Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doctor Who tonight

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have found this series has been far more gripping then the previous 2, and the quality has been pushed up a notch or 2; although I'm not sure about The Sound of Drums, it seemed to lack something, in my opinion.

However, I can't wait for Saturday; especially as we have no idea as to what is going to happen - which is unusual

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The series really started with Human Nature.

Please RTD no more. Whilst entertaining you have proved you cannot write Dr Who.

What the f*** was all that looking in the time vortexstuff?

Why make a fuss about utopia then when the master treat it with contempt - was this actually a lie all along?

Jack hanging on the tardis? The sonic screwdriver getting the doctor out of everything.

How did the futurekind woman get into the base? Honestly - where are the remaining humans actually going?

Why bring the master back at all - who needs an insane time lord played by an actor notorious for not repeating roles? its not like we're gonna see Simm again next year.

Gallifrey looked like a the comic strip from the 80s apart from susans reference to an orange sky all it needed was the shade and a floating rassilon head.

Why why WHY? Please please f*** off Davies.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The series really started with Human Nature.

Please RTD no more. Whilst entertaining you have proved you cannot write Dr Who.

What the f*** was all that looking in the time vortexstuff?

Why make a fuss about utopia then when the master treat it with contempt - was this actually a lie all along?

Jack hanging on the tardis? The sonic screwdriver getting the doctor out of everything.

How did the futurekind woman get into the base? Honestly - where are the remaining humans actually going?

Why bring the master back at all - who needs an insane time lord played by an actor notorious for not repeating roles? its not like we're gonna see Simm again next year.

Gallifrey looked like a the comic strip from the 80s apart from susans reference to an orange sky all it needed was the shade and a floating rassilon head.

Why why WHY? Please please f*** off Davies.

Although I don't agree with every point you've made, I can see where you are coming from....

I think that RTD has done an incredible job in bringing DW back to our screens, and is a genius when it comes to the overall story arcs and themes within each season. Where he seems to cause problems (especially with the older fans I feel) is when he comes to write individual espisodes. His love of pop culture references (such as Voodoo Child in SotD), do jarr with some people (as was the use of Toxic in End of the World), and the whole family stuff puts others off.

I feel he tends to go for a broad brush approach, where the development of the story is more important that explaining every detail of how we got there; so why the Future Kind Annie Lennox woman got into the Silo, and the fate of the humans in Utopia is not explained. There is one possible caveat to that of course, which is that all of this stuff might be relevant to the finale, as RTD is very good at setting up very subtle MacGuffins, sometimes a long way before they are needed for plot development / resolution.

So, I would say - sit back and enjoy the finale, it might just surprise you, after all, it's been a long time without Who in telly.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I recall reading somewhere that they do go back to the Utopia story. Not sure if its Saturday or next series though.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I think too many people try to dissect every part of a TV show like this and are quick to criticise.
They seem to forget that its an entertainment show predomenently aimed at kids and when I sit and watch it with my 9 year old and 7 year old I see their faces light up almost from start to finish of every episode.

The kids can sometimes teach us just to enjoy!

Last edited:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For those of you who remember your HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, Zaphod Beedlebrox also looked into the infinity box, which was aking to a crumb on a cream cake.

It appears RTD may have lifted this idea from Douglas Adams.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I think too many people try to dissect every part of a TV show like this and are quick to criticise.
They seem to forget that its an entertainment show predomenently aimed at kids and when I sit and watch it with my 9 year old and 7 year old I see their faces light up almost from start to finish of every episode.

The kids can sometimes teach us just to enjoy!

agreed. If you really want to sit there and dissect Doctor Who to finds its faults then I suggest that you take a long hard look at your life.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For those of you who remember your HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, Zaphod Beedlebrox also looked into the infinity box, which was aking to a crumb on a cream cake.

It appears RTD may have lifted this idea from Douglas Adams.

Or perhaps the other way round?

After all Douglas Adams worked on Doctor Who as a writer in the old days, so there would have been a fair degree of cross fertilisation.

Either way - Dr Who was first in its use of the whole time vortex / infinity wibbly wobby timey wimey stuff...

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Or do they? Remember, "wibbly-wobbley, timey wimey stuff" ;)

tap tap tap tap, tap tap tap tap....

I thought the referance in the shakespheres code explained it much better.

When Martha said that we know that humans survive as she comes from the 21st centuary the doctor used back to the futher as an example that people in the futher will fade away if the world got destroyed

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yep, if anyone gets confused by time travel they should just watch the Back to the Future trilogy. Everything becomes so much...clearer!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
sonic screwdriver = magic wand (dr/ master academy = hogwarts. dont belive me - lj's full of academy era fics with the rani as hermione)

utopia arc may be resolved this weekend - i thought martha looked to be in the company of the fella they saved from the futrekind.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
sonic screwdriver = magic wand (dr/ master academy = hogwarts. dont belive me - lj's full of academy era fics with the rani as hermione)

utopia arc may be resolved this weekend - i thought martha looked to be in the company of the fella they saved from the futrekind.

I have heard rumours (aren't they always) that the Utopia arc will continue into series 4... then again another theory is that the Cunard Line sticker seen in Blink will ead to an arc for series 4.

The rumour mill is also spinning out that we might be seeing Kylie at the very end of Saturday's episode, leading us into the Christmas Special she's said to be appearing in.... not quite sure how I feel about that one!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The rumour mill is also spinning out that we might be seeing Kylie at the very end of Saturday's episode, leading us into the Christmas Special she's said to be appearing in.... not quite sure how I feel about that one!

I think it's pretty much confirmed that Kylie's in the Xmas episode, although the earlier rumours that she's playing a sexy cyberlady have been denied.

1066gull

i remember this

was a beautiful evening and decided to go for a run after it finished. my 2nd doctor who episode, ( i watched utopia on the internet)

wish i could start again from that point.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
A strange old bounce and no mistake!

I am looking forward to the next special with Michelle Ryan and Lee Evans.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A strange old bounce and no mistake!

I am looking forward to the next special with Michelle Ryan and Lee Evans.

The Planet of the Dead... sounds intruiging... who could these dead be? Time Lords? Perhaps an Egyptian link to the Book of the Dead?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The Planet of the Dead... sounds intruiging... who could these dead be? Time Lords? Perhaps an Egyptian link to the Book of the Dead?

As part of it is being filmed in Dubai, this would suggest some desert scenes.

Can't explain the red London bus though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here