Dobbie the target...

macky

Dec 28, 2004
nothing like giving a bloke a chance is there

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was pleased when we signed Dobbie, however until yesterday IMO he had been woeful and that includes his first touch. Despite this we should never barrack or abuse our own players.

Some of the trouble I think everyone had got this idea of a 'big target man' into their heads and Dobbie is more creative and does not fit that mould whatsoever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly. He is quality on the ball, some lovely touches. He's got quicker feet than any other player in our squad. And the way he is talked about so fondly by Blackpool and Swansea fans who have seen him a lot more than we have should be a bit of a clue.

The abuse from some of our fans yesterday who clearly know very little about football was just pathetic.

Correct.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He's proven at this level and will come good. I don't understand why Brighton fans always seem to be so quick to write off new signings.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I actually think he might be carrying an injury... when he was hitting shots in the warmup (which incidentally he missed every shot, and his head dropped noticeably after the last few - even in just a warmup) - he stopped shooting and appeared to be limping...

During the game it did appear as if he wasn't trying but I think thats more to do with a) we are used to CMS running after everything and b) the above niggle

I am sure he will come good, there is a very good player there

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Did you go yesterday?

I did. He looked useful to me, but we need to play to his strengths. Quick feet, can play a killer ball, not lightning quick but thinks ahead.

He didn't bother trying to outjump a 6 foot 3 centre half because he is 5 foot 8. Perhaps balls to feet might have been a better choice to him.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
If the effort he had about mid way through the second half had gone in, we would all have been writing pages about it on here. Shot appeared to be going well wide, then finished only about a foot wide. Prize idiot next to me wouldn't leave him alone all match: waste of money, go back to Swansea, etc. Mind you, he was giving Barnes a parcel of abuse throughout too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wasn't trying to turn it into a 'only have an opinion if you went to the game' discussion, but I found it hard to understand how such a post could be "the most ignorant post on here for some time". I'd actually say it sums up the problem with him quite well. Whether you think he's brilliant or totally useless, the thing that is guaranteed to get fans on a player's back is if he appears not to be trying. Murray was the master of this. While I think Dobbie, on the evidence so far, is about 5% of the player Glenn is, he does look like another one who seems to be taking it easy at all times. Even if he's not.

Perhaps, but it was you who said 'Did you go yesterday' though.

Fans are a bit dim though, they would rather have a team of Alex Revell's than the likes of Berbatov. There is a SUPERB article in a recent Red Issue about Berbatov BTW, and United fans reaction to him is similar to that of many of ours towards Murray. 'Lazy, Disinterested' etc. I was fortunate to see Berbatov play a couple of times and he was an artist amongst artisans (except for Paul Scholes, who I rate just as highly).

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Some of his touches yesterday were v good(the lay off to Lopez in the 2nd half was excellent) He has a good footballing brain, not a lot of pace, and he won't be a workhorse. However, When CMS is back he will seriously push Barnes for his spot...he could certainly lay a few on to CMS.
Reminds me quite a bit of Johnny Byrne.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
It looks like Gus can't decide if he wants to do a true false 9 or a full on Drogba forward. Every time we've tried a false 9 it's failed, Vicente vanished against reading. we need a target man who knows how to play it. Macca knows, obviously. Barnes knows, did it against Chelsea fairly well.
It would be nice if someone else did, maybe they do?

But they need someone to pass to when their back is to goal, Dobbie is that man as long as his defensive duties don't pull him out of position.

Last edited:

seakin

Oct 1, 2012
Some of his touches yesterday were v good(the lay off to Lopez in the 2nd half was excellent) He has a good footballing brain, not a lot of pace, and he won't be a workhorse. However, When CMS is back he will seriously push Barnes for his spot...he could certainly lay a few on to CMS.
Reminds me quite a bit of Johnny Byrne.

Dobbie is a class player when played in his attacking midfield role, he attacks and brings other players into the game. It's too easy to criticise, from the terraces, he also draws defenders out of their zones for others to attack. Dobbie has a football brain and will bring an exciting style of play.If we analysed every player, there would be pros and cons...that's why its the mangers job to coach and mould the individuals into a team.
Let's give all the players the support they deserve

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I noticed alot of critiscm being thrown towards our new signing Dobbie. He is not a centre forward but more of an attacking midfielder/ link man... He needs time to settle in this bloke is a class act and will be very useful to us this season

Correct.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wasn't trying to turn it into a 'only have an opinion if you went to the game' discussion, but I found it hard to understand how such a post could be "the most ignorant post on here for some time". I'd actually say it sums up the problem with him quite well. Whether you think he's brilliant or totally useless, the thing that is guaranteed to get fans on a player's back is if he appears not to be trying. Murray was the master of this. While I think Dobbie, on the evidence so far, is about 5% of the player Glenn is, he does look like another one who seems to be taking it easy at all times. Even if he's not.

Agreed, but only an idiot judges a player on whether "he looks like he's trying". Dobbie's clearly a class act.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here