Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Parking

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I've just had a rant about disabled parking on ATC.

Is anyone on here aware of a Blue Badge holder who has actually been allocated a disabled parking place at the Amex. If so where is the parking space and did they have to pay £180.

thanks

I've given up with this on ATC. Evasion, platitudes etc so I did exactly what Camillin eventually recommended and contacted the club direct (email). Auto response saying they'd reply within 5 working days and f*** all else since, after over two weeks.
My question was what facilities are available for those who are disabled but do not qualify for a Blue Badge (ie Cancer/MS/HIV patients, people with temporary mobility problems etc). Have now run this past MacMillan Cancer Support and the local CAB am now addressing this direct to Building Control at B&HC Council for details of the approved provisions and rationale.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Don't get me started. The club have gladly taken several thousand pounds from my family, who were effectively forced to join the 1901 club because the alternative seating choices (see major thread back in Feb) for disabled fans were scandalous.

Now, through sheer incompetence it seems and despite months of being told we need a disabled parking space at the stadium, the club have still yet to confirm whether they can have even a purchased £180 parking space! They simply haven't worked it out yet but in the meantime they've happily been selling off the extremely limited parking to able-bodied supporters. I think it's outrageous.

There are varying levels of disablement but those who are permanently wheelchair bound MUST surely be given priority above able-bodied supporters? Potentially not it seems. So members of my family have faced weeks of unnecessary worry and are still doing so. Without a parking space, paid or free, at the stadium they won't be able to attend. Not the best way to treat, I can confirm, fans who followed the club each week to Gillingham and sat in the elements at Withdean for 12 long years. A rich able-bodied JCL can and probably has already got his parking sorted. We're in limbo biting our nails.

I'm on the verge of speaking to the Argus; the club just aren't listening to protestations and it's adding a bitter flavour to what should be an joyous happy day.

Don't get me started. The club have gladly taken several thousand pounds from my family, who were effectively forced to join the 1901 club because the alternative seating choices (see major thread back in Feb) for disabled fans were scandalous.

Now, through sheer incompetence it seems and despite months of being told we need a disabled parking space at the stadium, the club have still yet to confirm whether they can have even a purchased £180 parking space! They simply haven't worked it out yet but in the meantime they've happily been selling off the extremely limited parking to able-bodied supporters. I think it's outrageous.

There are varying levels of disablement but those who are permanently wheelchair bound MUST surely be given priority above able-bodied supporters? Potentially not it seems. So members of my family have faced weeks of unnecessary worry and are still doing so. Without a parking space, paid or free, at the stadium they won't be able to attend. Not the best way to treat, I can confirm, fans who followed the club each week to Gillingham and sat in the elements at Withdean for 12 long years. A rich able-bodied JCL can and probably has already got his parking sorted. We're in limbo biting our nails.

I'm on the verge of speaking to the Argus; the club just aren't listening to protestations and it's adding a bitter flavour to what should be an joyous happy day.

Couldn't agree more, it's disgraceful. Your do realise that the 46 disabled spaces thus far announced is way below whats's required legally?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

thanks portlock - my friend is in a very similar position to your family except he couldn't afford 1901. He's is now seriously concerned that he won't be able to attend.

I've checked the numerous posts on ATC and each one has been told "just be patient", "wait and see", etc. It's about time the club made a decision and treated the disabled with some dignity.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I've given up with this on ATC. Evasion, platitudes etc so I did exactly what Camillin eventually recommended and contacted the club direct (email). Auto response saying they'd reply within 5 working days and f*** all else since, after over two weeks.
My question was what facilities are available for those who are disabled but do not qualify for a Blue Badge (ie Cancer/MS/HIV patients, people with temporary mobility problems etc). Have now run this past MacMillan Cancer Support and the local CAB am now addressing this direct to Building Control at B&HC Council for details of the approved provisions and rationale.

Quite right for you to ask this, the law is on your side - Equality Act 2010 which superceded and updated the DDA. Certainly it covers people with cancer/MS/HIV patients and also anyone recently diagnosed with any long-term condition that meets the legal definition of disability. As you know, it isn't just about mobility issues and wheelchair-users - although of course it's very important to meet their needs as well - it's about individual need and the law.

It's been said before on here that Blue Badges do not apply on private land - even if scammer private parking firms find them to be a useful cop-out way of identifying customers - they are not the be-all and end-all of compliance with the Equality Act. If the landowner/service 'know or should have known' about a long-term disability that meets the lawful definition (Blue Badge or not) they have to allow access to any reasonable adjustment made for disabled supporters. That includes 'advisory disabled bays' (and there certainly have to be some at a stadium like the Amex or the club will seriously struggle to argue that disabled people are not being disadvantaged if any able-bodied people can park closer!).

The only situation which is not covered in those you describe, is temporary mobility issues as this doesn't meet the Equality Act definition. It would be down to goodwill if someone with a temporary condition was allowed to use a private disabled parking bay and TBH is probably best not attempted to stop abuse.

Last edited:

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
Again...agree with all the displeasure at the clubs treatment of supporters with disabilities.however i dont think it is purely incompetence.i think the stark truth is they just dont care.for me,this makes the notion of a 'community stadium' a falsehood.from the moment the club didnt allow anything in the way of financial concessions,through to the positioning of specific seats for those with disabilities into the corners via the crass manner in which we are dealt with whenever any of us raises an issue-in other words-'we'll get back to you-just very busy at the moment'...and then never do! I just think the club has paid lip service to their stautory obligations.like many on here i have spoken with various officials at the club on a number of issues concerning disability and access.for me,the final realisation that the club do not care has been in the way it has failed to both act and respond appropriately regarding an assault on myself by a fellow brighton fan within the ground,during the last game of the season.

TWO WEEKS AGO, Bozza and I collated about 65 questions that NSC users had come up with in relation to a variety of transport issues. Ten of these were specific questions about parking for disabled people. The questions have been sent to the Club for an answer. The response so far ... nothing.

* ~ * Post your Amex travel questions here * ~ * - see Post #102 for some answers

PARKING FOR DISABLED PEOPLE

Bearing in mind that there are only 46 disabled parking spaces that are available to buy (on a seasonal basis only, at a price of £130 a season), what criteria will be used to decide which disabled people will be permitted to buy these places? And who will decide?

Is it fair to charge for a disabled parking space?

Did the Club advise BODS that disabled parking spaces would be made available free of charge?

If a Blue Badge holder (or other disabled supporter) is unsuccessful in applying for one of the available disabled parking spaces, what alternatives will be offered?

If none of the alternatives is suitable, will the Club offer a refund on the season ticket and PSL that has been purchased?

Are there any plans to help disabled people get from the Sussex University car park to the stadium, if they find that they are unable to get a designated disabled parking space, but do succeed in getting a space elsewhere on the University campus?

If a wheelchair is necessary to assist a disabled supporter to get from Sussex University to the stadium, does the Club propose to make wheelchairs (and pushers) available for this purpose?

Where at the stadium can wheelchairs be parked?

Will it be possible for disabled supporters who do not have an allocated parking space to be dropped off and picked up close to the stadium entrance?

What arrangements are being made for disabled parking spaces to be made available to away fans? How many spaces will be available? And where will they be located?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
ONLY 46 disabled parking bays at the Amex? That would be laughable if it were not such a serious issue (breach of the Equality Act, as I mentioned above).

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Couldn't agree more, it's disgraceful. Your do realise that the 46 disabled spaces thus far announced is way below whats's required legally?

I'm pretty sure that they would have met all the legal requirements in the construction of the Amex stadium. They won't have wasted £100m.

The tickets have all been available to supporters for about 6 months and we still haven't sold out our disabled areas so they seem to have more than enough spaces.

As has been said many times if a supporter is capable of sitting in the general sale seats within the stadium then they are capable of hoping on the park and ride buses or on public transport just like the supporters around them will have to do.

The 46 spaces will be for those in the wheelchair sections who will also have the option of a free ticket for a carer, and if there are any left the club may offer them on a first come first served basis but I personally wouldn't risk it.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I'm pretty sure that they would have met all the legal requirements in the construction of the Amex stadium. They won't have wasted £100m.

The tickets have all been available to supporters for about 6 months and we still haven't sold out our disabled areas so they seem to have more than enough spaces.

As has been said many times if a supporter is capable of sitting in the general sale seats within the stadium then they are capable of hoping on the park and ride buses or on public transport just like the supporters around them will have to do.

The 46 spaces will be for those in the wheelchair sections who will also have the option of a free ticket for a carer,
and if there are any left the club may offer them on a first come first served basis but I personally wouldn't risk it.

I am sure they have not met the legal obligations of the Equality Act. This seems to be a huge oversight and I hope they address it quickly before a disgruntled away fan sues (can't see a home fan suing, one would hope).

ONLY 46 spaces - eeeek!

They also cannot reserve disabled spaces for 'wheelchair users' because anyone who meets the legal definition and has genuine (longterm condition) need to apply for/use such a bay would qualify, as has already been said above.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Perkino, do everyone a favour And come back when you know what you're talking about. Clearly you don't so be a good boy and finish your homework. When commenting on such a sensitive subject you need more than opinion. You need facts so stop upsetting a venerable section of society further with such cras ill-informed jottings. At least on this thread please

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I am sure they have not met the legal obligations of the Equality Act. This seems to be a huge oversight and I hope they address it quickly before a disgruntled away fan sues (can't see a home fan suing, one would hope).

ONLY 46 spaces - eeeek!

They also cannot reserve disabled spaces for 'wheelchair users' because anyone who meets the legal definition and has genuine (longterm condition) need to apply for/use such a bay would qualify, as has already been said above.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as the conservatives are gonna take them away from a lot of people who have been needlessly given one. The scary thing is people who cannot walk more than 100 yards are allowed to opporate vehicles at high speeds!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm in the same boat guys. I think it's fair to say that disabled parking has, at best, been an after thought.

As things stand those that have registered/requested a disabled space are being sent an application form. I understand these were sent Monday. The form has to be returned by this Friday along with proof of care or mobility allowance. Spaces will then be allocated.

I am as frustrated as the rest of you; I have had numerous conversations with numerous people at the club (8 different people) and have been given a lot of differing and conflicting information. All while every other group has resolved and concluded their parking or transport situation.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Perkino you are defending disabled provision that on the face of it are worse than Withdean. Here is a website, maybe Lord B's fireman friend hasn't read it.

Football Authorities Guidance

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wouldn't worry too much about it as the conservatives are gonna take them away from a lot of people who have been needlessly given one. The scary thing is people who cannot walk more than 100 yards are allowed to opporate vehicles at high speeds!

I think you should stop posting. You're not helping matters.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Agree with all that is said here. 3 weeks to go, having watched the Albion for 30 years, I still don't know whether I can get there with my disabled son, whom I have carried up the steps in the South Stand, because the view from the corner at Withdean is rubbish. Club have done the same at the Amex, forcing me to find the money to go 1901, to get a reasonable view, and now I don't know if we can even get there!!

Rubbish Albion. Sort it out quickly. We were told there was a meeting last tuesday to decide on the 46 parking spaces. 1 week later we are still waiting for the letter that has supposedly been sent. I don't even really need a "disabled" space - the ramp comes out of the back of the car, so any space would do - I would just rather be fleeced for 180notes rather than 360, on top of the 6600 I have already committed to the club.

Completely concur with Portlock's advice to you - ie shut the f*** up until and unless you know something about the subject or get yourself a job working with Richard Hebberd, you seem eminently qualified already.
As a start though - a permanent mobility problem, which qualifies you for a blue badge, is not just being able to walk a certain distance, or necessarily anything to do with walking at all.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Agree with all that is said here. 3 weeks to go, having watched the Albion for 30 years, I still don't know whether I can get there with my disabled son, whom I have carried up the steps in the South Stand, because the view from the corner at Withdean is rubbish. Club have done the same at the Amex, forcing me to find the money to go 1901, to get a reasonable view, and now I don't know if we can even get there!!

Rubbish Albion. Sort it out quickly. We were told there was a meeting last tuesday to decide on the 46 parking spaces. 1 week later we are still waiting for the letter that has supposedly been sent. I don't even really need a "disabled" space - the ramp comes out of the back of the car, so any space would do - I would just rather be fleeced for 180notes rather than 360, on top of the 6600 I have already committed to the club.

It's a really worrying situation and one I am most surprised about. I honestly envisaged the most disabled friendly stadium in the country, one that other clubs would learn from.

That is absolutely NOT TRUE.

"Hopping" on a park and ride bus, as you put it, implies a degree of agility that many, many people do not have. Hopping on to a CROWDED bus, with a good prospect of not getting a seat is even more of a challenge. Being jostled by other passengers is hazardous - not just for people who have walking difficulties, but also for people with conditions such as arthritis that make it impractical to hold on to a handrail on a crowded bus.

The same is true for trains. Don't they have specially designated wheelchair spaces these days? Yes - exactly that area of the train that gets MORE crowded with standing passengers than any other, because it's nice and wide and open.

It is ridiculous to argue that 46 disabled parking spaces is adequate provision for the people who need to use them, or that access by public transport will work for the many disabled people who are being denied a parking space.

As LadySeagull suggests, this may even be open to legal challenge, particularly since car parking provision for other customers has been made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here