Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you sing Sussex By The Sea as the team comes out?

Do you sing Sussex by the Sea?

• Yes of course!

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I would if I knew the words

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Don't be silly!

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
I seem to be the only one belting this out in my area of East Stand Upper as the team comes out, so thought I'd do a quick poll to see how alone I am! :wink:

:amex:

I belt it out too, North end of upper East. We're all clapping along but somehow the crowd over takes me and gets ahead, even tho we're all clapping, so it never ends well, very annoying

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That is not true. The clapping, ner nerring, and singing for the Boro game was the best so far. It is DEFINITELY catching on.

Well that's positive. Unfortunately I wasn't at the Middlesbrough game due to circumstances beyond my control ( :down: -ish), but there's a guy behind me who happily belts it out with me before every half of football kicks off. Including against Birmingham, when they never played it before the second half but I started "singing" it anyway and he happily joined in. There just aren't enough of us in the East Lower.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe I know a different version, in the one I know it's "And useful men are we."

And when you go to Sussex...

You're right, I seemed to have it in my head that we were 'faithful' rather than useful. I will try to remember that next time.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I'm pretty sure the version played is in C... I know the top of my comfortable range (as a bass) is the E above middle C. Eb would be ridiculously low... as it would require notes well below comfortable range for all but the lowest voices... my recommended key would be Ab.
No. It's definitely in B flat. I have the recordings by the Horsham Borough Band and the Coldstream Guards, and both are most definitely in B flat.

To be fair, most of the would-be singers at the Amex do not possess bass voices, so your own – however magnificent – is somewhat unusual. In arriving at the conclusion that E major would be the easiest for the crowd to sing, I estimated the highest note the song requires (oh we're GO-ing up) and worked downwards from there. Most adult male voices can reasonably comfortably manage the A flat above middle C – and, working down from that sets the manageable key as E Major.

[ I realise this is very dull stuff to most readers. Please PM me if you want to take this off-line! ]

Always done it and usually no one around me wherever i've sat has, but was using a fellow NSC'ers st at the back of C block in the North stand on Saturday, and the group of guys there (the chap who gets "go left, go left" going is part of them) all sang it as well, which was a first for me. Also tried getting it going during parts of the game before breaking into the chorus which descended into it's usual 100 mph nonsense

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Very few men can reach the Ab ABOVE middle C, let alone comfortably! You must mean below, surely??

The melody finishes on the tonic... there is no way the average punter, either male or female can sing a bottom E comfortably... Ab is pushing it... which makes the top note a middle C, which most can manage... and loudly too!

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I belt it out too, North end of upper East. We're all clapping along but somehow the crowd over takes me and gets ahead, even tho we're all clapping, so it never ends well, very annoying

I'm near the centre which is probably why I haven't heard you! I try to get the clapping around me slower by singing louder but I fear its a losing battle...

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
I'm near the centre which is probably why I haven't heard you! I try to get the clapping around me slower by singing louder but I fear its a losing battle...

Weird isn't it, the clapping is right in time with the tune but the singing just speeds up, perseverance and hope will have to suffice, it's paid off so far ...

Even though i did shout at Barnes to get off the field after he gave it away for the umpteenth time, this was after we'd used all 3 subs ... i may need to calm down a bit :)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Good old Sausage by the Sea...

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
me and [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] sing it to each other albeit 30 feet apart, at the right speed, in the north stand

northstanddave.jpg

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Keep with it. We will succeed in the end. I know I am not a lone voice in N1A.

Oh I will! Now we just need to decide on the version - 'stand or fall' or 'win the cup'! Maybe another poll is in order... ;)

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Keep with it. We will succeed in the end. I know I am not a lone voice in N1A.

Oh I will! Now we just need to decide on the version - 'stand or fall' or 'win the cup'! Maybe another poll is in order... ;)

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
We do at the back of WSU G, half a dozen of us. It's definitely catching on. The only thing I think is a shame is that 'stand or fall' isn't mentioned in the first verse and yet it's our biggest banner. Would it be sacrilege to suggest singing half the first verse and then half the second?

Now is the time for marching
So let your hearts be gay
March to the merry bugle
Sounding along our way
And when you go from Sussex
Whoever you may be
You can tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea

?????????

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
We do at the back of WSU G, half a dozen of us. It's definitely catching on. The only thing I think is a shame is that 'stand or fall' isn't mentioned in the first verse and yet it's our biggest banner. Would it be sacrilege to suggest singing half the first verse and then half the second?

Now is the time for marching
So let your hearts be gay
March to the merry bugle
Sounding along our way
And when you go from Sussex
Whoever you may be
You can tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea

?????????

Probably, but I like it! Couple that with the chorus as :

Good old Sussex by the sea, Good old Sussex by the sea
And we're going up to win the cup
For Sussex by the sea.

And would that be acceptable to everyone (so at least we're all on the same songsheet as it were)???

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I've given up as the clapping goes fuckin crazy fast and well out of time with the PA. Still cannot understand why people can't clap in time, weirdness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here