Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Parking

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
Missed most of this thread due to hollibobs last week - Im glad that some debate has surfaced on this. As a blue badge holder myself and a fairly regular user of the car park at Withdean I was a little shocked to discover from the club that I would have to pay for the priviledge of using my blue badge at Falmer!!. Its also worth mentioning that when I first got a blue badge I contacted Bods to ask about the scheme at Withdean ... with no reply ..... is it a closed shop?

No it is not a closed shop. If you read my statement on page 7 ( I think) you will see our position. I am sorry if we did not get back to you, I do try my best. I think there was a misunderstanding about the role of BODS. We are a voluntry group of disabled supporters who have tried to act in an advisory role but we do not work for the club & make no decisions on any policies. Questions about parking at Withdean should of been able to be answered by the club. We are supporters just like everyone else. Once again I am sorry we did not reply to your query.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, 120 spaces have gone down to 46. That's pretty crap. Anyone know the reason for this?

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
No it is not a closed shop. If you read my statement on page 7 ( I think) you will see our position. I am sorry if we did not get back to you, I do try my best. I think there was a misunderstanding about the role of BODS. We are a voluntry group of disabled supporters who have tried to act in an advisory role but we do not work for the club & make no decisions on any policies. Questions about parking at Withdean should of been able to be answered by the club. We are supporters just like everyone else. Once again I am sorry we did not reply to your query.

Thanks for the reply Richard Hebbard did in fact answer my questions and suggested that I contacted BODS which I did with the email address he supplied ... I hope the current situation is rectifyable ... I find it a little bizarre that I was able to park closer to Priestfield, Brentford and @ Dagenham & R using my blue badge than I am currently able to at Falmer ... the community stadium!

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
The evidence of what the thinking was in January 2011 is this post from saslowi, posted on 27 January, quoting an e-mail from Martin Perry that he had seen:-

The email you refer to was sent to me by Martin Perry in response to a number of queries I raised with him. I didn't post it on here as felt that a little unfair on the club as I hadn't advised them that I would do so. That said, Martin promised 120 disabled parking spaces which is now not happening! It's not good enough and the club should be brought to task over it.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
As a Brighton-based operator of 18 wheelchair accessible minibuses, I first contacted the Club with this suggestion in January. The offer wasn't taken up at that stage (although it was being said then that over 120 disabled parking spaces would be available close to the stadium).

Now that it is apparent that this isn't going to be the case, I have contacted the Club again - and am awaiting a response.

Ok thankyou ,i would hope the response will be a positive one from the club this time around

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
This bloody saga has claimed its first victim.

After two days of what has seemed endless typing on this thread, yesterday I got myself so worked up, stressed out and all round pissed off about this, that for the most part of the day I have been somewhat "under the weather".

If this is happening to someone like me, what is the constant worry about how are we going to get to the ground unless we stump up £180 blood money, doing to those of a weaker position?

I must confess the whole shine of moving to a new stadium after campaigning for over a decade, has been rubbed away. How sad is that?

Thankyou Mr Bloom and fellow board members.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
This bloody saga has claimed its first victim.

After two days of what has seemed endless typing on this thread, yesterday I got myself so worked up, stressed out and all round pissed off about this, that for the most part of the day I have been somewhat "under the weather".

If this is happening to someone like me, what is the constant worry about how are we going to get to the ground unless we stump up £180 blood money, doing to those of a weaker position?

I must confess the whole shine of moving to a new stadium after campaigning for over a decade, has been rubbed away. How sad is that?

Thankyou Mr Bloom and fellow board members.

Very. But please yake a step-back now Libra, for your own health sakes, and let others do some fighting on your behalf. Disabled issues will be well represented tomorrow - the question is whether the club will give satisfactory answers or again prove evasive. If I were a betting man...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hi everyone, I rang customer services earlier regarding my father's parking space and was informed I (he) has a space in Bennett's Field. Looks like they have finally made some sort of decision. Sadly I know some of you are going to be disappointed.

As an aside, myself and a few others are going to raise this issue at tonight's forum. At the very least I think Martin Perry should meet with a cross section of the disabled support and explain how the situation is going to be remedied.

shellsuit

Feb 5, 2009
i believe the club have made a decision on who is getting a space.i spoke to them yesterday and confirmed we have a disabled space in bennets field,and i received a text message confirmation today. i dont intend to be im alright jack about it though,this whole experience has been shocking from the club i adore and used to think were better than anyone on their fanbase care....shame on you albion!
i hope everyones parking issues are resolved

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Interesting developments and yes, these should be individually welcomed whilst we continue to lobby the club on behalf of those who haven't been so lucky. We don't want this to become a game of haves and have nots as others have alluded to.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Interesting developments and yes, these should be individually welcomed whilst we continue to lobby the club on behalf of those who haven't been so lucky. We don't want this to become a game of haves and have nots as others have alluded to.

It shouldn't have to be about luck. It's about need. And certainly not 'haves' vs 'have nots'.

I suppose one positive thing seems to be that the club have made a decision. Whether they stick to it or not remains to be seen...

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair

Just re-read page 7 again and picked up the line "We later contacted the club to suggest they send a questionaire to ALL disabled supporters (not just BODS members) to gage what peoples needs were". Any idea if this actually happened and if so what criteria was used to identify a disabled supporter ?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Well I didnt receive a letter or was consulted

tinytears

Feb 5, 2010
Just re-read page 7 again and picked up the line "We later contacted the club to suggest they send a questionaire to ALL disabled supporters (not just BODS members) to gage what peoples needs were". Any idea if this actually happened and if so what criteria was used to identify a disabled supporter ?

Yes it happened. We helped go through the replies & I believe there was in excess of 100 reponses. I was told the club sent them to everyone registered on the data base as being disabled. I think the club were aware that there could be some ambulant disabled that may not be on the data base.

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Yes it happened. We helped go through the replies & I believe there was in excess of 100 reponses. I was told the club sent them to everyone registered on the data base as being disabled. I think the club were aware that there could be some ambulant disabled that may not be on the data base.

Thanks tinytears - looks like the club missed a trick here - might have been an idea to distribute the questionaire as i/we parked up at Withdean having showed my blue badge.... ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here