Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dobbie the target...

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I noticed alot of critiscm being thrown towards our new signing Dobbie. He is not a centre forward but more of an attacking midfielder/ link man... He needs time to settle in this bloke is a class act and will be very useful to us this season

He is too lightweight, and spineless. He refuses to challenge anybody for a 50-50 ball, and just lets the defender have it. He had a great chance, and simply watched their keeper collect the ball instead of attacking it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He is too lightweight, and spineless. He refuses to challenge anybody for a 50-50 ball, and just lets the defender have it. He had a great chance, and simply watched their keeper collect the ball instead of attacking it.

If he had kicked the ball when the keeper collected it, he would have badly injured him. He didn't 'let' him collect it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
This has never been more correct.

The man is a class player. Just think of the abuse CMS got last year but now he can do no wrong. It takes time to settle in. Dobbie is class and when CMS comes back I think we will see the best of him as he will be the link up player.
Now here is a man who talks sense,.....

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Complete load of old gonads,....... please try and pay attention at games,.... I bet you were one of those who said we should get rid of CMS, citing Barnes as the future of the club,... in fact I bet you think Dicker is better than Crofts too dont you?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
For the first 20 minutes of the second half we were well on top and Dobbie was superb. Why? Because he was in the hole, with Barnes up front and everything was coming through him. His touch and vision were first class. Then Orlandi went off, Barnes went wide and Dobbie was pushed up as the lone striker. Surprise, surprise he was pretty ineffective. We saw his true position and potential for probably the first time at Derby, although briefly, but playing behind a fully fit CMS looks mouthwatering.

Lopez, however...

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Give him time for FFS

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Anyone who can't see he is a good pl;ayer clearly wasn't at the Birmingham game.

some of his close control and mazy runs were brilliant. Definitely needs to be the 'number 10' rather than the centre forward. You can just imagine him rounding a player and dinking it through to cms.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
FFS the guy a link up player who will score goals given time to settle and learn how we play. Has and will score as this level given time. Seem to rem CMS was the wankers target 12 months ago . Go do/figure the doubters...

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
People saying he's rubbish should really give the guy a break.
He's admitted he found it difficult to settle in at first and then he's asked to play as a lone striker, which he isn't.

I've never been able to understand why there's always a small section of "fans" who will always slag players off and seem to find it necessary to pick out one player to target all their abuse at. That is, until someone else comes along for them to have a go at.

Dobbie has been rated by other clubs he's played for and Balckpool fans were well pissed-off when he signed us, so he can't be all that bad.

When CMS is fit again I believe we'll see the best of Dobbie.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The trouble is the opposition (especially Ipswich) have this irritating habit of covering space so Dobbie's lay offs were not coming off. This meant that balls to Lualua were to his feet and it got stuck under them and lost a yard on the full back. Buzzing around the edge of the penalty area and Dobbie is in his best position. He is one attempt at a header was not a striker's header and he has not got the speed to go past a man, certainly not two or three in a packed defence. Actually, his potential I was not overly impressed with because of his lack of speed. I want to see Vicente back in his position.

We need to see him with Macca to really tell though. There would be still room for Vicente as well instead of Orlandi.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Any striker who comes in to replace CMS is going to look like they're not working hard enough because we're all so used to Mackail-Smith. CMS is the exception to the rule, his work rate is incredible.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just seen Dobbie on the Derby highlights. Much the same as against Ipswich but a bit better. And he wasn't bad against Ipswich. I am still not convinced really. Reminds me of myself playing football. I needed the trickery and deception to make up for lack of pace. I was adept at wrong footing a defender giving me an advantage of about a second, but the play required two things, the pass had to be on, and this meant the player on the same side had to run into a free position quickly before I got closed down. If I wanted to run at a player I would tend to drift wide (to get away from intercepting defenders).

Not much good as a target man, Could handle one defender, but not two. That's me. And I could not collect a long ball because the defender would be in a position to intercept. If he can find the space (doubtful) he could be dangerous.

I think we need the work rate of Macca.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here