Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disappointing TOYS

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did anyone have a toy in their childhood that was mildly disappointing, or perhaps just didn't WORK properly ? I can remember having a Buck Rogers STARFIGHTER that was supposed to look like this

brstarfighter.jpg

but that ACTUALLY looked like THIS

BuckRogers_Boxed1.jpg

It was ok, and I had many happy hours flying this toy around the house. A particularly satisfying feature was the yellow pop-out wings (activated by the small silver switch in front of the cockpit). Note also the twin PHOTON BLASTERS mounted on the roof that fired out a little plastic missiles. HOWEVER - the more observant and seasoned NSC posters amongst you will notice that on the TOY, there is a protrusive BAR that has been placed across the front of the Starfighter. In hindsight, this was obviously to stop children impaling themselves or their friends/siblings on what would have been a couple of fairly dangerous SPIKES. But to my eight year old mind, they grossly detracted from the REALISM of the toy, and I blunted several serrated knives trying to cut through that bar, sadly without success.

Anyone else remember a toy that ANNOYED them in some way ?

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Did anyone have a toy in their childhood that was mildly disappointing, or perhaps just didn't WORK properly ? I can remember having a Buck Rogers STARFIGHTER that was supposed to look like this

brstarfighter.jpg

but that ACTUALLY looked like THIS

BuckRogers_Boxed1.jpg

It was ok, and I had many happy hours flying this toy around the house. A particularly satisfying feature was the yelllow pop-out wings (activated by the small silver switch in front of the cockpit). HOWEVER - the more observant and seasoned NSC posters amongst you will notice that on the TOY, there is a protrusive BAR that has been placed across the front of the Starfighter. In hindsight, this was obviously to stop children impaling themselves or their friends/siblings on what would have been a couple of fairly dangerous SPIKES. But to my eight year old mind, they grossly detracted from the REALISM of the toy, and I blunted several serrated knives trying to cut through that bar, sadly without success.

Anyone else remember a toy that ANNOYED them in some way ?

Funnily enough, I had that exact same toy and I was very disappointed also this. Ithought you gotthe whole palace not just this little platform. Imagine my disappointment on X-mas day whenthis tiny box appeared........

jah2.jpg

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
BuckRogers_Boxed1.jpg

the more observant and seasoned NSC posters amongst you will notice that on the TOY, there is a protrusive BAR that has been placed across the front of the Starfighter. In hindsight, this was obviously to stop children impaling themselves or their friends/siblings on what would have been a couple of fairly dangerous SPIKES.

But if you got bored, you could always use it as a wallpaper stripper.

Cazza

Sep 8, 2008
my rampant rabbit platinium was disappointing.

but then again it wasnt really a childhood toy.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Domino Ralley, it took so long to set it up and was just a bit shit after a while, was much better making your own ( similer to the guiness advert ) with books and random objects.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
kerplunk.jpg
and
mouse_trap_thumb.jpg

Both look fantastic on TV adverts but Kerplunk took ages to put all of the plastic sticks through the holes and the game was then over in a few goes especially if the wrong stick was pulled. The plastic sticks did however made good hand stabbing devices when beaten in the game by younger sister.

Mouse trap again took a while to get ready but the game was monoployesq in that it could take days to finish. A small knock to the table often resulted in chasing the ball aound the trap trying to stop it whilst knocking over other parts of the trap by accident.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
fuzzy_cover.gif

Just a shit toy/game/art thing

I always thought they were for girls and it was about the only toy my nan had at her house as she pretty much hated kids. Bad times, I would spend a week in summer at her house shuffling ratty bits of felt along a felt board that long ago lost it's adhesive powers, longing for my Transformers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"A small collection of rare, delightful folk oddities for strange adults and maybe their children too"

WTF ? ???

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Anyone have "stock car smash ups" where you had to aim these VW beetles at each other and when they hit head on, all the bits used to fall off them. They never worked properly and i'm severly scarred to this day because of it :mad:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Anyone have "stock car smash ups" where you had to aim these VW beetles at each other and when they hit head on, all the bits used to fall off them. They never worked properly and i'm severly scarred to this day because of it :mad:
Wel that will teach you for trying to stick them up your arse, won't it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It appears this is actually a concept album by a weird folk type lady! It gets stranger by the second!

See below...

How did Mr. Trunk initially get in touch with you with regard to including 'Tiffany' and 'W.O.S.' on the 'Fuzzy Felt Folk' album, and what was your reaction to this?

I heard about the ‘Fuzzy Felt Folk’ CD from Phillip who had been contacted by Mr. Trunk. I think it’s great! Especially for Phillip, who did such an interesting job on the two cuts.

How do you think your tracks fit in with the general concept of 'Fuzzy Felt Folk' and what feedback has there been from your appearance on that compilation?

Most of the feedback I’ve received is that my two tracks (especially ‘Winds of Space’) “stand out from the crowd”. I’m thrilled to be in the compilation. I think it’s adorable. Especially the ‘Teddy Bear’s Picnic’ is one of my favourites. People have told them the whole CD makes them happy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Optimus Prime Transformer model. The disappointment wasn't the toy itself but the fact that I really wanted the Ghostbusters building and all the shops had sold out.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Etch A Sketch

The avdert said you could do this:

etchasketch.jpg

the reality was more like this:

sketch.jpg

:censored::censored:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Anybody ever own Chad valleys Escalado? superb game,a rather strange design fault in the 70s version has been noted on numerous occasions is the fact that horse 4s riders head seems to fall off and horse 1 and 3s front legs seem to wear down to the knub in time. So with all that inside info you can now go place your bets on 2 and 5 :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here