Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Parking Spaces

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
someone had to ruin it didn't they

.3% of society are suffering from cerebral palsy ?

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ditchy said:
Am i reading this right ? surely the dosey twat who parked opposite the bay is at fault !!

the bay was empty when he parked first, there probably is a rule stating you should'nt park opposite to a disabled bay in a small road. Either way the disabled twat (who is actually a twat) could've easily moved a few feet further and it would've been enough for big cars to get through...he has a long enough pathway to walk down anyway so a few more feet down the pavement woud'nt of hurt. At the end of the day its common sense that was'nt being used and HE put 8 familes at risk, sort of you had to be there things really.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Rangdo said:

What I really object to is parent/child spaces. Why should you get to park close to the score just because you were stupid enough to have children? I should get preferential parking for not over-populating the planet.

As a parent with a very young son I need a P/C space to be able to open the door enough to get him in and out of his seat. I don't expect them to be right next to the shop entrance but I do expect enough spaces to cater for parents AND that lazy prats without children don't use them.

Asda recently converted a load from P\C to disabled when the disabled were never full in the first place. They then designate a load of normal spaces to P\C - what prat thought that up - the whole point is that they should be wider. Put them at the far end of the car for all I care but please make them wide.

Oh and those people who choose to park right up tight to the side of my car so I can bearly get my son in - don't blame me for the lovely dents I leave on your wing with my door !!!!!! :angry:

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
GUNTER said:

These are really for parents who struggle with kids and shopping and need a bit more width for pushchairs and getting kids in and out of carseats. Unfortunately, they get filled up with selfish, lazy people who can't be bothered to walk a bit further.
Thats fine but they should put you at the other end of the car park. Serves you right :p

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Some of these people were even less disabled than Paul Kitson.

Ever been run over by an electric buggy?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Our local Sainsburys' disabled spaces and mother and baby spaces are RARELY taken up by people with disabled badges or mother and baby stickers.

They are usually 1) people who are "just popping in" 2) people who don't give a f**k 3) people who are elderly (not disabled, but consider themselves old enough to deserve special treatment) and are quite able to push a trolley load of Sanatogen and Jamaican Ginger Cake round the supermarket 4) obese people who wouldn't be fat in the first place if they walked a few extra steps carrying their bumper tubs of icecream and Multi-Buy packs of Mars Bars.

I wometimes wonder why the supermarket doesn't stick a note on where there is no disabled badge or childs car seat in a car. I guess they don't want to upset customers. Meanwhile the rest of us tut past from the back of the car park.

My mum's latest bug bear is elderly people bombing past her on the pavement in Worthing in those motorised scooter things, before parking them right by the door of the post office, blocking the pavement, then casual as you like strolling round the shop without a hobble or a stick in sight..

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Lush said:
Our local Sainsburys' disabled spaces and mother and baby spaces are RARELY taken up by people with disabled badges or mother and baby stickers.

They are usually 1) people who are "just popping in" 2) people who don't give a f**k 3) people who are elderly (not disabled, but consider themselves old enough to deserve special treatment) and are quite able to push a trolley load of Sanatogen and Jamaican Ginger Cake round the supermarket 4) obese people who wouldn't be fat in the first place if they walked a few extra steps carrying their bumper tubs of icecream and Multi-Buy packs of Mars Bars.
5) single mums who think they deserve to park wherever they like because they can shout really loud and they've got 4 kids and the mother and baby spaces are full

originally posted by lushI wometimes wonder why the supermarket doesn't stick a note on where there is no disabled badge or childs car seat in a car. I guess they don't want to upset customers. Meanwhile the rest of us tut past from the back of the car park.[/b]
they usually do where i work , the customer just goes in ,complains and they cancel it :ohmy:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Braders7 said:

they usually do where i work , the customer just goes in ,complains and they cancel it :ohmy:

Braders, if memory serves me right don't you work at the Hollingbury Asda ?

If so could you point out to those up high that just sticking a sign Parent and Toddler up doesn't help - the parking spaces need to be wider ( don't care which part of the car park it is though ) !

Cheers.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Lush said:
3) people who are elderly (not disabled, but consider themselves old enough to deserve special treatment) and are quite able to push a trolley load of Sanatogen and Jamaican Ginger Cake round the supermarket

OI! I love jamaican ginger cake, and I'm not that old !

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Jamaican Ginger Cake RULES and I'm in my mid-late twenties!

The point about Parent & Child parking spaces is NOT that they need to be near the store entrance.

Parent & Child spaces are designed to allow more space between the parked cars to allow parents to get access to the child seats that are fitted inside the vehicles.

Parent & Child spaces are not intended to be used by the parents of children who are capable of getting out of a vehicle on their own. Very few people seem to understand this.

Disabled parking spaces in car parks work on the same principle - they provide extra space for people with mobility difficulties to get into and out of cars. However, because people with physical disabilities usually find it difficult to walk great distances, disabled parking spaces need to be located as close as possible to the store entrance.

As far as the numbers of spaces are concerned - with disabled parking spaces, the numbers should be such as to ensure that, at the very busiest times, a space is available for every disabled person who arrives in the car park.

No-one should judge a supermarket for providing "too many" spaces on the basis of a casual observation that "usually" there are loads of unused spaces. That is how it should be. "Usually" isn't the same thing as "at busy times".

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

As far as the numbers of spaces are concerned - with disabled parking spaces, the numbers should be such as to ensure that, at the very busiest times, a space is available for every disabled person who arrives in the car park.

Exactly and it's a case of being able to shop or not if the space is taken - as opposed to having a to walk a bit further to the store.

A level playing field that's all.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Lord Bracknell said:
The point about Parent & Child parking spaces is NOT that they need to be near the store entrance.

Parent & Child spaces are designed to allow more space between the parked cars to allow parents to get access to the child seats that are fitted inside the vehicles.

But I don't think that I've ever been to a supermarket where they are not near the entrance despite the fact that, as you say, they do not need to be there and you could provide many more normal spaces nearer to the store which might free up some of the disabled spaces being used by selfish, lazy idiots.
The problem is that many parents use the child as the parent/child space equivalent of a disabled badge when thay don't actually need the space. I bet if you put them at the opposite end of the car park suddenly the parents would get by without them.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Westdene Seagull said:
whole point is that they should be wider. Put them at the far end of the car for all I care but please make them wide.

Oh and those people who choose to park right up tight to the side of my car so I can bearly get my son in - don't blame me for the lovely dents I leave on your wing with my door !!!!!! :angry:

Park at the back of the car park and no-one will park next to you anyway.

I always do, it keeps me away from prats who dent my door.
:p

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
clapham_gull said:
Having had to drive somebody around who is disabled...

( and lets remember that also a lot of old people and others who may be able to physically walk but with difficulty are registered disabled )

.. it's frustrating having to wait until some selfish arsehole has moved from the disabled space.

Disabled people don't have a choice where to park you see - its next to the shop in that place or forget it.

Maybe the reason it seems that there are TWO many disabled parking spaces it that disabled people can find it generally very difficult to get around. Think about your place of work, could a person in a wheel chair get there easily? I very, very rarely see people in wheel chairs in London.

The tube is completely out, and the buses are supposed to be adapted. But if you ever witness the hassle that a person in awheelchair has to go through, you can understand why they choose to drive.

So let them have a few spaces.

Totally agree. I used to have a disabled boss and his life was hell trying to get from his car to a shop. Until the transport system in this country improves for disabled people, they are going to need their parking spaces.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think as far as the Disabled spaces are concerned, people are being a bit harsh. Just because there are lots of spaces sometimes doesn't mean the number of disabled parking bays isn't justified- remember some people simply cannot park in a normal bay and get out of their car, so supermarkets probably have to cater for a "worst case scenario" (plus all the lazy bastards who park in the designated spaces because they can't be bothered to walk ten extra feet.

People moaning about too many disabled spaces should count themselves lucky- having to drive around for a bit longer and walk a bit further to the shop sounds a hell of a lot better to me than a lifetime in a wheelchair, for example, or being completely blind.

One other point- not all disabilities are visible- how do you know if someone's deaf for example unless they have a hearing aid? How do you know they're epileptic, or have a chronically autistic child who can't understand the concept of queuing for a car park space and screams constantly until you get out? There are a hell of a lot of non visible disabilities, so be careful who you're accusing of blagging spaces they're not entitled to.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
edna krabappel said:
People moaning about too many disabled spaces should count themselves lucky- having to drive around for a bit longer and walk a bit further to the shop sounds a hell of a lot better to me than a lifetime in a wheelchair, for example, or being completely blind.

presume you mean blind in general and not blind disbaled drivers

:eek:

;)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Horsham Leisure Centre has the whole of the front of the building reserved for disabled parking. Just where am I meant to park the lorry when I deliver pallets there then?:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here