driver to? I am certain I have had at least two in the past year or so whom did not match the license photo.
The taxi licensing office at Hove Town Hall. And it's always worth contacting the taxi firm as well.

email: hco[MENTION=3357]brighton[/MENTION]-hove.gov.uk
telephone: (01273) 294429
fax: (01273) 296655
The Hackney Carriage Office
Hove Town Hall
Norton Road
Hove
East Sussex
BN3 3BQ

They like complaints to be in writing and with sufficient information to allow the driver and vehicle to be identified.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here