Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doctor Who

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's been so lovely to fall in love with the show again. I was so disappointed to hear that tonight was the last one for a while. It's been a really enjoyable series.

It's so amusing to read the people calling out the show for its woke nonsense. Yet still they watch.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It's been so lovely to fall in love with the show again. I was so disappointed to hear that tonight was the last one for a while. It's been a really enjoyable series.

It's so amusing to read the people calling out the show for its woke nonsense. Yet still they watch.
Overall a good season. Disappointed with the last one - not my cup of tea but I hope it's done well enough on Disney+ to keep it going for a bit (they've already filmed Season Two).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Thought it was very good

questions

what was the stuff about ruby’s mum all about?
will ruby return.
angie has turned from drunken landlady to an evil mary poppins. What does she know about the dr’s demise and what was that bit before her and ruby’s grandmother where she turned to dust, if she is another god of something or other

an I over thinking it

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Thought it was very good

questions

will ruby return.
angie has turned from drunken landlady to an evil mary poppins. What does she know about the dr’s demise and what was that bit before her and ruby’s grandmother where she turned to dust, if she is another god of something or other

an I over thinking it
It was an ok, run of the mill RTD season ender.

I didn't get :

- Ruby's mum and if she was so ordinary what was the big deal about her ?

- The snow appearing at intervals.

Something interesting I read by the way :

Mrs Flood has been supposedly been dressing as various past companions. The white clad Mrs Flood at the end was dressed as Romana I, maybe. She has been dressed as Clara as well. That has got to be significant in the next series.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was an ok, run of the mill RTD season ender.

I didn't get :

- Ruby's mum and if she was so ordinary what was the big deal about her ?

- The snow appearing at intervals.

Something interesting I read by the way :

Mrs Flood has been supposedly been dressing as various past companions. The white clad Mrs Flood at the end was dressed as Romana I, maybe. She has been dressed as Clara as well. That has got to be significant in the next series.
Oooh, I missed that. Good spot.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The penny has dropped for me about Ruby's mum.

- The Gods break the 4th wall at will. Mrs Flood and I think Meastro have done this. Sukekh no doubt can do this.

- Ruby's mum is ordinary in the doctor who universe.

- In the viewers' universe ( through that 4th wall ) Ruby's mum was believed to be important.

- Sutekh picked up on this importance through the 4th wall.

In many ways this is drivel, but it is also clever and an interesting concept.

OK, so my only question is now what was the idea about the snow appearing ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Finally watched last night’s episode, there’s a lot to unpick here

- Mrs Flood is 100% going to be around for a while
- UNIT are going to be taking a much larger role now IMHO
- I doubt we’ve seen the last of Ruby
- The 73 yards thing is still unanswered from a few episodes ago

Much more as well

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thought it was very good

questions

will ruby return.

an I over thinking it
My missus, who has studied film, is quite relaxed and tells me there is a story arc and we are being kept in the dark deliberately.

You will recall that everyone turned to dust was resurrected.

And.....yes. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Finally watched last night’s episode, there’s a lot to unpick here

- Mrs Flood is 100% going to be around for a while
- UNIT are going to be taking a much larger role now IMHO
- I doubt we’ve seen the last of Ruby
- The 73 yards thing is still unanswered from a few episodes ago

Much more as well
The 73 yards was partially answered in the last episode.

In parallel I am watching all the old episodes and have just started on the Pertwee. I am reminded how much I liked the Liz companion played by Caroline John (so much so I changed my user pic). I read that she was replaced because the produced felt the audience would prefer a passive 'what does that button do, Doctor?' type of 'female', but was sacked without explanation, this badly affecting her confidence as an actor. I remember as a kid being so disappointed by her replacement. Ah, well.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

The issue for me is that it is such a mixed bag this series.

3 episodes I have really disliked - 1,2 and 6. But that is more than balanced by the awesome episode 7, and the very decent 3,4,5 and 8.

I don't know what I am going to get before watching. Other than waiting for the review feedback before deciding to watch or turning off mid episode I'm stuck with a number of disappointments.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I watched the first two episodes and gave up. Is it good enough to binge the rest on the weekend or should I get some fresh air?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Couldn't face the Bridgerton gay doctor episode (from the reviews). I'll catch up with the subsequent episodes later. The doctor was never gay and Bridgerton is bollocks!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Watched the last Liz Shaw episode and the first Jo Grant last night on the iPlayer. Caroline John was excellent. The absolute best. Arch, clever, funny, independent . . . .The Jo Grant character is abysmal. Passive, 'girly' and dim.

I am distraught.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Watched the last Liz Shaw episode and the first Jo Grant last night on the iPlayer. Caroline John was excellent. The absolute best. Arch, clever, funny, independent . . . .The Jo Grant character is abysmal. Passive, 'girly' and dim.

I am distraught.
I am NOT accepting that. Jo is an amazing (albeit traditional) companion - poor old Liz had nowhere really to go as a companion (and happened to get herself pregnant hence her vanishing) whilst as the Brigadier says himself what the Doctor needs is someone to pass him his test tubes and tell him how brilliant he is. I guarantee you'll be shedding a tear or two in a couple of seasons when she leaves. That said, I did enjoy that first Pertwee season enormously, especially Inferno and Ambassadors of Death.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am NOT accepting that. Jo is an amazing (albeit traditional) companion - poor old Liz had nowhere really to go as a companion (and happened to get herself pregnant hence her vanishing) whilst as the Brigadier says himself what the Doctor needs is someone to pass him his test tubes and tell him how brilliant he is. I guarantee you'll be shedding a tear or two in a couple of seasons when she leaves. That said, I did enjoy that first Pertwee season enormously, especially Inferno and Ambassadors of Death.
Watching now. Suzi Quatro's little English cousin is goggling and emoting furiously :down:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What happened?

What are you doing?

Hurry doctor!

Doctor, where are they taking us?

Doctor!

Some sort of quarry....

:facepalm:

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I've enjoyed this new season, but I've noticed I don't feel any desire to re-watch them.

In the peak RTD era, I'd watch every episode at least twice. And when Capaldi was the Doctor I watched most episodes more often than that just because I loved his performances so much.

But this season, I'm very much "one and done". Not sure if that says anything at all about the show or about me, but it feels weird to find myself *not* thinking "ah, I'll rewatch this week's Doctor Who".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've enjoyed this new season, but I've noticed I don't feel any desire to re-watch them.

In the peak RTD era, I'd watch every episode at least twice. And when Capaldi was the Doctor I watched most episodes more often than that just because I loved his performances so much.

But this season, I'm very much "one and done". Not sure if that says anything at all about the show or about me, but it feels weird to find myself *not* thinking "ah, I'll rewatch this week's Doctor Who".
I have rewatched all the post 2016 episodes in the last few years, but I like to wait a bit. I still haven't watched the last series of Dr Gurner.

On second watch I was slightly irritated by some of the Tennant, but liked the Capaldi and Gurner ones much more than first time around. Smith was amazing first time round and a tiny bit less than amazing second time around. Ecclestone was and was again brilliant.

There again I'm a big fan. In my very old rerun parallel universe, I am hoping to warm to Jo Grant (it never happened when I was a teenager and my hopes are not high now; "Doctor, what's happening? What's that over there? Doctor!") , but I'm still mourning the passing of Liz Shaw 😢

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just finished watching the latest series on iPlayer. My verdict (which I'm sure you're all interested in): WAY better than the Chibnall era. Probably not as good as RTD's first spell, but then it was all new then. The last two-part story was a little bit overblown, but 'Dot and Bubble' I thought was excellent. Also Gatwa is much better than Whittaker. Dr Who always has to have some sort of 'presence' and Whittaker didn't have it. Not because she's a woman, just because she wasn't right for the role.

I've just got my usual gripe about modern Dr Who in that they're too powerful and have too many tools. I remember when we used to think that K9 made the Doctor too powerful! And I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of Angie from Eastenders. Fair enough, I shall look forward to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here