Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dilemma - assistance sought about the right thing to do regarding Saturday

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Originally Posted by Jimbo.GRFC
Dear All

Sorry to lower the tone a little as like most I have waited 14 years for our moment on Saturday. For those that know me, they will be aware of some liver problems I am having. One of the symptoms is sporadic loss of blood from time to time and has recently started again, which in turn requires a transfusion. The longer I leave it, the weaker I will feel and with this in mind my wife is insisting that I should go to The RSCH who have been dealing with this (God Bless them) since it was first diagnosed.

I now have a tug of war going on between my heart and my head. The one thing I do know is that if I was to go up there at some point later today or tomorrow I will miss the game on Saturday as they will keep me in possibly till Monday, that I know from experience.

Having been a season ticket holder at the Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and now Falmer, after the 14 years of hurt I simply have to be there on Saturday and have saved myself for this game. It's been the one thing that's kept me going whilst waiting for the transplant. I don't actually know why I've written this on here but needed to express it somewhere.

Thanks for listening

Jimbo

Jimbo

There IS only one answer to this thread and, whereas you may have been hoping that someone would convince you otherwise, get in there and do what needs to be done! You will, at least, be able to listen to the game.

I will look forward to meeting up with you at the next home game thereafter.

Very best wishes

Al.

PS. only just picked up this thread !

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hope you get to make it on Saturday but better to be safe than sorry. Why jeopardise all those great times you'll have at The Amex in the future for this one game? And there are highlights on the telly in the evening, so you won't miss out completely whatever happens.

Jimbo,
As you know, I'm in a not dissimilar situation as regards match attendance, albeit due to the disabling effects of chemotherapy as opposed to your more "acute" condition.
I took the decision last week that I wasn't well enough attempt the walk from the University Car Park for the Spurs game. OK it was really disappointing after 50 years of watching the Albion; I didn't get to participate in the one minute's silence or see the memorial message for my father either - a family picnic on Trundle Hill on the last day of Glorious Goodwood just wasn't quite the same.
Things are not really much different this week; I've just had a long couple of days at the Roval Surrey in Guildford, the medical advice is unchanged and on Friday I'll decide if I can attend (or should even try to). Emotion won't come into it, if I'm not well enough then I won't bother. I know how you must feel buy my advice to you is to do the same.
My very best wishes btw and I hope everthing's going OK for you at Guy's.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
As I promised to my wife, saw my doctor this morning, blood tests were taken and literally just received the results a few mins ago. Normal Hemoglobin levels for an adult should be 15, mine are currently just over 9. My agreed marker with my GP is under 8 then hospital it is.....agreed to take another test tomorrow to see where we are then ! It's just that after the 14 years we've been through, to get within a few days of utopia is becoming really hard to take if I don't get there. I remember one Saturday night coming back from Gillingham I managed to get through to 606 (David Mellor was hosting at the time) and after a rare win I told him we'll be back and this Saturday proves that I was correct. Just need to take the next couple of days as they come I suppose.

Thanks All

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Posted that last one without seeing the above ! Anyway, you need to be careful. I hope you're not going on your own.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Jimbo,
As you know, I'm in a not dissimilar situation as regards match attendance, albeit due to the disabling effects of chemotherapy as opposed to your more "acute" condition.
I took the decision last week that I wasn't well enough attempt the walk from the University Car Park for the Spurs game. OK it was really disappointing after 50 years of watching the Albion; I didn't get to participate in the one minute's silence or see the memorial message for my father either - a family picnic on Trundle Hill on the last day of Glorious Goodwood just wasn't quite the same.
Things are not really much different this week; I've just had a long couple of days at the Roval Surrey in Guildford, the medical advice is unchanged and on Friday I'll decide if I can attend (or should even try to). Emotion won't come into it, if I'm not well enough then I won't bother. I know how you must feel buy my advice to you is to do the same.
My very best wishes btw and I hope everthing's going OK for you at Guy's.

Mr Dawson, of all the posts I've read, yours has to be one of the most sincere I have read. From my point of view, earlier this afternoon my GP (she is brilliant) I think more so because she understood what this game means to me personally, rang me and messed me about (that's the relationship I have with her) She'd done her homework and told me to enjoy the game on Saturday, starting naming players etc. Brilliant I thought but how do I break the Gillingham game to her? Can I take this opportunity to wish you every success for the future

Last edited:

Mr Dawson, of all the posts I've read, yours has to be one of the most sincere I have read. From my point of view, earlier this afternoon my GP (she is brilliant) I think more so because she understood what this game means to me personally, rang me and messed me about (that's the relationship I have with her) She'd done her homework and told me to enjoy the game on Saturday, starting naming players etc. Brilliant I thought but how do I break the Gillingham game to her? Can I take this opportunity to wish you every success for the future

Take it easy Jimbo, I'd have a word with your GP on Monday about the Gills game provided you're really OK after Saturday.
I've been fine since my chemo on Tuesday, so provided today (Fri) goes OK then I'll be walking very slowly from the Univ car park come 1.30 on Saturday.
Thanks for the best wishes, I really hope you get a transplant sorted at Guys. I had a secondary tumour in mine back in 2007 and am well aware how critical it is to have a fully functional liver.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'd hope Gimbo isn't genuinely asking should he risk dying - more expressing his feelings about this (f***ing awful) decision he must take.

I'd hope...

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I know that there has been a lot of banter on here and many mixed emotions for many fans about Saturday, (the excitement alone is not doing my health any good).

There are many fans that will not be there on Saturday for plenty of reasons including my dad who took me to my 1st ever game some 35 years ago, he is missing this one due to recent poor health. He has got a ticket for Gills and will go if he feels up to it! You simply have to put health and family before anything else Jimbo. It is only a game after all is said and done!

My pre game thoughts will be with my dad, you and the lost ones that have never lived long enough to realise the dream!

Now get yourself sorted you:tosser: oh and good luck

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
its only a bloody football match

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here