Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Lewes or Falmer will appeal?

Will any one appeal?

• Total voters

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So, in response to Lord B's explanation of costs being paid up front, and using Buzzers's assumption that LDC wont appeal but FPC might, what is the likelihood that FPC will have the necessary funds?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So, in response to Lord B's explanation of costs being paid up front, and using Buzzers's assumption that LDC wont appeal but FPC might, what is the likelihood that FPC will have the necessary funds?

I remember reading somewhere that Falmer said they had a fighting fund of £10-20k but can't recall where.

I'm guessing though, that they'll wait until Big Brother LDC makes a decision until they decide.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I remember reading somewhere that Falmer said they had a fighting fund of £10-20k but can't recall where.

I'm guessing though, that they'll wait until Big Brother LDC makes a decision until they decide.

Which could explain why LDC have said that they will make their decision within 2 weeks, to give FPC time to consider their options..............

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can't see either appealing. LDC have lost the support of the Tories and the moral support of Norman Baker. I can't see them having the balls to see this through, particularly with the decisions on the National Park boundaries and the Glyndebourne turbine.

FPC might well but there's a considerable cost overhead and I'm not sure they'd like to risk that.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
FPC have proved that they are not interested in the AONB but are simply trying to stop a stadium being built near them. So they will try to appeal even if they have nothing to appeal against just to delay things even further in the hope that the club will die.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Lord B - if FPC can find £50-100K (they've got some quite well-off people in the village) and launch an appeal, would they get their money back if they subsequently withdraw the appeal after, say, 11 months? Or would B&H Council and BHAFC be able to claim costs from the fund with regard to preparing their case?

If no costs can be awarded then it's a 'no lose' situation again for FPC.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Lord B - if FPC can find £50-100K (they've got some quite well-off people in the village) and launch an appeal, would they get their money back if they subsequently withdraw the appeal after, say, 11 months? Or would B&H Council and BHAFC be able to claim costs from the fund with regard to preparing their case?

If no costs can be awarded then it's a 'no lose' situation again for FPC.

If they withdraw, they pay for the court costs upto that point. If they lose, they'll probably have to pay for it all. Can't see them having them stomach if LDC don't.

I'm sure it wouldn't be just the City Council and the Football Club who would claim costs. The government would too.

Remember ... the Appeal is against the government's decision.

A few years back, Solihull Council decided not to appeal against a planning decision made by John Prescott. The reason ... the first stage of the Appeal might cost them over £50,000; if it went to a full hearing, the costs would be substantially higher, if they lost.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I formed the impression listening to DK on Saturday that he either knows or believes that LDC will not appeal. Also if you heard Norman Cook on talksport he did say that if LDC or anybody else decoides to appeal to prolong it and hope that we go broke they were wasting their time because he would not allow that to happen. Having got the Yes it will go ahead and the costs of any delays would be covered by him and others.

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
I they have any reasonable grounds to then it is likely that they will. You can be pretty sure that if they do they will leave it to the last minute before saying so.

That said lets hope there isn't any reason for them to think they can successfully appeal.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Everyone has gone quiet about the South Downs Society - are we now sure that they won't appeal it?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Everyone has gone quiet about the South Downs Society - are we now sure that they won't appeal it?

Were they the ones who said it was virgin downland in the Argus? I think they may be embarrassed by their total ignorance which was shown up in the comments under the article.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Were they the ones who said it was virgin downland in the Argus? I think they may be embarrassed by their total ignorance which was shown up in the comments under the article.

To be completely honest Yorkie, I'm not sure! I do remember them being named as having said they're considering an appeal somewhere, but now nothing.

Hopefully you are right though, and they're now out of the picture.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I also found this

Jacquetta Fewster, the director of the South Downs Society, said: "The decision to build this stadium is completely wrong.

"The countryside in this part of the South-East is so special it has been included within the boundary of the proposed national park, including much of the stadium site.

"The area has been described as the most beautiful of all the English chalk country'.

"This decision opens the way for this beautiful landscape to be destroyed, entombed under breeze block and concrete."

"The South Downs Society will campaign vigorously against any other scheme that would involve the expansion of an urban area like Brighton into this precious landscape."

I note that they will campaign vigorously against any OTHER scheme (which says to me that they aren't going to appeal?)

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Everything seems to say people aren't going to appeal... but I just can't manage to relax about it until the 6 weeks are up. Damn, I hate not knowing! :(

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Everything seems to say people aren't going to appeal... but I just can't manage to relax about it until the 6 weeks are up. Damn, I hate not knowing! :(

One week down, five to go.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I cannot see why Falmer will cost 50 million.Brighton council have given us the land and we have been given 5.3 million by Seda.The Liberty stadium cost around 27 million and to be honest looks better from the outside then Falmer and looks more costly.Also there corners have been filled in.Our capacity is slightly bigger.Is there any other features,facilities etc which is planned for Falmer that the Swans don't have?
The Liberty also has two score boards as well.Our ground is practically costing us double compared to the Taffs ground

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Im in good contact with a key figure on this issue, wo knows a lot about the anti perspective and That person reckons that Lewes wont appeal, But the south downs group might. He isnt convinced that they have the fundings in place though.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think you may be surprised Algie. Certainly labour costs will be much more overall than those employed in Wales. I think it will be more than the predicted figure as steel prices have increased. There is also the site preparation costs and am I right in thinking that Liberty Stadium was, despite some unsuitable ground, was much easier to build on than sloping farmland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here