Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DIY help sought

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm shit at DIY like really, really shit.

Fortunately I make up for that inadequacy with blinding forum administration skills, eh?

Anway, I have a problem I need some advice on.

In our lounge we have some shelves. They are, essentially, big long heavy wood things, each held up by two black iron (or iron-ish) brackets that look a bit like this:

10914_l.jpg

We used these shelves to store a selection of large heavy hardback books and all was well with the world until we came home one day to find the books on the floor with the top shelf (of 3) having pulled the screw and rawl plug partially out of the wall until the books tipped off, hitting the shelves below and making them do the same.

I want to re-affix the shelves in the same place as this will negate the need to drill new holes, and fill and paint over the existing holes. I had hoped that I could use some thicker and longer screws and rawl plugs but I don't think this is an option since the screws are about the right size to go through the screw holes in the brackets.

What can I do? Is there some sort of ultra hard filler I could put in the holes, then re-drill in the same place, perhaps use some more robust rawl plugs and maybe longer (not thicker) screws. Maybe combined with putting less of a load on the shelf - would this work?

Or do I have to move each bracket an inch or two along so I'm drilling into 'fresh' wall again? (I really don't want to do this!)

It's your turn now - some good advice please...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not sure you wil find a filler strong enough to hold the whole set up back up again. If you do fill it in and put the scres back in the same place I would put another bracket in between the two existing ones for strength. Might not look how you want it too though. Is it brickwork or plaster board you're attaching them to?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
If possible I would not reuse the holes there will be weak points even if you do a good job filling them. Assuming the walls are plasterboard, you can purchase proper plasterboard fixings (Anchors) that should do the job, if its brickwork, then maybe same as what you have done, but 4" x 10 screws which brown plugs, again this should do. Might be best to move the shleves slightly higher or lower to avoid the existing holes.

Edit, just read above, ignore plasterboard option!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Good luck. Feel your pain, as i am also really shit at DIY. I normally have a go but f*** it up, and then one of the Mrs friends comes round and sorts it out for me!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Would it not be beneficial to move them down 2-3 inches to give yourself a better chance of getting a good bite? Then, in theory, the brackets will cover the old holes. Make sure you use at least a 2"x8 screw with red plugs (preferable a 2"x10 with brown plugs).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Jul 20, 2003
:needpics:

my initial thoughts are take the shelves off, take off the brackets that have pulled loose, remove the plugs that have pulled, puff out any loose material, fill the holes with anchor resin, put in new rawlplugs, wipe off excess resin, run a bead of gripfill (non solvent) down the back of the brackets, replace the brackets and screw in, wipe off any excess resin/ gripfill that's been squeezed out, lean something against the brackets (the sheves perhaps) to keep them in place whist the resin & gripfill cures (this will be dependent on the specification of the anchor resin)

put the shelves back on

Should work.

cost: circa £10.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Drill deeper holes & use longer screws. You need the rawl plug to be in the brickwork to hold any real weight innit. Buy a longer masonary drill bit if you're current one doesn't reach the brick (you'll know by red dust coming out of the hole when drilling if it does).

ATTACK. ATTACK. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK! :thumbsup:

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here