Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do Something Amazing.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I know this is probably really boring and predictable from me, but tomorrow will be a year since Anastasia died. During her treatment she was on a similar chemo schedule as four other children, all aged four or under. Since Anastasia died three of those children have also died. The fourth is in remission.

Donation really does make a difference between life and death, be it blood, platelets, bone marrow....

I know a lot of you can't donate for various reasons, but if you are fit and able there really is no good reason not to. It takes such a small amount of time and can change peoples lives forever.

National Blood Service - blood, platelets, tissue etc.

Enter your postcode and find your local public donation session.

Anthony Nolan Trust

and make sure your next of kin know your wishes.

Organ Donation

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I can no longer donate blood but I have given over 20 pints in my time including a 'special' just after I caught chickenpox off of my children because it was full of antibodies.

I still carry a donation card.

RIP Anastasia.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I can't, and recently worked out theres only one member of my family that can - various reasons. Have an organ donor card though, although for the same reasons they can't take as much as they normally could.

However, those that can and do, do save lifes - my brother and father both had seperate serious operations in 1990/1991 and required blood.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd love to be able to, but the fact that I've received a lot of blood in transfusions over the course of my lifetime, not to mention the fact that I've been tattooed in the last 6 months, rules me out I'm afraid.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Bloody hell (scuse the pun) with the criteria needed for being a blood donor no wonder there's a shortage. You'd need to be a saint. And one that stays at home at that!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
magoo said:
Bloody hell (scuse the pun) with the criteria needed for being a blood donor no wonder there's a shortage. You'd need to be a saint. And one that stays at home at that!

Criteria are worse in Ireland (can't have lived in the UK during BSE, can't have had sex with another man, can't have had sex with a hooker, etc).

I, however, would be clear to donate if I hadn't been born with jaundice.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Not being in the UK I cannot help any children in the UK but I am committed to giving blood out here... children are still children wherever they come from.

Thoughts are with you over the next 24 hours Starry.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have given 200+ pints of platelets, as I am directly linked to a sufferer from thalesima, who needs regular transfusions.

Apart from restricting my ability to sleep around, it is a good cause, and you are making a positive difference to someone else's life.

You can also stipulate who the blood goes to, so for example, Breach Hut could insist his blood went to other STH's only, to ensure no AMS members got near LOYAL blood.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I always give blood, sorry if this sounds for the wrong reasons but it gets me out of work for an hour or two at the companies expense - having said that i would still give blood anyway you never know when my family or myself might need some that someone has donated one day.

Last edited:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
After reading all about Anastasia last year I contacted the Anthony Nolan trust and was sent an information pack. Ashamed to say that i have forgotten to do anything about it since but rest assured I will attend the next time there is a drop in in Eastbourne.

RIP Little Anastasia! :angel:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Well done to all those who give blood, but what about organ donation. I would like the system changed so it is an 'Opt Out' system, not 'opt In' as it is now. There are sooo many people on transplant waiting lists and many organs not being used where they could help.

I must admit to a vested interest here, I will be needing a kidney transplat within the next 10 years.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I donate regularly. I recently got asked to donate platelets. I haven't got around to following it up but I may well have a look tonight now the match is called off and I haven't got to go into Bristol.

Last edited:

Professor P

Oct 6, 2006
Thank you for the reminder. No excuse not to really, particularly giving your organs away. I've just signed myself up.

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Have previously given blood but it has recently been discovered that somebody in our family suffers from hemochromatosis with the rest of us being possible carriers. Not sure now whether I can dontate blood or not. Will have to check

Will certainly look into organ donation tho.

RIP little angel Anastasia :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Shegull said:
Have previously given blood but it has recently been discovered that somebody in our family suffers from hemochromatosis with the rest of us being possible carriers. Not sure now whether I can dontate blood or not.

This was discovered in my family about 6 years, it seems both my great grandparents were both carriers which was passed down. I had a DNA test for this and luckily I'm not a carrier of the gene although I do have very high iron levels. As far as I know blood letting is a good thing to keep the build up of iron down, but not sure if it's OK to donate or not.

Last edited:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
long time (36x) blood donator, took last year off as mine wasnt up to much). plan to restart this year, if they'll have me!.. a way to go, to meet dad's 78- he would have done more byt there was an age limit, so i guess they reckoned he needed it more..

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Tricky Dicky said:
Well done to all those who give blood, but what about organ donation. I would like the system changed so it is an 'Opt Out' system, not 'opt In' as it is now. There are sooo many people on transplant waiting lists and many organs not being used where they could help.

I must admit to a vested interest here, I will be needing a kidney transplat within the next 10 years.

Abso-freaking-lutely.

My daughter was on the transplant list and we waited for a liver, we knew we only had about three months where she would be well enough for surgery but a liver never came and she got too poorly to cope with surgery anyway, so was removed from the register and passed away four days later.

I am sorry you have kidney problems and I hope everything works out well for you.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
No excuses not to give if you are suitable .

Anybody out there given any bone marrow ; I recently volunteered and would like to know what the experience is like .:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here