Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Parking

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
:thumbsup:
Seagull on the Wing...just some thoughts to do with what you will at the forum ...do the club know about the distinction between ambulant, transitory and wheelchair disability...all have differing needs, & parking needs. Also, perhaps ask them, why can't we be better re disability than the other clubs, not just meet(?!) the minimums necessary? We're aiming for 'better' everywhere else eg pies. Finally...do we have a supporters disability officer for the club? Ta
Hello Pete and Sarah. Yes the club do know about the distinction between Ambulant,transitory and wheelchair users,I myself are ambulant disabled and a 1901 club member. I was told that as I have two seats...one for carer that I would get a disabled parking place,no mention of cost was made. I'm sure that if we had more ground space the club would achieve the target for disabled.I will do my best to speak for the disabled.Sally Townsend handles the disabled issues as far as I'm aware.In the meantime I hope this website will help you,thanks.http://www.disabilityfootball.co.uk/Nads.html

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
This issue too important to have lost down the board and so until it gets a sticky (please note moderators) lets bounce it back up.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm sure that if we had more ground space the club would achieve the target for disabled.

Well, obviously. If there were 25,000 parking spaces there wouldn't be an issue. That isn't the point though. The point is that the number of spaces for parking is finite, and known by the club. The club has decided to prioritise staff/press/VIP parking (608 spaces) and 1901 club members (650 spaces) over disabled spaces (46, including 4 for away fans, so 42).

There IS sufficient space for all the required disabled parking. The club have CHOSEN to use the space for other people to park, many of whom could (and should) travel to the stadium by other means.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
I don't know who has been invited to apply for them.

Some holders of disabled season tickets at Withdean who have a (fully paid) season ticket at the Amex haven't been sent any information about the availability of disabled parking spaces. The Club have contacted some disabled supporters, but not all.

Most people that we have spoken to (on Thursday) have said that they have recieved them but some haven't. The club did advise that they sent them out on 18.7.2011 but the post mark on the envelope that my Mum recieved was cleary 20.7.2011. Not bad considering that they want them back by 22.7.2011!!.
Are you going to the Fans forum on Tuesday Lord Bracknell? If so do you know if anyone is collating questions about this matter. My Mum has spoken to Bods and has been told that you and them have proposed disabled transport options to the club back in January and have had no response. I think the bottom line is the club have thought about 1901 vips etc and disabled was an afterthought. When we went to the Amex on Thursday to drop off the form to Sally Townsend the stewards directed us to an area over a small bridge that had over 20 disabled parking bays. When I asked what the whole area was for the steward said it was for Vip's players and directors. I then raised the question that I wasn't aware we had so many disabled vips????

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I think the bottom line is the club have thought about 1901 vips etc and disabled was an afterthought.

Sadly it is not so much an after thought, more of as a last resort final thought.

The previous poster seagull on the wing is going on Tuesday to the fans forum, and is asking for our disabled related questions to collate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sadly it is not so much an after thought, more of as a last resort final thought.

The previous poster seagull on the wing is going on Tuesday to the fans forum, and is asking for our disabled related questions to collate.

Im going as well. I think the best approach is to outline the problems, highlight the widespread disappointment, and get the club to agree to meet with a section of the disabled season ticket holders to discuss and hopefully remedy the situation. Given the nature of the forum I think this is the best approach.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I do like Bulldog's avatar.

Mr M

Nov 1, 2009
I feel I should be surprised that the club are taking parking spaces from the disabled and giving them to the 1901 club, but I'm afraid I'm not. It's proof positive of the clubs 'money before all' attitude these days. They're acting like Premier League money grabbing schiesters (sic), and we're not even there yet (perhaps they're getting in as much early practise as possible). The 'Falmer For All' moniker needs updating now as well: 'Falmer For All That Can Afford It'.

The 'Community Stadium' tag is a joke too, as the disabled parking issue is clearly going to stop some members of the 'Community' from attending games. But hey don't worry, some monied member of the 'Community' will gladly pay £360.00 to park in your disabled space (after all, the club would only have made £180.00 if they had deigned to let a disabled person park there). Makes it much easier for them to get to their prawn sandwiches!

The way the 1901 and hospitality package 'fans' are being lauded over all others is disgusting, and I never would have thought it possible of the club after all the years of Gillingham, Withdean etc that all levels of fans have fought through for them. To think that some of the disabled fans who sat in the wind and rain at Withdean now will not be able to see a game at the new stadium is a crime. I know 1901 and hopitality are paying a lot of money for their 'privileges', but if it truly is a 'Community Stadium' then that should not be at the expense (no pun intended) of other fans.

Brighton And Hove Money F.C. Coming to a stadium near you soon. Shame you won't be able to afford to go.

black shadow

Jul 22, 2011
Hassocks
Hi there Seagull!,

A quick look through this thread alone will give you sufficient information to ask enough questions on the subject of disabled supporters and disabled parking to fill the whole forum time allocated.

Just in case you are struggling, lets start with the hot button topic right now:

Why did the club send BODS an email on April 29th confirming there will be no charge for disabled parking, which basically reiterated what was told to us all at the time of purchasing our STs, and then this week announce that they would now be charging £180 per space?

As someone mentioned previously, Falmer for all!?! more like Falmer for those with deep pockets!

If you still have a copy of that email, please be sure to send it to Trading Standards - we have already notified them of the club's misleading wording regarding the general park and ride ie. the words "Free Park and Ride Buses" appears in the literature issued with our season tickets, as well as in a recent article in the Argus and on the club's own website!!? When we phoned to book the vouchers we were then told cost would be £30 each - in other words not free!! Trading Standards were most interested as they obviously will be to hear of the shambolic way in which they are now treating disabled fans.
One other point - having (under protest) bought three books this week, we now learn that the pensioner in our party can actually use their bus pass on the park and ride buses, and should not have been charged. Why weren't we told this!!?? and how many other people have not been informed of this?! We only learnt of it from family friends who have had similar experience.

We can't get to the forum ourselves, but implore those that do to make sure the club realises the huge level of disappointment spreading throughout its fans.

18 months ago we needed disabled parking at Withdean so fully appreciate the importance of that issue. Here's hoping the club see the light and do the right thing. (We won't hold our breath though!)

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I feel I should be surprised that the club are taking parking spaces from the disabled and giving them to the 1901 club, but I'm afraid I'm not. It's proof positive of the clubs 'money before all' attitude these days. They're acting like Premier League money grabbing schiesters (sic), and we're not even there yet (perhaps they're getting in as much early practise as possible). The 'Falmer For All' moniker needs updating now as well: 'Falmer For All That Can Afford It'.

The 'Community Stadium' tag is a joke too, as the disabled parking issue is clearly going to stop some members of the 'Community' from attending games. But hey don't worry, some monied member of the 'Community' will gladly pay £360.00 to park in your disabled space (after all, the club would only have made £180.00 if they had deigned to let a disabled person park there). Makes it much easier for them to get to their prawn sandwiches!

The way the 1901 and hospitality package 'fans' are being lauded over all others is disgusting, and I never would have thought it possible of the club after all the years of Gillingham, Withdean etc that all levels of fans have fought through for them. To think that some of the disabled fans who sat in the wind and rain at Withdean now will not be able to see a game at the new stadium is a crime. I know 1901 and hopitality are paying a lot of money for their 'privileges', but if it truly is a 'Community Stadium' then that should not be at the expense (no pun intended) of other fans.

Brighton And Hove Money F.C. Coming to a stadium near you soon. Shame you won't be able to afford to go.

Withe the utmost regret... I agree with every word of this.

Shame on you Mr Bloom. All this bad feeling is being kicked up in your name.

Yes we are grateful for the stadium, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. When disabled supporters are unable to attend, because they are suddenly being asked for £180 from nowhere, particularly after THE BOARD had already decided not to charge as at April 29.

I have been told, by a senior employee, that these matters have been agreed by the whole board.

These disabled supporter related issues are making me question the clubs new ethos. How sad after 30 odd years!!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The club CHOSE to open other areas. They CHOSE to prioritise 1901 members over disabled supporters. They could've kept the 1901 club to its original planned size leaving the additional parking available for disabled users.

They CHOSE not to. They might well have been surprised at the demand for 1901 seats, but they had the option to say '1901 membership is now sold out'. They didn't. They added areas that weren't really available.

As the club is a business I wonder how many disabled customers will now take their business elsewhere.

You couldn't be more mistaken. The additional 1901 seats were added to the East Stand and they came with no parking facilities provided as a member benefit.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
You couldn't be more mistaken. The additional 1901 seats were added to the East Stand and they came with no parking facilities provided as a member benefit.

So the 650 parking spaces for 'original' 1901 members were fitted around the generous 46 disabled spaces, were they? How many of those 650 spaces are actually needed in order for people to attend games? Could the car occupants not travel by other means?

The point is that many disabled fans CANNOT travel on public transport. Most 1901 club members CAN. The club decided to prioritise the 1901 club over those with greater need.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sadly it is not just 'the Club' who see it this way. The FAs own stadium guidelines surrounding reasonable adjustments for disability access say that it is not reasonable to sacrifice corporate/commercial opportunities to provide disability access. Is the club using these guidelines to justify it's approach here?

Either way they need to reverse these decisions, irrelevant of what they have based on, and make the appropriate amount of spaces available, and if they did say it would be free, then they must revert back to this.

650 spaces for 1901 could be cut back, make more of the 1901 member use the US car parks. from what I can glean from this thread you'd only need to displace 25-50 of them and you'd have 70-100 spaces.

There seems to be plenty of suggestions in amongst the anger here, make sure they get equal airing at the forum.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
So the 650 parking spaces for 'original' 1901 members were fitted around the generous 46 disabled spaces, were they? How many of those 650 spaces are actually needed in order for people to attend games? Could the car occupants not travel by other means?

The point is that many disabled fans CANNOT travel on public transport. Most 1901 club members CAN. The club decided to prioritise the 1901 club over those with greater need.

I know exactly what point you were trying to make in the post that I quoted. On that point you were mistaken.

You are trying to pin the blame on 1901 members taking advantage of parking spaces offered. How many corporate types travel by public transport? Not many! So therefore the club in order to attract money to the club have to offer facilities that people will PAY for. That money helps to subsidise carers FREE tickets in order to help the disabled person where help is needed.

Now, the club may have made promises that they have broken, that is between you and the club, it's nothing at all to do with the 1901 members.

For the record I will be on the bus, 1901 but not corporate. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know exactly what point you were trying to make in the post that I quoted. On that point you were mistaken.

You are trying to pin the blame on 1901 members taking advantage of parking spaces offered. How many corporate types travel by public transport? Not many! So therefore the club in order to attract money to the club have to offer facilities that people will PAY for. That money helps to subsidise carers FREE tickets in order to help the disabled person where help is needed.

Now, the club may have made promises that they have broken, that is between you and the club, it's nothing at all to do with the 1901 members.

For the record I will be on the bus, 1901 but not corporate. :)

The 1901 seats were sold with parking at Sussex University. This is stated in the license agreement explicitly. See page 2 "Designated Car Parking". The club attracted the money, as you put it, on this premise and not on Bennett's Field. Your argument does not therefore hold.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sadly it is not just 'the Club' who see it this way. The FAs own stadium guidelines surrounding reasonable adjustments for disability access say that it is not reasonable to sacrifice corporate/commercial opportunities to provide disability access. Is the club using these guidelines to justify it's approach here?

Either way they need to reverse these decisions, irrelevant of what they have based on, and make the appropriate amount of spaces available, and if they did say it would be free, then they must revert back to this.

650 spaces for 1901 could be cut back, make more of the 1901 member use the US car parks. from what I can glean from this thread you'd only need to displace 25-50 of them and you'd have 70-100 spaces.

There seems to be plenty of suggestions in amongst the anger here, make sure they get equal airing at the forum.

I sincerely hope the club did not use the FA for guidance. Personally, they'd probably be the last organisation I'd go to for assistance in any football related issue.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
The 1901 seats were sold with parking at Sussex University. This is stated in the license agreement explicitly. See page 2 "Designated Car Parking". The club attracted the money, as you put it, on this premise and not on Bennett's Field. Your argument does not therefore hold.

I have no arguement.

The disabled were promised parking, where?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here