Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you remember your last day at school...?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I reckon Proms appeared in the late 80's or 90's to ape the appalling Yank tradition.
You mean, as seen in the movie Carrie? Wonderful stuff, buckets of pigs blood being emptied over the youthful dancers, while a telekinetic girl executes the school bullies just by by looking at them, before arranging for the entire school to spontaneously explode.

Now that would be something worth reminiscing about on NSC.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My last day was really low-key. We turned up said good-bye to lots of people and walked out. The only tradition was tying our school ties to the tree outside the school - the branches were already festooned with the rotting corpses of previous years' neckgear. I don't think we even went down the pub.

I remember being really excited about being able to sign on the dole, I've an idea that I went straight into town to do it. I was looking forward to a summer of lounging about, watching cricket, playing tennis etc and getting paid for it - those were the days.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stole the key to our bastard of a form teachers small office at the back of the hutted classroom where we were and then slid burning sheets of paper under the door and heard him jumping up and down on them to put them out for about 15 minutes screaming the vilest abuse at us because he knew full well the place was a tinderbox.
Yes we could have burnt him alive but don't have any sympathy for him - he was a psychotic, sadistic c unt who broke one boys arm and knocked the shit out of nearly all of us lads.

PS I went to the same school as Nicholas Hoogstraten and maybe there was a link.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Knoll Boys 1976, no drama, no school left either a couple of years later. Probably went back from the pub said a few cheerios and that was that, returned to pub and finished pint. After all, this is what we did most days when the Maytree Pub was not a block of flats. or if we fancied a walk to the Victoria at portslade station. Happy days!

Nov 20, 2003
hove
yes took a box of eggs and pelted them at a sadistic nonces house who used to teach us RE .His house was just round the corner ..I really enjoyed it

D

Deleted User X18H

My work colleague opposite me has a lad a Shoreham Academy (King's Manor to you and me), and she was talking about him getting nervous of going to his High School Prom.

I know High School Proms are not totally new (my step-daughter had her about nine years ago) - but where the hell did they spring up from? My last day at school in 1986 was a scorching hot day, having just finished an exam I couldn't be bothered with, and the school being quiet as a mouse in slippers.

Has the 'last day at school' experience changed that much - or do we all want to live our lives like a bit part in 'Grease'?

:shrug:

Your step daughter had who nine years ago?

D

Deleted User X18H

My last day at school. June 1987. Don't remember a thing about it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here