Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we think they're all bombers?

I and a few others got called racists (I'm not a racist) last weekend on the underground. Am I a racist for doing it or did I make the right decision? would you feel uncomfortable being in the same situation as I was last weekend?

Came back from Manchester and got the tube from Euston to London Victoria to catch my connecting train too Brighton.

I sat on the tube train and was reading the Sunday paper when a Muslim sat opposite me, he put his bag in between his legs and just stared ahead, more like into space, I couldn’t concentrate on my paper as I kept looking at him, really felt uneasy. After a bit we made eye contact so when we arrived at the next stop I got off and so did many others, we went into the next carriage. With this, he ranted and raved about us being racists as we didn’t want to sit next to a Muslim and the whole country are racists towards his countrymen/woman.

It wasn’t that we didn’t want to sit next to him, it was his bag, we all had the same idea but didn’t want to say anything otherwise we’d have been arrested for being racists. Am I a racist, over reacting or just being cautious?

What would you do if you was in a familiar situation as me?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
How did you know he was Muslim?

What he said.

Having said that I don't think you are racist, don't wory about it, I think I would have done the same thing. I'm on the tubes several times every week and I am always looking around, and you can't help but come to slighlty irrational conclusions.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Oceanic said:

What would you do if you was in a familiar situation as me?

How 'familiar' exactly - was he trying to give you a hand-job as well? No wonder you wanted to move.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
How did you know he was Muslim?
If you read the whole thing it clearly says that the "Muslim" started ranting and raving about being a "Muslim".

Now it is not rocket science is it people.

In answr to your question Oceanic, I would have done exactly the same as even on busus in Brighton I get nervous about anyone Asian looking that looks shifty or has a backpack. Just life I suppose.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Ernest said:
You should have shot him

I second that.The police would of helped you cover it up as well

Superphil said:
What he said.

Having said that I don't think you are racist, don't wory about it, I think I would have done the same thing. I'm on the tubes several times every week and I am always looking around, and you can't help but come to slighlty irrational conclusions.

That evening I had a few drinks with mates who said Why didn't you start a conversation with him to allay your fears. As you've used the tube system then you'll understand how hard it is.

When I travel around the country on trains to watch Brighton I often get to sit opposite people from all walks of like and different nationalities and have met some really nice people. But when I’ve travelled on the tube I’ve never spoken a word to anyone and I’ve used the underground for 18 years. It’s that using the tube you’re only ever on it for maybe 5 stops at the most. How do you integrate with someone without making yourself look wired or what you'd you think if some bloke started chatting with you? I’d think he’s wired.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Superphil said:
I'm on the tubes several times every week and I am always looking around, and you can't help but come to slighlty irrational conclusions.

Me too, and I agree with you as well. I get ever so slightly nervous each time I see a muslim looking person carrying a rucksack. It is irrational, it's not very nice, but you can't help yourself thinking what if.......

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Oceanic said:
How do you integrate with someone without making yourself look wired or what you'd you think if some bloke started chatting with you? I’d think he’s wired.

There's a pun in there.

To be fair, if he was a bomber and you sat in the next carriage you'd still probably die.

I'm sure the many innocent people that travel on tubes with rucksacks that have the appearance of your typical suicide bomber will understand why everyone else is so uneasy.

I've just bought one of these for my holiday.

32142.jpg

:thumbsup:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I was travelling via tube on the Victoria Line just the other day, but I didn't come across anyone strange, all appeared to be English, and just travelling around London.

I wouldn't say you were at all racist, anyone can have their suspicions, so it's up to them to do what they think is best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here