Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you tip at Christmas?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I think they do generally not just at Christmas as the people who get most tips like Waiters, Hairdressers etc are some of the lowest paid. Why if a hairdresser or taxi driver is self employed so thus getting the money that you pay them, should you feel the need to give them a tip.

What an incoherent argument - binmen & postmen are NOT self employed, they are also (in my part of Rural Sussex anyway) a bunch of blokes who turn upon time, do their job without f***ing up and (in the case of our Postie) are a method of checking up on our aging and infirm neighbours.

Still if you want to be a tightwad then go ahead, no doubt you will get the service you deserve....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
When I lived in Brighton I never once saw my postman. Do you even get just one guy/girl doing the same street day in day out?

And as for the dustmen, they didn't actually collect the rubbish from outside my house, I had to take it down the road to the big wheelie bins. So no, they never got anything because I did more work than them, simply pressing a button on their big truck to lift up said wheelie bin.

Ha ha-so true,back in the day when men were men,the dusties slung f8kin heavey bins,big metal ones over their shoulders and walked up grass banks etc-now? well it's 1000 less car parking spaces per city.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i tip a percentage of the tips and christmad bonus i recieve.

(fancy way of saying "no i dont").

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What an incoherent argument - binmen & postmen are NOT self employed, they are also (in my part of Rural Sussex anyway) a bunch of blokes who turn upon time, do their job without f***ing up and (in the case of our Postie) are a method of checking up on our aging and infirm neighbours.

Still if you want to be a tightwad then go ahead, no doubt you will get the service you deserve....

Do the bin men not get paid for emptying the bins, incidentally I live in a flat so dont have small bins but communial skip type bins. Do the postmen not get paid to deliver letters, which they do so why should they get extra. We dont have the same postman every day.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I tip the paperboy, postman and binmen partly because I appreciate some of the weather they have to contend with in the winter. At the end if the day it dosent cost much to say thank you.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sorry but what a load of bollocks - I tip people because I want to show the people that I personally know (i.e. they empty MY bins or deliver MY post) that I appreciate their work.

Do you really think their employers take into account Christmas tips when calculating their wages?

This is what it's all about-my father lives in a flat & gets his medication sent to him by a delivery driver-i am sure dad would be thankful
and may well tip.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
As a paperboy its refreshing to see that people on here will be tipping us ! Personally I shall be sending out my customary 100 Xmas cards to my clients this year as an act of good will (and to get more tips)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As a paperboy its refreshing to see that people on here will be tipping us ! Personally I shall be sending out my customary 100 Xmas cards to my clients this year as an act of good will (and to get more tips)

I got a tip for you,get a trolly...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Paperboy yes. Everyone else, f*** em!!!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I've bloody got a trolley.

Roller skates & if you tell me you have them,i will suggest a dog to pull you along.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Roller skates & if you tell me you have them,i will suggest a dog to pull you along.

The roller skates, the dog, the lot. I've even got the skiies at the ready in case it snows. Yeah, I'm dedicated.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In fact scrap that idea and train the dog to do the deliveries-

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The roller skates, the dog, the lot. I've even got the skiies at the ready in case it snows. Yeah, I'm dedicated.

I was once-delivered the Leader,bloomin hard work,i would tip the paper boy......most paper boys and girls do good work.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I was once-delivered the Leader,bloomin hard work,i would tip the paper boy......most paper boys and girls do good work.

Yep I do the Leader. Because it's free and to be honest it's a shit paper people generally dont tip that much but giving cards seems to do the trick.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Cynicism alive and well, give out a card in the hope for a tip. Well played, Bean.

I remember being a paperboy, I was damn good aswell. One of the all time greats, probably. I got £100 one year, amazing effort that was. I got a £20 from the old dear whose paper I walked up to her top floor flat every day, good times. Ah, the memories. I'll never forget the morning of September 12 2001. I did my usual of getting the first Sun out and reading it on the walk to my first door and the pictures... Christ. What a moment in time.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Cynicism alive and well, give out a card in the hope for a tip. Well played, Bean.

I remember being a paperboy, I was damn good aswell. One of the all time greats, probably. I got £100 one year, amazing effort that was. I got a £20 from the old dear whose paper I walked up to her top floor flat every day, good times. Ah, the memories. I'll never forget the morning of September 12 2001. I did my usual of getting the first Sun out and reading it on the walk to my first door and the pictures... Christ. What a moment in time.

You try and deliver a free paper every week!!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The postman, probably will tip him if I see him as he's always chatty. I also appreciate posties as I am in the same union and 20+ years ago I got a blow job off a (female) postie.
Don't have a paperboy or milkman.
The dustmen can go whistle out of their arses as far as I am concerned; it's rare that I don't have to go looking for the bin - how hard can it be to put it back outside the same house the took it from. That and the fact that even if there is somewhere to pull in, they don't and look at the string of cars behind thier shit wagon with the utter distain that I thought only a Frenchman could muster.
I will bung the window cleaner too if I see him, but at 18 quid a pop to clean the windows maybe he should be tipping me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are some right tightwads here.

I tip the paperboy, postie and milkman. I give an especially big tip to the binmen because they're very good at taking loads of additional rubbish that they shouldn't be taking. That saves me a fortune on trips to the tip so it's well worth it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here