Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have a fear of flying?

Do you have a fear of flying?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've flown loads of times but each flight is a white knuckle ride on take off or in turbulence. Landing and non turbulent flight is just about ok. Having had one aborted take off and being hit by lightning in flight has not helped.

Does it bother YOU?

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Doesn't bother me at all. Which is strange as I don't particularly like heights and won't go on a hot air balloon.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I was coming back from Hong Kong last week, had fallen asleep and started dreaming the f***ing thing was turning upside down plummeting to earth. Woke up shitting myself and took a couple of seconds to realise I wasn't doomed. Funnily enough it does not usually bother me though. I find drinking heavily helps. Or doesn't as the case may be.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Used to love flying as a wee nipper - not a huge fan now to be honest and always happy to be touching down at the other end. By which time I've generally necked well into double figures of those little bottles of red. Just for my nerves you understand.

f***ing HATE it. Always try to make sure I've necked enough Diazepam to ensure I'm passed out before the seatbelt signs are off. If they don't work, alcohol usually finishes the job.

Diazepam's great stuff. On a flight back from Italy last year the turbulance must have been really bad, but even then I was roused only briefly to see the stewardess stack over in the aisle before mumbling "oh" and passing out again. :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Doesn't bother me at all. Which is strange as I don't particularly like heights and won't go on a hot air balloon.

With me it's the other way round. I loathe flying and am always in a complete state just before and during take-off. But have no fear of heights and have been up in a balloon and loved it.

The fear of a plane is that feeling of enclosure: I'm not fond of going on the underground in London either and will avoid it if there's an alternative route

BlueWhite

Dec 28, 2003
I used to have a huge fear of flying, which got worse with every passing year. I found alcohol didn't help. Once. my fear of flying nearly stopped me going on a family holiday... so I thought enough is enough, and I did a Virgin Atlantic day course to get over the fear, and by golly it worked. I'd really recommend it. The first trip I did after the course was a work trip, flying on my own: there was an aborted take off at Gatwick and on the way back from Malaga we sat on the runway for an hour while the pilot "tried to work out what that flashing light on the dashboard is"... and I was calm as can be. The course was brilliant value.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I am shit scared of heights, but am fine when plying for some reason. Must have done over 100 by now.

Had a couple of scary moments, but its not put me off. My last flight back from Majorca earlier this year was one of the scariest. It was monsoon like outside, with thunder and lightning rocking the Easyjet flight all over the place.

When I lived in India, had some scary moments, one where the weather was starting to turn, and my seat in the plane was facing the BACK of the plane. Going backwards on a bumpy descent is not recommended.

My favourite was when trying to land in Bangalore, but not being able to land because the tarmac on the runway hadnt dried completely after being relaid, and having to circle for an hour

The only time I have been PROPER scared of flying is the flight that took me to 16,000ft to do a skydive

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I quite like flying of sorts ie visit egypt a bit so 5 hours is cool, like the airports, coupla beers, but do get bored flying to asia for example. It must be shit to be scared of it cos of how safe it is statistically though I can see why

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I dont have a fear of flying, just a fear of crashing.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I dont have a fear of flying, just a fear of crashing.

Indeed. Falling from a great height never hurt anyone. It's hitting the ground that does the damage.

(As the falling guy in La Haine says: "So far so good, so far so good...")

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Indeed. Falling from a great height never hurt anyone. It's hitting the ground that does the damage.

My old boss used to complain I would never fly on company business, so I offered to take him to Scotland on the back of my bike.

His comment "sod off, motorbikes are a death trap." We all have our, sometimes irrational, fears.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My three year old son loves turbulence, he thinks the plane is jumping off a cloud.

I really enjoy the flights, well as much as you can with a 1 year old, 3 year old and a 7 year old to entertain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here