Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do Chelsea deserve to be thrown out of the Champions League ?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
yes. chuck them out so ronaldinho can return to the competition! dissapointed to see him and deco drop out so early

God I hate Deco, he's a cheating diving ponce.

But back to the debate, players of big clubs spend the whole 90 minutes verbally abusing the ref/lino's but get away with it, so its just rubbing off on the managers. They need to sort out the former before tackling the latter

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Easy 10 said:
For f*** sake, no-ones allowed to say ANYTHING nowadays without everyone climbing up onto high horses, wringing their hands, declaring it all a "disgrace", and holding various hearings where they "investigate allegations" blah blah blah blah. Everything has to be so f***ing sanitised and polite these days, its just boring as shite.

Not quite, Easy. The Spanish manager is allowed to make racist remarks while UEFA do f*** ALL about it. And the Spanish fans are allowed to indulge in racist chanting while UEFA do f*** ALL about it.

UEFA are a f***ing disgrace. End of.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:

This is FOOTBALL for christs sake, not a knitting circle.

Football, you say? Darn it. I only came on here for the latest patterns. Altogether now - knit one, purl one...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Not quite, Easy. The Spanish manager is allowed to make racist remarks while UEFA do f*** ALL about it. And the Spanish fans are allowed to indulge in racist chanting while UEFA do f*** ALL about it.

Spot. On.

The suits at UEFA get their knickers in a twist over a load of old shite about whether or not a manager went into a referee's room (who REALLY gives a flying f*** ? I mean REALLY ?), yet the dispicable, disgusting racial abuse that players (and other fans) have to put up with is just brushed under the carpet with pathetic, derisory fines. They talk big with the "Kick Racism Out of Football" campaign, but beyond dishing out a few t-shirts they do absolutely f***-ALL about it, because they're too busy dealing with people supposedly "bringing the game into disrepute" by slagging off a referee.

Jees this game absolutely reeks.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the comparison with the racism is a bit misleading. UEFA have no defence on that, they could obviously do a lot more than they have and will be judged accordingly.

But you can't have people just going about lying about other people, managers or referees in a way that impugns their professional reputation and is clearly defamatory.

Mourinho has taken the piss assuming that in the muddied waters, nothing could be proved. His bluff has been well and truly called.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

I don't think thats strictly true. They fined them 2.5 Euros or something.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tooting Gull said:
But you can't have people just going about lying about other people, managers or referees in a way that impugns their professional reputation and is clearly defamatory.
OK, its a bit naughty :rolleyes:

But come on, arn't there more important things going on for people to be worried about ? So much fuss and nonsense over a throwaway remark, whats the BIG DEAL. Everyone gets so precious about everything all the time, its just so immensely TEDIOUS.

Why couldn't Frisk have come out and said "Actually Jose, you're talking out of your arse, and you KNOW it. Just leave me out of it, f*** off, and manage your football team for christs sake."

There. Done. OK so they're off each others christmas card lists, but at least the papers arn't clogged up with this shit for a month, and UEFA can actually concentrate on doing something worthwhile for once. Cos at the end of the day, who really gives a shit ?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
UEFA have probably blown it out of all proportion themselves so they don't have concentrate on doing anything worthwile.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Let's face it, the powers that be do not like Mourinho.

1st up, he goes and wins the Champions League with little old Porto. Dear oh dear, that will never do, a team from Portugal winning, the idea is that it is one of the footballing giants, from the major leagues.

Then he goes an joins the club with all of this new found wealth which is once again putting noses out of joint.

We have a well established football hieracy and they will ALWAYS look to keep it as a closed shop.

Can't see that they would throw them out, it would just be ludicrous beyond belief.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
OK, its a bit naughty :rolleyes:

But come on, arn't there more important things going on for people to be worried about ? So much fuss and nonsense over a throwaway remark, whats the BIG DEAL. Everyone gets so precious about everything all the time, its just so immensely TEDIOUS.

Why couldn't Frisk have come out and said "Actually Jose, you're talking out of your arse, and you KNOW it. Just leave me out of it, f*** off, and manage your football team for christs sake."

There. Done. OK so they're off each others christmas card lists, but at least the papers arn't clogged up with this shit for a month, and UEFA can actually concentrate on doing something worthwhile for once. Cos at the end of the day, who really gives a shit ?

I know what you're saying, Easy, and it's hard to disagree on this particular issue as we don't care about any of them really.

But bring it closer to home. What if someone said something about a person on here that was totally untrue, that people on here did actually believe (off the top of my head, let's say for example that someone was falsely accused of being a racist on an NSC night out). It's not being precious to get pissed off about that, and someone falsely alleging that should get what they deserve.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tooting Gull said:
I know what you're saying, Easy, and it's hard to disagree on this particular issue as we don't care about any of them really.

But bring it closer to home. What if someone said something about a person on here that was totally untrue, that people on here did actually believe (off the top of my head, let's say for example that someone was falsely accused of being a racist on an NSC night out). It's not being precious to get pissed off about that, and someone falsely alleging that should get what they deserve.
I think on the issue of racism, and an accusation of someone being racist, is far more grave than the gubbins thats going on at the moment over this Frisk incident. I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone was being "precious" in the face of racist abuse, or accusations of being racist.

But all these prolongued investigations and hearings into bust-ups in the tunnel, managers going into referee's rooms, Fergie and Wenger slagging each other off, etc etc etc...its all so minor and insignificant in the great scheme of things its just not worth bothering with. It just pisses me off when the authorities charged with looking after the best interests of the game get sidetracked by such a load of meaningless shite that no-one really gives a toss about, but they think they need to be seen to be "doing something".

If it was up to me, the charge of "bringing the game into disrepute" would be done away with completely, because you can guarantee that whatever supposed incident comes under that label, is a complete and utter waste of everyones time and effort.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I disagree with people who say that this is a storm about nothing.

There's a really good leading article in this month's When Saturday Comes that talks about how much harder it is to ref games when players/managers start slagging off refs. I for one am getting fed up with players surrounding refs, moaning about this and that. Managers foster that attitude.

We are already seeing referees dropping out of the game (I don't mean Frisk) as they're fed up with the constant abuse. I believe that UEFA, who have completely ignored the issue, have got to start addressing it because it could have serious repercussions for the game.

I think the clampdown on players swearing at refs is a start but they have to get to grips with managers as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fair comment Gwylan - and I'm all for stopping the insults and abuse that refs have to put up with from players on the pitch. To be fair though, they already have the powers to dismiss a player for this, so why they so rarely seem to excercise that law is completely beyond me. Players do it because they know they can get away with it - referee's just don't clamp down on it. If refs started dishing out reds to players when they are on the receiving end of a mouthful of abuse, we might see players thinking twice before they start gobbing off. Simple innit.

But refs are NOT above criticism. If a manager wants to criticise the performance of a referee after a game, then he should have that right. The ref also has the right of reply. It shouldn't need to end up with hearings, charges for this, charges for that etc etc. For all our sakes, Just take it all with a pinch of salt and move on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Easy 10 said:

But refs are NOT above criticism. If a manager wants to criticise the performance of a referee after a game, then he should have that right. The ref also has the right of reply. It shouldn't need to end up with hearings, charges for this, charges for that etc etc. For all our sakes, Just take it all with a pinch of salt and move on.

Sorry, I disagree. Referees must remain beyond criticism, like the Pope, they're infallible.

I didn't play much organised football when I was young but I did play cricket and rugby and in those sports you're taught that the referee/umpire is always right.

To take two recent examples, Michael Vaughan's criticism of the umpires in the rain-affected test match (can't remember where it was) earned him a stiff fine and Andy Robinson's moan about the South African referee for the Ireland game got him a reprimand.

But, thanks to the zero toleration policy, both games are generally free of the posturing, ranting, harassing and whingeing that football referees have to put up with.

I think it's too late to introduce such a mindset into football but the game would be better if they at least tried.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Gwylan said:
Sorry, I disagree. Referees must remain beyond criticism, like the Pope, they're infallible.

So a ref can totally f*** up, influence the result of a game that gets a side relegated/lose cup final/crash out of a tournament but they're infallible? Phil Prosser/Andy D Arsehole/etc....

I think not-if a ref is shite and the authorities still insist on giving the useless f***ing lump a game to run (usually one of ours) then managers should be allowed to have their say. Not in the way Hosay did but there has to be a balance-refs ARE getting an awful lot wrong and the FA do nothing.

On the main issue of this thread-kick Chelski out for no other reason than they're a bunch of arrogant Johnny Come Lately wankers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Here here

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bwian said:
...if a ref is shite and the authorities still insist on giving the useless f***ing lump a game to run (usually one of ours) then managers should be allowed to have their say. Not in the way Hosay did but there has to be a balance-refs ARE getting an awful lot wrong and the FA do nothing...

But that's exactly what does happen in cricket. The captains of the counties rate all the umpires at the end of the season and any sub-standard ones are quietly dropped. But they're assessed at the end of the season and in a rational manner, not in the course of the match - or just after.

That way, they retain their authority throughout and very few decisions are questioned.

I don't think refs do get an "awful lot wrong"; of course there are some bad decisions, but they get the vast majority of them (about 99% I'd say) absolutely right. And if they do get things wrong, why does having players/managers ranting at them help?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hang on a minute, what exactly did Mourinho actually say? one comment after the first game along the lines of "why is the ref have nice little chats with a manager" and in a press interview a comment like "we need focus, a bit of luck and a decent ref to be able to beat this team". Yes, there is an *inferance* that he felt Frisk was reffing in favour of one team, but it wasnt an outright claim of dodgy dealing. Ask yourself would it hold up in a court of law as libel? No, i think not.

To even contemplate kicking a team out of the competition just because of a couple of soundbites is comptemptable. Give him a slap on the wrist by all means, thats all it deserves.

If UEFA want to be serious about the integrity and protection of officials, then they should f***ing well do somthing about it. Instruct officals not to have chats with managers, and introduce proper rules to discourage the desent on the pitch. Wait a minute though, that would mean UEFA actually doing something other than sitting on there fat arses.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This story is about to take an interesting new twist. Frisk and Rijkaard DID have a second meeting at half-time ina private and secluded spot - just not in the referee's room. So Mourinho lied - but he also didn't. What now?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tooting Gull said:
This story is about to take an interesting new twist. Frisk and Rijkaard DID have a second meeting at half-time ina private and secluded spot - just not in the referee's room. So Mourinho lied - but he also didn't. What now?

Do Barcelona deserve to be thrown out of the Champions League ?

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here