Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did we save ourselves with the win over Derby?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Millwall have Cardiff A, Blackburn A, Derby H and Wolves A.

I just don't see them winning 3 of those games.

You'd think Derby and, most likely, Wolves will still be in contention for the play-offs and will be too much for Millwall.

Not exactly what you'd describe as safe though is it? Likely to stay up maybe, but not safe. There have been many miraculous survival stories over the years with teams wining 3 or 4 of their last 4 or 5 even though they've been shocking all season.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Too much complacency on here. Sleepwalking to relegation

I'd suggest the opposite. Too much negativity and doommongery.
3 Millwall wins, the likelihood of Rotherhams 3 point deduction, the omission of Fulham's predicament, the unlikelihood of us getting a single point.
It would be the perfect storm that relegates us.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'd suggest the opposite. Too much negativity and doommongery.
3 Millwall wins, the likelihood of Rotherhams 3 point deduction, the omission of Fulham's predicament, the unlikelihood of us getting a single point.
It would be the perfect storm that relegates us.

I don't want Rotherham to be deducted points because we shouldn't need that to help us. Anything more than a fine would be harsh.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't want Rotherham to be deducted points because we shouldn't need that to help us. Anything more than a fine would be harsh.

With all due respect, bollox to that. They broke the rules. As it happens against us, but that bit is immaterial. A precedent has been set which says they are likely to get a 3 point deduction, and if that is the difference between us staying up or not, then sod 'em.

How would you feel if they only got a fine as you suggest, and we end up relegated by virtue of being 2 points short of being above Rotherham?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
With all due respect, bollox to that. They broke the rules. As it happens against us, but that bit is immaterial. A precedent has been set which says they are likely to get a 3 point deduction, and if that is the difference between us staying up or not, then sod 'em.

How would you feel if they only got a fine as you suggest, and we end up relegated by virtue of being 2 points short of being above Rotherham?
I suspect it will be Hamilton.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If they don't get them deducted then other winning teams, who have fielded ineligible players, would feel l very hard done, when they were deducted points.
You can't have one rule for Rotherham and another for the rest, because you don't want that.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

With all due respect, it wasn’t a deliberate cheat, more of overlooking when the loan spell ended. If we had made the same mistake and it got us relegated it would be harsh.

West Ham didn’t get any points taken off in 2007 because of playing Carlos Tevez, and he was instrumental in relegating Sheffield United whilst saving themselves .

If we need Rotherham to lose 3 points to save us from relegation we deserve to be relegated.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

And never mind us in this context either - if Rotherham don't get deducted three points, I would suggest Millwall, Wigan and Fulham would have something to say about it too!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If they don't get them deducted then other winning teams, who have fielded ineligible players, would feel l very hard done, when they were deducted points.
You can't have one rule for Rotherham and another for the rest, because you don't want that.

West Ham, Shefield United, Tevez, hefty fine.

I believe Rotherham overlooked that his loan spell had ended. If they had been on the ball he wouldn't have played. I don't believe they were trying to cheat the system.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
With all due respect, it wasn’t a deliberate cheat, more of overlooking when the loan spell ended. If we had made the same mistake and it got us relegated it would be harsh.

West Ham didn’t get any points taken off in 2007 because of playing Carlos Tevez, and he was instrumental in relegating Sheffield United whilst saving themselves .

If we need Rotherham to lose 3 points to save us from relegation we deserve to be relegated.

A very principled stance. Be honest though, if they were given the 3 point reduction and that was the difference between your club staying up or dropping down a league would you be upset terribly if we accepted the decision without a fight?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

I believe Rotherham overlooked that his loan spell had ended. If they had been on the ball he wouldn't have played. I don't believe they were trying to cheat the system.

Tevez wasn't an illegible player - that was to do with third party ownership. You can't compare different things.

Yes it was a mistake - but you can't play someone who isn't allowed to play! They will lose the points.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Whatever it was potentially saved us, it was Nathan that found it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not exactly what you'd describe as safe though is it? Likely to stay up maybe, but not safe. There have been many miraculous survival stories over the years with teams wining 3 or 4 of their last 4 or 5 even though they've been shocking all season.

For example....BHA...08/09....No hope at Easter....stuck on 39 points with only six to play....written off by almost everybody....last six games = 16 points!
Or Sunderland last season...all the big clubs to play...no hope...except they started beating all of them. Millwall could win 3 of their last 4 and catch one of Rotherham/Fulham/Us....unlikely...but so were the two scenarios above.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

As has been pointed out, it was a different scenario. If Rotherham had lost, it would be just a fine, but because they gained an unfair advantage, then that advantage needs to be deducted. The player was on the pitch for the whole game, and was instrumental in blocking a goal bound shot from us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For example....BHA...08/09....No hope at Easter....stuck on 39 points with only six to play....written off by almost everybody....last six games = 16 points!
Or Sunderland last season...all the big clubs to play...no hope...except they started beating all of them. Millwall could win 3 of their last 4 and catch one of Rotherham/Fulham/Us....unlikely...but so were the two scenarios above.

Millwall might do it, but it won't be us that suffers. I think Rotherham will get relegated instead. We have a good goal difference so even if Millwall do perform miraculously, they would need to win each game by 5 clear goals.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As put on other threads, the precedent has been set by deduction of 3 points for Hartlepool and MK Dons when they won games fielding an ineligible player due to an admin error. I'd imagine that Millwall and Wigan would have a lot to say about it if this precedent, as well as the wording of the rules, wasn't followed.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A very principled stance. Be honest though, if they were given the 3 point reduction and that was the difference between your club staying up or dropping down a league would you be upset terribly if we accepted the decision without a fight?

Only if they fielded Ronaldo, but it was 11 v 11 on the day, and I don't believe it was game changer. If we had made the same mistake and got deducted 3 points and it took us down we would be very unhappy.

At worst a one point deduction and a fine would be fair, but not 3 points.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Only if they fielded Ronaldo, but it was 11 v 11 on the day, and I don't believe it was game changer. If we had made the same mistake and got deducted 3 points and it took us down we would be very unhappy.

At worst a one point deduction and a fine would be fair, but not 3 points.

No, they gained 3 points so therefore lose 3 points. It's the rules.

Their only defence is if they can prove legally that the player's contract had been extended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here