Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dig in the Ribs - Avoid at all costs!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Can't help but share this with you...

Had a table for 10 booked at Digs on saturday - was really looking forward to it as I'd heard it was a good place for a meal.

We got there and ordered our meals - we didn't go for starters as we thought we'd be there too long! As it is, it took around 40 minutes for all but one of our main meals to arrive - One of our party had to wait for another 20 minutes...all for a vegetarian meal!!!

We then finished our meals and the plates were taken away and around 30 minutes later the waiter asked if we wanted any desserts. Me and two others ordered tequila's and everyone else ordered desserts. Anyway, an hour later, nothing had arrived. So we asked one of the waitresses if we could order some drinks and where the desserts were and she said she didn't do drinks and just walked off!!!

Then about 15 minutes later another waiter came and asked if we wanted to order anything!!!

In the meantime, there was a couple on a table near the window and the chap had got his food, but his partner hadn't - they'd been waiting 30 minutes since the man had received his main course and was waiting for her meal to arrive to start. Then another party behind us also said that they hadn't received a couple of main courses and then another girl from the upstairs came to complain that they hadn't been served.

We then asked for the bill. When it arrived they had the cheek to charge us for the desserts and tequila's that we had never received, they added on 12% service charge and didn't remove the £50 deposit!

Bearing in mind the bill was £186, when I said about the desserts, they re-calculated the bill and it came to £184!!!!

Luckily Mrs Supaseagull had a mini-statement confirming that they had taken the £50 deposit, but they were not going to take it off until I said to them either they take off the £50 or they don't get paid at all!

To top it off, they didn't even apologise or anything!!

Dig in the Ribs? more like Pain in the *rse!!! Avoid at all costs!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I must admit the only time I've been there I left distinctly unimpressed.

Also for all the fanfare they make of their dishes being "huge" and "loaded" I found I was still hungry after scoffing down a shared platter (on my own) and a starter. But maybe I'm just a fat bastard

Service was piss poor then too.

I won't be going back anyway

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We were in town on Saturday and very, very nearly headed for Preston Street and would probably have ended up in Dig in The Ribs.

Bizarrely I'd forgotten until reading your post that DitR is the only place I can remember being in, where we took the 'discretionary' service charge off because the service had been so shocking.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Can't help but share this with you...

We then asked for the bill. When it arrived they had the cheek to charge us for the desserts and tequila's that we had never received, they added on 12% service charge and didn't remove the £50 deposit!

Luckily Mrs Supaseagull had a mini-statement confirming that they had taken the £50 deposit, but they were not going to take it off until I said to them either they take off the £50 or they don't get paid at all!
This trick with not subtracting the deposit is pretty common particularly around Christmas. They rely on people being too drunk and happy to notice.
My wife fell for it once and we had to get a friend in Police Special uniform to call in for it otherwise it was long gone.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've been there a few times, albeit not for a while.

I must say I'm surprised at your experience Supaseagull, because I've always have had a good time in there. But if that's the way they've become, I'll give it a swerve in future. Cheers for the tip.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Been there twice.. first time my mate had broken glass in his starter, and the second time, we had to wait for an hour before eating. Total farce

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Been there twice.. first time my mate had broken glass in his starter, and the second time, we had to wait for an hour before eating. Total farce

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Was that one post for each trip ?

I seem to remember it being quite good when it first opened (15-20 years ago ?)and must have been a few times over a number of years, but like a lot of these places it became steadily worse and last went 7-8 years ago

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wasn't that impressed when I went there

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Wasn't that impressed when I went there

I wasn't that impressed when I didn't go in there (looked in the window) and so instead went a few doors down to see ex-NSCer Alistair Mr Talk Loudly djing at Chequers, and a top set it was too.

:thumbsup:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
not at all what is should be like,i doubt the chefs even make anything,they probably buy it in!!Is los amigos in church rd still,that is the dogs

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Went in there about ten years ago, a group of 20 of us.

I realised they'd undercharged us by a £100 so we legged it.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Should have just paid for what you thought the meal was worth and walked out. Perfectly legal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here