Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you remember your last day at school...?

AgerBomb22

Jun 2, 2011
Chi Town/Burgess Hill
2008 Chailey School. standard leavers assembley and BBQ in the afternoon. there used to be a tradition called "Muck up day" where the year 11s could go around the school pranking everyone and throwing around flour and eggs. this was stopped by a new headteacher who thretend the leavers prom should any of this stuff continue. a few people ignored her in my year as a few classes were flour bombed.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Last day of school was in 2002, worst years of my life. Would never want to go back. now the ages of 18-25 now thats what i'm talking about.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Left school in 1998 (Hayesbrook in Tonbridge). Hated every second of the 5 years I was there. Just walked away after the last exam. Never been back.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Ended up with a drink in The Stag, and then another in (the Regency?) bar at Btn Station - trouble was that I was still 17, but no-one asked for any proof of age back in those days. Don't even think I had to pay in The Stag as one of the teachers might have had a bar tab organised. My only regret is that I didn't stay in the Stag a bit longer - I understand it turned into a bit of a session, but no-one really wants to be the last guest at the party who refuses to clear-off after everyone else has gone home, nor did I have enough money on me to go standing rounds of drinks.

There was a leavers ball apparantly, but I didn't go. Had an end of term Assembly and Chapel in the school, but now they hire out the Dome for a full-on graduation ceremony ( which is a bit silly IMHO as they don't have the exam results !)

Now the Stag is boarded up, and the Regency is now part of M & S's 'Simply Food' - no chance of a pint in either..........

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Pissed by the time we got there, more pissed as the day went on (for some reason neat Bacardi was my weapon of choice), threw up in Maths (Mr Crompton). Everyone covered in eggs.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Brighton, Hove & Sussex Grammar 1976 (the year below us was the first mixed 6th form college year). No idea what happened before about 11am but then we went to the pub till 2 , walked back up to the school to take pics climbing all over the main (ceremonial) gates and got chased away by one of the teachers. Went home and continued life. I reckon Proms appeared in the late 80's or 90's to ape the appalling Yank tradition.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Left Deepedene in 1983 after being there 16 years. Remember the last day at school and feeling really sad that I wouldn't be with my mates every day but was starting a job the next week and excited about the future.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
tideway,newhaven 1981

"ginger" williams waiting at the gates for anybody who wanted some

respect :bowdown:

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I left King's manor in June 1978, i finished my last exam, and strolled out the gate without saying anything to my teachers or classmates. I couldn't wait to get out of there tbh.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
When the last of my group of friends finished their final exam we all went down the pub, don't think there was a prom or any of that americanised horseshi but couple of the best years of my life and made lifelong friends from theret. That was Reigate 6th form. The school I was at before, a boarding school, I finished my last exam, said goodbye to no-one, pupils or teachers, got on a train and f***ed off, never set foot in the grothole again

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
East Grinstead Grammar School 1964 - last day of school.

There was a history of pranks, but we decided to out-prank the previous pranksters.

"Prefects" were given the school keys in the mornings to unlock the doors. We made indentations of the keys in bars of soap (yes, we really did!) and a boy who worked in an ironmongers (yes, they still called them that) on Saturday mornings cut some new keys.

We acquired a scrap three wheel car and the night before the last day of term we used the keys to unlock the school (no alarms in those days) and manhandle (or should that be boyhandle?) the car through the corridors and onto the stage in the assembly hall.

Next morning the car was "discovered", no one admitted to doing the dastardly deed, end of term assembly was cancelled.

Mistake

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Mine was a bit of a dissapointment.
Went to the local, The Swan and would have had a half or too before making my way back and finding everybody else had gone home so no big saying 'goodbye' which was a shame as I loved school and many of those peeps I've never seen again.

Looking back though, it was quite a walk though an area of outstanding natual beauty and just a very few uni buildings then school pitches. not like today, totally ruined urban sprawl!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Mine was a bit of a dissapointment.
Went to the local, The Swan and would have had a half or too before making my way back and finding everybody else had gone home so no big saying 'goodbye' which was a shame as I loved school and many of those peeps I've never seen again.

Looking back though, it was quite a walk though an area of outstanding natual beauty and just a very few uni buildings then school pitches. not like today, totally ruined urban sprawl!

That genuinely made me feel quite sad.

Frankly no, not because of any riotous alcohol induced memory loss but because, after "A" levels we just all sort of drifted off and awaited the start of University or walked into jobs. I had been offered mine in the previous September regardless of exam results, how very different times were in '77. Tunbridge Wells Tech (now the Boys Grammar, ooh get them)was the school in case anyone cares.

We didn't (for better or worse) go into big dramatic gestures for such things. We are approaching the time of my annual rant at the TV when the exam result circus hits town - usually something along the lines of "...We didn't get on TV all made up in posh frocks so we could go on breakfast time getting all girly and dramatic because our grades meant we had to go to a different Uni. from Fleur or Jocasta to study drama, signing and general fannying around or some other useless degree. We just got a postcard with the results and got on with our lives". And relax.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
East Grinstead Grammar School 1964 - last day of school.

There was a history of pranks, but we decided to out-prank the previous pranksters.

"Prefects" were given the school keys in the mornings to unlock the doors. We made indentations of the keys in bars of soap (yes, we really did!) and a boy who worked in an ironmongers (yes, they still called them that) on Saturday mornings cut some new keys.

We acquired a scrap three wheel car and the night before the last day of term we used the keys to unlock the school (no alarms in those days) and manhandle (or should that be boyhandle?) the car through the corridors and onto the stage in the assembly hall.

Next morning the car was "discovered", no one admitted to doing the dastardly deed, end of term assembly was cancelled.

Is that the one that's now the Wallis youth centre, behind the Chequer Mead Theatre, or what's now Imberhorne Middle School (I'm sure that one used to be in Surrey)?

All I can remember of my last day at Ardingly is drinking wine in the Headmaster's garden; no I didn't have THAT much. Funny though, they used to lecture you about the harm of excessive drinking, but then at any event, out came the booze - Mum got mad at my Housemaster, who used to lay it on thick and then was, shall we say, extremely generous when he invited us for lunch at his house. I have to say I've never been back to an Old Ardinians' day or been to the dinners (Dad by contrast goes to everything he can at Dulwich); been back to a couple of Advent Carol services. I used to moan like fun about the place, but I know my parents had to work hard to send me there. No proms or such like when I was there.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Looking back a lot of my early life was ruled by those people who I went to school with who I *thought* I needed to be friends with. Two people in particular who I just so wanted to be a part of their "in crowd" who spoiled my last day at school by not involving me in the festivites, and refusing to sign my year book or my school shirt. I should have known better really as one of them nearly killed me by clipping my rear bike wheel on the way home from school one previous afternoon sending me into the path of a cement truck which luckily stopped. The other who set me up as her "fall-guy" for an incident at a local disco that has upset me ever since.

I look back on it (especially the last day) and wish I had the confidence back then to realize that I was pretty cool on my own and I didn't need them. I wasted so many years trying to be liked by the "in crowd" and wasted so many young years feeling left out rather than enjoying myself.

The one who tripped me up ended up in trouble with the law (drugs and alcohol got to her, and she lost her children) and the other one has 7 children and is about 20 stone and living in near poverty.

I'd be lying if I said that their plight didn't make me feel slightly better, but what I regret most about my last day is that I didn't enjoy it at all for what turns out in the end to be no good reason at all.

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Walked out the door on the last afternoon and glad that shit was over, no ceremony, definately no proms or shit like that.

Same as that. 1985. Hated school more than I hate Palarse!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Didn't look back - never went back - don't intend to ever go back...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here