Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you sing your national anthem ?

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Given Paris doesn't do too badly in the tourism stakes, it's pretty obviously the buildings, not the Queen.

Anyway the point here is that lots of people disagree on the issue of the monarchy, but our anthem is highly political in a way others are not - therefore you can't expect everyone to want to sing it.

It might as well be singing "Vote Conservative" over and over again. We need something powerful and stirring but also politically neutral. I could never never sing the current one, even as someone completely English as far as I know.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
:thud: It's nothing to do with any government. It's down to the United Nations

And we removed a damn sight more weapons from the Muslims than any other faction whilst our tour was out there

really ? didnt the UN STATE that they found no evidence of wepons of mass destruction in Iraq before BUSH instructed us to invade ???

no you didn't, you were fighting on the Muslims side !!! MAN it comes to something when even our own armed forces don't know who they are fighting for

don't get upset though dude, your not the first !!!!

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
really ? didnt the UN STATE that they found no evidence of wepons of mass destruction in Iraq before BUSH instructed us to invade ???

no you didn't, you were fighting on the Muslims side !!! MAN it comes to something when even our own armed forces don't know who they are fighting for

Were you out there? Don't tell me who i was fighting for.

And that is why i object to the Iraq war as it is a sham there are NO WMD'S we know that pull our boys out and make better use of them than being in Iraq and Afghanistan

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Were you out there? Don't tell me who i was fighting for.

And that is why i object to the Iraq war as it is a sham there are NO WMD'S we know that pull our boys out and make better use of them than being in Iraq and Afghanistan

no dude, I wasn't out there but I know what you were doing there !!!

BUT you said ""It's nothing to do with any government. It's down to the United Nations"" sound like you don't know what you believe !!!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Obviously England hasn't got a national Anthem, but everybody knows that.

Yes yes, quite correct old chap, God Save Our Queen isn't actually the English national anthem, it's the U.K's or should I say G.B's ?...........:bla::bla::bla:.......didn't really want to go too far down that road or else that tosser Herman might have gone on one ;)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I sing it but not because I fundamentally agree with the words. I also sing 'The Drugs Dont Work' but I know full well they do!

I would like to have Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem (would that make us the only country to sing a national anthem about a city in another country?). But if all else fails we can change it to Vindaloo.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
God Save the Queen; the words have nothing to do with what I love about the country and I could possibly forgive that if it had a decent tune...but what a dirge.

Now look at 'Jerusalem' a stirring song about building a land in which all can be free, ...that I would sing with gusto.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
I sing it, but would rather we had something a bit more uplifting. 'Land of Hope and Glory' would be my choice. That is not to say I am a republican.

Couldn't agree more. Our national anthem must be one of the worst there is. I find it embarrassing and a dirge.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The fact they bring about 40 times that into the economy from tourists who come to the country ??

ALL the royal family pay tax now as well
i really dont agree steward , i was in the grenadier guards and spent time on public duties at all the royal palaces , the tourists came whether the queen was in residence or not, and so they bloody well should pay taxes as well !

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
that bit about anyone who lives in 'our' country should love 'our' queen is absolute bollocks.

am not english, just living here temporarily and have never felt the need to sing 'your' anthem, nor profess my love for your queen and this 'great' nation. i know the chorus bit is god save our gracious queen but that is probably the only line i know. am very much a republican though.

i know both 'our' anthems by heart, one is a little love ditty that is not especially rousing and the other is marginally more rousing.

i wonder about the footballers though - i mean i couldn't care less if they sing their anthem or not, english or otherwise. i just wonder why they don't. not knowing the words, not 'believing' in it all, just can't be arsed, daydreaming about post match food. i wonder how many people know it from start to finish. where is it taught? do they learn it in schools? (not in my kids) in egypt it was the first and last thing we did in school every day.
fair enough if your not british then why should you sing our anthem , but if you feel so badly about our country that you feel the need to put "great" like that then f*** OFF OUT OF OUR " GREAT" NATION BACK TO EGYPT

the tourists came whether the queen was in residence or not, and so they bloody well should pay taxes as well !

Always makes me laugh when royalists defend the parasites by trying to tell us that tourists visit the UK because of the Queen.

Go to Bangkok and, like every tourist, you'll probably end up at The Grand Palace. The King hasn't stayed there for decades but the tourists still flock there because of the Palace-not because they hope for a glimpse of the King. It's a tourist attraction.

Just like Windsor Castle, Buck House and Tower Bridge are tourist attractions in this country. We don't need the Queen to continue with the Changing of the Guard (another tourist attraction)-it can go on without her or any of her dysfunctional family.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

you 100% absofuckinglutely dont know waht you are talking about !

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
In Nigeria ( my wife is Nigerian ) the national anthem is taught from the off in school and sung at every school assembly and at every possible opportunity. Certainly rolled out much more than we do in England. This is obviously to try to forge national unity in a nation still absorbed in tribalism to this very day. There's over 300 tribal groups in Nigeria, and Nigeria was of course an enforced European creation ( name allegedly derived from Lord Lugard's wife saying " I can't live in Niger area" ).

I seem to remember an issue being made here once of Gary Neville never singing God Save Our Queen ? Not sure if this is bacuse of his political views or not ?

yep, the national anthem was taught in egypt from the second we started school. I asked my children this morning if they knew the uk national anthem and the oldest knew it was called god saved the queen but nothing else, my daughter had no idea.

bushy i don't want to live in egypt but thanks anyway. i was quoting an earlier post in the thread.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
yep, the national anthem was taught in egypt from the second we started school. I asked my children this morning if they knew the uk national anthem and the oldest knew it was called god saved the queen but nothing else, my daughter had no idea.

bushy i don't want to live in egypt but thanks anyway. i was quoting an earlier post in the thread.
i know you were quoting from an earlier thread it was the fact that you sarcasticaly put great in inverted commas that annoyed me , and anyway if your not english and only living here temporarily why are you "very much a republican" though? its got f*** all to do with you

Don't sing it and stay resolutely in my seat with my mouth firmly shut when ever it is played. Feckin dirge. It makes me cringe wth embarressment

Well, would you sing a song that praised your boss?

I commend yopu to the new republic of Nepal which ahs just thrown out its monarchy in favor of some demoratically elected former terrorists?!!!!!

Bit like us voting out lizzy and replacing her with Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams.............

The queen and prince charly EARN per year over 20 MILLION in land fess alone per year

personally that would do me fine !!!

They are paid over £20million a year in land fees bu other peoplke for doing feck all themselves..

A slight difference from "earning" -

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here