Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled car mobility scheme.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Am i the only person on NSC who works with someone who uses their childrens or partners mobility car to get to work ? Is that allowed within the scheme ?

seggers

Nov 10, 2009
Worthing
Do you mean the use of a disabled badge or literally the car because if you mean the car its fully legal for someone else to use the car as long as they are insured.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
The rules are quite vague on this, but it says "the named driver should not deny the disabled person the use of the car on request" - basically the disabled person can give permission for the nominated driver to use the car, but the disabled person should have use of the car when needed or asked for - hope that makes sense

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whoever is insured to drive the vehicle can drive it irrespective of whoever is, or isn't, in the car. With the owner's consent of course.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
From what I understand, the disabled person must be either driving or in the car at the time.

That is for using a blue badge, with regards to the motability scheme - the person in receipt of higher rate dla mobility component is the person who signs the contract and is the registered keeper, they are allowed 2 named drivers on the insurance for no fee so it's upto the person who signs for the car as to who can/cannot drive the vehicle, the only use which is excluded is business use which does not include travel to/from a permanent place of employment. Contrary to popular belief the car isn't "free", it's paid for directly out of dla mobility higher rate (£49.85 per week). So if the scheme is being "abused" it would be the person who is in receipt (or their parent/legal guardian) of dla mobility component at the higher rate who is "abusing" the scheme.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The rules are quite vague on this, but it says "the named driver should not deny the disabled person the use of the car on request" - basically the disabled person can give permission for the nominated driver to use the car, but the disabled person should have use of the car when needed or asked for - hope that makes sense

I don't know if the 'Named' disabled person has given his consent,all i know is the guy uses it to get to work and back a distance of around 60 miles a day 5/6 days a week and anytine between 3am and midnight.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The rate is actually £51.40 per week now as it increases every year so you are right it is not a free car

The agreement my mrs signed in feb was for £49.85 pw, didn't know it had gone up tbh - whatever the cost is now it's made a huge difference not having the stress of trying to keep an old banger on the road!

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I don't know if the 'Named' disabled person has given his consent,all i know is the guy uses it to get to work and back a distance of around 60 miles a day 5/6 days a week and anytine between 3am and midnight.

That doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong because you don't know if he had permission to use it, if he has taken it without consent then the registered keeper would inform the police wouldn't they? There is a 20000 mile limit per year so there's plenty left. So long as the registered keeper has insured the driver he's not really doing anything wrong and ultimately he is the person at risk of losing out if he did so - at risk if being permanently excluded from the scheme altogether.

The contribution that a family member can make to the wellbeing and welfare of a disabled child is often only achievable if that family member can remain in employment and earn the money that will supplement DLA. If the benefits of the Motability scheme can be brought into the equation, life is better for the disabled child. It seems to me to be perfectly in line with the spirit of both DLA and Motability for the arrangement described to be allowed to continue. Business use of the vehicle is obviously excluded, because the beneficiary should be the family, not an independent business.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I am losing this,the 'driver' works along side me at times that are unsocial and all over the 'North' the 'Named' user can't use it because dad has taken it to work.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I am losing this,the 'driver' works along side me at times that are unsocial and all over the 'North' the 'Named' user can't use it because dad has taken it to work.

Sounds like it's none of your business tbh :shrug: if father and son have an arrangement it's between them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That is for using a blue badge, with regards to the motability scheme - the person in receipt of higher rate dla mobility component is the person who signs the contract and is the registered keeper, they are allowed 2 named drivers on the insurance for no fee so it's upto the person who signs for the car as to who can/cannot drive the vehicle, the only use which is excluded is business use which does not include travel to/from a permanent place of employment. Contrary to popular belief the car isn't "free", it's paid for directly out of dla mobility higher rate (£49.85 per week). So if the scheme is being "abused" it would be the person who is in receipt (or their parent/legal guardian) of dla mobility component at the higher rate who is "abusing" the scheme.

So if you do this car scheme you don't receive the £200 odd a month mobility money?

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So if you do this car scheme you don't receive the £200 odd a month mobility money?

Yep, but you have to have 12 months or more of your higher rate mobility award remaining to actually order your car.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sounds like it's none of your business tbh :shrug: if father and son have an arrangement it's between them.

Quite. It doesn't sound like they're breaking any rules.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
The contribution that a family member can make to the wellbeing and welfare of a disabled child is often only achievable if that family member can remain in employment and earn the money that will supplement DLA. If the benefits of the Motability scheme can be brought into the equation, life is better for the disabled child. It seems to me to be perfectly in line with the spirit of both DLA and Motability for the arrangement described to be allowed to continue. Business use of the vehicle is obviously excluded, because the beneficiary should be the family, not an independent business.

You saved me having to write that and probably explained it better than me my lord. If you are using the car for the benefit of the disabled person it is fine. Blue badge rules are different. You have to either be the disabled driver/passenger or be using the badge when picking up or dropping off the badge holder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here