Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Digging out the old vinyl

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yorkie - Just looked in my Record Collectors' Price Guide. This edition was published in 1997.

An original mint condition Parlophone red label copy of Love Me Do by The Beatles could raise as much as... £25, it says in there. For the REAL rarity of that, you would need a demo version - it has the same catalogue number. Copies have swapped hands for over £1,000.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
As it isn't mint then it wouldn't fetch much at all then. I prefer to keep it.

The Large One said:
Ever experienced Dusty Springfield 45s on a Dansette then?

No? 1-0 to the fat bloke, then. :lol:

Just off to do that now.
As I started reading this thread, I thought I'd post the information that I used to own the ENTIRE set of Dusty Springfield 45s (including all the stuff that was recorded as the Springfields).

Idiotically, I sold them all to a mate.

And you're right about the Dansette as the medium of choice.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
six_yard_punisha said:
I've been trying to find out how I can get my vinyl onto my ipod. Anyone got any ideas?

Plug in your computer to your amplifier via the headphone socket or better still via a usb port (using "imic" by griffin or other).

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
My vinyl lps are slowing making their way by ship across the pond in 9 crates. My brother has had them since I moved over here in 95. I'm hoping he took great care of them. Included are all the Jam lps. All my singles and 12" came over a while ago. Vinyl is great. Trouble is, where am I going to put them?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Gordon the Gopher said:
While talking about punk I heard the guy from the Office was on Soccer AM the other day and saw Lovejoy wearing a Ramones tee shirt and took the piss when finding out he had never even heard one of their records. Anyone see this?

I still have my original Ramones tee shirt from a tour sometime in 1977 or 8. I was in New York a few weeks ago and wore it on a pilgrimage to Joey's grave. It's a bit odd paying respects at your hero's headstone, and knowing you're probably standing on his face...

Have any other old punks out there seen "End of the Century" yet? Best film of the year by far...

The Large One said:
Yorkie - Just looked in my Record Collectors' Price Guide. This edition was published in 1997.

An original mint condition Parlophone red label copy of Love Me Do by The Beatles could raise as much as... £25, it says in there. For the REAL rarity of that, you would need a demo version - it has the same catalogue number. Copies have swapped hands for over £1,000.

Ah, but the BLACK lable for 'Love Me Do' fetches more still than the red, because it made no 14 as a red-lable issue, then was deleted fairly soon after the Parlophone lable got changed. In fact, the follow-up single 'Please Please Me' saw first release in a red lable, only for a few days before they changed to that black lable.
Then you have to consider, The Beatles were a new, humble and hopeful little group from Liverpool at that time in 1963, so although they soon became humungous - their first releases were not landmark items in music history.

Incidentally, the boys' first appearance on record anywhere was the German issue of 'The Saints' backing Tony Sheridan as The Beat Brothers in 1961. Some copies had a picture-sleeve featuring Sheridan and those are worth the most. Beware of re-issues and replicas though.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In the loft I have a single which my mum bought me for my 9th Birthday ( to drown out the sound of the Zeppelins:glare: ) which is Something by the beatles with Hello Goodby on the flip side...but the label is the same on both sides!

I wonder how much its worth?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Deano's Right Foot said:
Yes. I sold the other one - far too old to DJ now. I have trouble staying up after 11 o'clock what with kids waking up at anytime from six!

Deano, MAN, how can you sell one of your decks??!! :eek: :eek:

Went to IKEA the other day and bought a wicked set of shelves, made to measure for vinyl. Now got all 3000 of my tunes on the wall. Oh God, it's great :lolol:

dave the gaffer said:
In the loft I have a single which my mum bought me for my 9th Birthday ( to drown out the sound of the Zeppelins:glare: ) which is Something by the beatles with Hello Goodby on the flip side...but the label is the same on both sides!

I wonder how much its worth?

Not a great deal, it would be worth considerably more if the tunes were not the same as the proper release, or the same on both sides even - but lable mis-presses are not usually all that interesting to collectors.

The exceptions might be where a few lables have typos, then get withdrawn in favour of the corrections - then completist collectors have to have them!
An example of this is the Who 45 'The Kids Are Alright' which first bore the catalogue number 05956 before corrected to 05965. The previous issue 'A Legal Matter' possessed the correct cat. no. of 05956, so 'Kids' was a labelling mistake that became somewhat slightly collectible. About that time, their new lable 'Reaction' issued 'Substitute' with a disguised title 'Circles'. This was a re-recording of a previously recorded title 'Instant Party'. First they corrected the title back to its' original name, then, after litigation, had to re-press the single with a different 'b' side altogether.
The final press had a changed lable-colour and an instrumental by a different band (The Graham Bond Organisation) called 'Waltz For A Pig'. Apparently this title was aimed in spite, at their previous contract-owner and producer Shel Talmy, who they had fallen out with.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
my most valuable vinyl has to be The Smiths with Sandie Shaw live at Brixton Acadamy. double album on red vinyl call 'Montgomery Clift' valued at a couple of hundred.
Another rarity i have is the 12" single of 'Then' by The Charlatans. they misprinted about 500 copies, putting an exact replica on the B side as on the A side. the cover said each side should be differant but they were the same. dont think it would be worth much but its a nice rarity.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Yorkie said:
I thought they had to be in mint condition to be worth anything.

I have the original 'Love me do' with a red Parlophone label (they changed to black the next year) from Nov 62 but I wrote my initials on the label because I took it to Portslade youth club and I didn't want it nicked

Remember it well,had PS I love you on the back,I think.My older brother had it,probably still has and I remember the red label.
Went to get out a couple of vinyls the other month only to find out the record player didn't work any more,so banished back to the wardrobe.

Lord Bracknell said:
And I thought stamp collectors were sad.

:lolol:

they are still sad bracknelzebub. You cannot put a stamp on a turntable, it has no sound, it contains no soul or spirit, it cannot envelope your surroundings with uplifting or enlightening notes, it cannot open the gate to nirvana, it cannot be quoted or compiled into a CD-R that might get you laid!!

Mmmm, vinyl, the food of love. I drink it's beautiful juices as they flow from my speakers :drink:

.....and on that note;

I have an original Fontana Records 1964 issue of The High Numbers ''Zoot Suit'' b/w ''I'm The Face''. This was The WHO before they released ''I Can't Explain''.
It must be worth over 5 bills.
Another gem is JETHRO TOE ''Airoplane'' b/w ''Sunshine Day'' on MGM. The pressing under that name was obviously a mistake, perhaps done over the phone. It's a decent release, but sank without much trace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here