Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we miss McCammon?

Repugnant Toad said:
linked up well with Knight.

Hmm - 2 goals from Leon in open play all the time Big Chris was here might give us pause for thought on that one.

E

enigma

Father Jack said:
you were backing him yesterday Kev and as for Gregory and Tigana dont make me laugh theyre both useless. I want Mcghee out but have been feeling like this for sometime now. i would like to suggest John Gorman of Wycombe as a potential replacement.

I wouldnt say Tigana was useless- he did very well in France, and did well at Fulham in the start, even if things went downhill.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do we miss McCammon?

Scotty M said:
its just the fact we are conceding a ridiculous amount of goals

Yes, I agree. But I think McGhee knows how to stop us conceding - that's been the secret of his two seasons' success with the Albion.

It's now just all about marrying that with being creative going forward, and I don't believe we are too far away from getting the right balance, providing certain key defensive players like McShane, Chippy and Hinsh are on the picth. All will be back either straight away or soon-ish.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do we miss McCammon?

London Irish said:
Yes, I agree. But I think McGhee knows how to stop us conceding - that's been the secret of his two seasons' success with the Albion.

It's now just all about marrying that with being creative going forward, and I don't believe we are too far away from getting the right balance, providing certain key defensive players like McShane, Chippy and Hinsh are on the picth. All will be back either straight away or soon-ish.

Trouble is Hinshelwood will just be a straight exchange for McShane when he goes back to Manure.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do we miss McCammon?

London Irish said:
Yes, I agree. But I think McGhee knows how to stop us conceding - that's been the secret of his two seasons' success with the Albion

in this division we defended best last season playing 3-5-2. but our best attacking performances are with two out-and-out wingers. frutos and carole cant fit into a 3-5-2, but defensively we should be able to make a 4-4-2 work - the first place mcghee needs to look is the two full backs, as we do seem to be getting torn apart down the flanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do we miss McCammon?

Scotty M said:
in this division we defended best last season playing 3-5-2.

I think that's a myth - I think we played 4-4-2 about half the time, 3-5-2 about a third of the time and other more unsual systems the rest of the time (diamond, 4-3-3, 4-5-1), with 4-4-2 being about as productive as the 3-5-2.

McGhee's flexibility in tactical shape was one of the reasons why we mugged so many teams last season to stay up.

It's quite possible we are being too rigid in playing 4-4-2 (or is 4-2-4 as McGhee sometimes describes it) every game.

Oct 25, 2003
i don't think our attack is our biggest worry at the moment, perhaps we do need a big man alongside knight, who knows?

we need to sort out our shambolic defence first

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
tommy boy said:
i don't think our attack is our biggest worry at the moment, perhaps we do need a big man alongside knight, who knows?

we need to sort out our shambolic defence first

mccammon:)

interesting points there as well - last season most oppositions didnt have a clue what we were playing, and sometimes i dont think our players did either. bizarely, it worked though. this season it is obvious it is a strict 4-4-2, and maybe the fact we like the ability to change that is the reason we are struggling to get results

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
we may have supplies of good crosses, but with Trolley in the middle if he gets his head on any they will just go over the bar, so i doubt he is the answer

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Think some may be surprised at the difference he will make when back fit - Shef Utd away last season a good example of how he can make a surprising difference to a game - just by his physical presence

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
Big Mac is a much more mobile player than Big Chris, how quickly memories fade! (Admittedly Big Chris probably has a better shot on him).
Iwelumo provides more of a goal threat though, and imo uses his physical presence to better effect. If we had signed him on a free instead of Turienzo for 150k we'd have both options, and if we needed it the option of going with two battering rams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here