Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you sing Sussex By The Sea as the team comes out?

Do you sing Sussex by the Sea?

• Yes of course!

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I would if I knew the words

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Don't be silly!

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
word for word, along with my 6 YEAR old daughter who knows EVERY one of the REAL words - oh shit im turning into ERNEST

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Interesting so many people have said yes , i cant say ive ever heard it sang properly by the crowd in 40 odd years which is why it baffles me as to why we still use it as the club anthem , keep it , drop it im not bothered but i would prefer something that appeals to a wider audience and perhaps easier to actually sing at the right speed and tone , after 2 verses even the clapping becomes disjointed and peters out quickly .

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yeah there was quite a few of singing the correct words at the back of N1c

Too right there were - we'll keep going at it until more do than don't. May take a few years, mind ...

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
I always want to sing that, but as soon as I hear "Oh we're going up..." I make sure I shout out the "AND WE'LL win the Cup" to drown out any dullard singing "To win the Cup".

So if any of you find yourself in the vicinity of an overweight, balding old man dementedly shouting "And we'll win the Cup! It's bloody And we'll win the Cup you pig-ignorant morons!" ..... come up and say hello!

Can I suggest you look at the banner in the North Stand for the correct words. Stand or Fall!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I've noticed the club now only play 1 verse when the teams come out - surely it's not that difficult to learn the words to 1 verse? 2 verses would sound great if sung properly but clearly that would be hoping for too much. The words have appeared on NSC often enough. All this shite about it being in the wrong key - it's a football crowd at the Amex not some choir at the Albert Hall.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
The reason why most people can't sing it is that the playout recording is simply pitched too high for adult male voices. The club have been approached to transpose the recording – a simple job using readily available software – into an entirely manageable lower key (for any musicians, that's from the original B flat down to E major). But nothing's happened so far.

Meanwhile, maybe people could at least do something about the way SBTS gets sung in the stands? People start off in a ridiculously high key, then find themselves having to do no fewer than TWO key changes, before singing the only lines most people know. "Oh we're going up, TO-OO win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea. All together now… Good old Sussex by the Sea, Good old Sussex by the Sea... etc"

Meanwhile, by far the biggest banner in the ground reads: "Stand or Fall". Words from our much loved club anthem that are never, ever heard. At all.

For any club's fans to claim it has a wonderfully unique anthem, but then be totally unable to sing it, invites ridicule. Surely we can all do better than this?

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm pretty sure the version played is in C... I know the top of my comfortable range (as a bass) is the E above middle C.

Eb would be ridiculously low... as it would require notes well below comfortable range for all but the lowest voices... my recommended key would be Ab.

And the version played does not allow you to sing 'Stand or fall' as it does not include the the 2nd stanza (for we're the men from Sussex etc...).

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I always want to sing that, but as soon as I hear "Oh we're going up..." I make sure I shout out the "AND WE'LL win the Cup" to drown out any dullard singing "To win the Cup".

So if any of you find yourself in the vicinity of an overweight, balding old man dementedly shouting "And we'll win the Cup! It's bloody And we'll win the Cup you pig-ignorant morons!" ..... come up and say hello!

A man after my own heart.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Amazing how this is such an issue for people on here, but it never translates into anything happening at the games.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Used to but everyone is so out of time it's pointless. Now I just join in with the chorus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here