Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did anyone else think it "might" be a penalty..

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So far we have Bozza and the Linesman...

The players obviously didn't and the referee was busy checking his iphone for the Euromillions results.

Come on, own up...

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I am almost smack in line with the edge of the penalty box and as soon as it happened I knew it was a free kick. Not even convinced it was Elphick's arm but even if it was, how the lino could have given that is astonishing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The players all collapsed in a heap WELL outside the box, I just wasn't sure who's hand it was but with the ref only a few yards away I wasn't complaining.

I could not quite believe my PIES when I saw the linesman put his flag across his chest five minutes later though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
as soon as I saw the linesman flagging and then put his flag accross his chest, I turned around to Yorkie and Ned and said , "he's given a penalty"

that was even before the ref walked over to him

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
as soon as I saw the linesman flagging and then put his flag accross his chest, I turned around to Yorkie and Ned and said , "he's given a penalty"

Yeah, there was an old guy where we were sitting who said he'd given a penalty almost immediately. I thought he was clever to notice, although it prolonged the agony waiting for the fatal goal. I would have won £65 if we'd won 1-0.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I don't think it was a penalty and what happened looked as if it was outside the box.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What I find infuriating is that officials have to be absolutely CERTAIN in their own minds to award a penalty. Thats why so many "minor" little fouls in the box go unpunished, they'll turn a blind eye or give the benefit of the doubt to the defending side. Effectively awarding a goal to a team is the biggest decision a ref has to make, so if he's going to give it, he's got to be damn well 100% sure he's making the right call.

From his position, there is no way in hell that linesman could have been certain that it was Elphicks hand, or that it was inside the box. No. Way. So the linos not sure.

The ref had already given the free kick outside the box, and as he was 6 yards from the incident, how he arrived at the conclusion that his assistant could make a better call god only knows. So again - no way could he have been sure that by changing it to a pen he was making the right call.

Those two contrived to thieve us of what could prove to be a crucial 2 points. I will never accept either of them absolutely KNEW that it was a penalty. I hope they felt shame and embarrassment when they saw it again.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Sorry, that wasn't the question. Did you see the players go up - did you think they were in the box ?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Given the fact the ref was a total prick I did tun to my father and say he's going to give a penalty while he was speeking to the Lino.

Obviously it was'nt.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i knew it wasnt a penalty the moment the ref gave a yellow card instead of pointing to the spot. otherwise he's supposed to point to the spot then give the card.

i couldnt understand why the linesman changed his mind, and the replay shows hes further away from, and certainly not anywhere near in line of the incident to justify him offering any input.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
If anything, it was CLOSER than what i saw at the game, i thought it was outside the D at first, then saw yes, it was close but obviously outside the box. Ref saw it, and reacted (booking without pointing to the spot).

That lino is a ****.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
it was not a penalty and the ref was very weak but like Bozza says it was a shocking human error but it was an error done with only seeing it once which makes the game what it is....today it went against us but i saw lee steele score against bristol city in the 90th minute when at least 5 yards offside so it happens

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sorry, that wasn't the question. Did you see the players go up - did you think they were in the box ?

sorry...i was directly in line and at first I thought it was Fletcher who handled it....then I saw the ref gave a free kick....the rest is history

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here