Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do they actually give a toss?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Firstly - yes, we were beaten by a far superior team. I accept that. And yes, i know I moan a lot.

However, that was absolutely ABYSMAL. No effort, no passion, no hunger, no desire.
Only Butters and Elphick looked interested - the rest ponced about like absolute dicks playing for nothing. The Southend players were shutting us down like lightning, and their movement was first class. We stood still and backed off, chased nothing down, and I bet the majority of players came off without a drop of sweat. No movement whatsoever - no drive. Same on Saturday - pathetic.

A disgusting display - and unless they get SEVERAL kicks up the backside, there's no chance of play-offs next season either. The current lot don't seem to care. I would have thought 1000 Albion fans on a Tuesday night in Essex, making a hell of a noise and a great effort. Amount of effort from the team? Practically bugger all.

:nono:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As usual you appear to be watching a different game to everybody else.

The first half they wore us down in a battle of attrition. Once they scored they poured forward and looked likely to score more. But this was down to our management not doing their homework, IMO. We should have been pushing up as a unit far more than we were and pressuring their centre halves. That didn't happen until after the interval. Second half, we looked the better side but still didn't create many chances.

As for Southend, I thought they looked a good side who may go up - but they are far from unbeatable.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
As usual you appear to be watching a different game to everybody else.

The first half they wore us down in a battle of attrition. Once they scored they poured forward and looked likely to score more. But this was down to our management not doing their homework, IMO. We should have been pushing up as a unit far more than we were and pressuring their centre halves. That didn't happen until after the interval. Second half, we looked the better side but still didn't create many chances.

As for Southend, I thought they looked a good side who may go up - but they are far from unbeatable.

Doesn't sound too different to the game we saw...accept i disagree about 'better side'. They coasted around the park with the game sewn up, not wanting any mistakes on the way to a big 3 points for them. We created nothing but upped our defending - that was the only difference.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Southend were sharper, moved the ball quicker, could pass more accurately..........and they had 4 midfielders to our three.........Oh.......and they definitely seemed to want to win far more than we did as a whole. Thomson..yet again............anonymous.
Thought Butters, Elphick, Cox and Forster worked hard.........but so little support elsewhere.,

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Southend were sharper, moved the ball quicker, could pass more accurately..........and they had 4 midfielders to our three.........Oh.......and they definitely seemed to want to win far more than we did as a whole. Thomson..yet again............anonymous.

Spot on.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't think there was a lack of effort tonight, more a lack of organisation. Barnard always seemed to be in acres of space, as did both wingers. Mayo had a shocker and was run ragged all game, although to be fair he didn't get much protection from Cox who seemed to drift in for most of the first half.
We had a hell of alot of posession but just couldn't do anything with it. Southend hit us well on the break and got forward really quickly and we just couldn't cope with their pace.
The best team won on the night, I wouldn't say it was anywhere near abysmal or discusting. My summary would be: the first 20 minutes were about even, then we were awful for 20 minutes and shipped two goals, then the second half was even with us having most of the posession and them having the better chances

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Doesn't sound too different to the game we saw...accept i disagree about 'better side'. They coasted around the park with the game sewn up, not wanting any mistakes on the way to a big 3 points for them. We created nothing but upped our defending - that was the only difference.
So how do you get from Southend looked the better side overall but Albion possibly shaded the second 45 mins (which is my point of view) to "Do they actually give a toss?"?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
So how do you get from Southend looked the better side overall but Albion possibly shaded the second 45 mins (which is my point of view) to "Do they actually give a toss?"?

"No effort, no passion, no hunger, no desire."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think there was a lack of effort tonight, more a lack of organisation. Barnard always seemed to be in acres of space, as did both wingers. Mayo had a shocker and was run ragged all game, although to be fair he didn't get much protection from Cox who seemed to drift in for most of the first half.
We had a hell of alot of posession but just couldn't do anything with it. Southend hit us well on the break and got forward really quickly and we just couldn't cope with their pace.
The best team won on the night, I wouldn't say it was anywhere near abysmal or discusting. My summary would be: the first 20 minutes were about even, then we were awful for 20 minutes and shipped two goals, then the second half was even with us having most of the posession and them having the better chances

WORD.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that Southend were stronger, faster and more skilful than us.

I think that they could well win the play offs because they are quick, play neat simple football, can score goals and most of all have a very strong sound defence.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I thought that Southend were stronger, faster and more skilful than us.

I think that they could well win the play offs because they are quick, play neat simple football, can score goals and most of all have a very strong sound defence.

Don't disagree with any of that, but am SO disappointed by the fact that Albion have looked so far from 'up for the fight' the last two games. It's almost as if they can't be arsed :nono:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
As I said on the way home, I would have taken 7/8/9th at the start of the season, but to get into the possition we did being a point from the playoffs and now to just give it up like we have done in the last 2 games is what most fans are pissed off about!

We didnt close them down, didnt pass quickly enough, couldnt convert our slim chances and yet AGAIN we couldnt take an attacking set peice if we tried 100 times!!!

Something needs to be done URGENTLY before next season!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Out thought, outmuscled, outplayed but not outsung. Men against boys imo against a much better team.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You must have been one of the negative minges stood behind me for most of the game. According to whoever that was nothing was right or good. Every one of our players got criticised, from start to finish, every song sung by our fans was deemed innapropriate, I expected him to start on the colour of the grass at any moment

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I suspect WW is so perfect he never has a bad day in the office.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hahahahahahahahaha WW? OFFICE?. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here