Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did albion send anyone to john vinicombes funeral?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
sorry forgot gus is god and we have a new stadium !all we need now is a pro albion rally with lots of flags and a bit of cleansing of non party views,i think this thread has answered a few questions. Best left here.

You seem adamant the club should have sent someone to the funeral but didnt attend your self, surely if ya believes for the man were so strong you would have gone to pay your respects, appears to me that your just trying to dig the club out.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's almost like the week long debate on wind up posts never happened isn't it.
It's not a wind-up though, the OP has 'form' in this respect. I thought RotR was a wind-up account at first as well but I was told no, it's real.
At least it is honest. The OP wanted to find something to criticise the club over - so chose the funeral of a local reporter. Nice.
Yeah, it's almost like he thinks "What can I use as ammunition against the club today? I know! The funeral of a retired journalist!"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's not a wind-up though, the OP has 'form' in this respect. I thought RotR was a wind-up account at first as well but I was told no, it's real.
Yeah, it's almost like he thinks "What can I use as ammunition against the club today? I know! The funeral of a retired journalist!"

He hadn't retired.

That's one of the sadnesses of Vinicombe's passing - he was still very active. :(

Fur Cough

Can I point out that RotR is a lifelong fan of The Albion and has gone to great lengths to support our club through more seasons than most of us on here. He even bought a house in Goldstone Lane to be close to the club.

Yes his posts and Threads can sometimes be pretty dire but every now and then if you read through some there are very pertinent questions regarding the direction the club is going.

I also think that the original question is valid, not to have a go at the club but maybe to make it stop and think about keeping in touch with the fans, you know, the people who kept the club afloat.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I also think that the original question is valid, not to have a go at the club but maybe to make it stop and think about keeping in touch with the fans, you know, the people who kept the club afloat.

For the eighth time, he asked a question (fair enough), though I've no idea why - then answered it himself based on his own supposition. Then he carried on with this supposition, one which is based on... nothing.

That's what has got people's backs up.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
sorry forgot gus is god and we have a new stadium !all we need now is a pro albion rally with lots of flags and a bit of cleansing of non party views,i think this thread has answered a few questions. Best left here.

Yes, you're absolutely right of course - if only we hadn't got a new stadium, everyone at the Albion would have gone to the funeral.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As someone who knew John, and coulnt make the funeral, I find this thread extremely distasteful.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

Because you're embarrassed? I like your input usually, makes me laugh, but stop digging a hole. If you wanted to know, should have just posted a plain simple question. Or even better, contacted the club.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I echo Granny's point entirely.

But lets put some facts around this. JV ended his days as match reporter on the Albion in the mid 1990s. How many people in an official capacity with the club now would have known him them? Perhaps Martin Hinshelwood and Ray Bloom at a senior level? Ed David at a junior level. Certainly not many others.

That doesnt denigrate from JVs memory, it doesnt make the club heartless if ken Brown didnt attend. Amongst all the people JV would have known in cricket, football and golf circles I'm sure there were a lot of people there who paid their respects and had fond memeories of him. My wife who worked with JV up til 1999 would have liked to have gonbe but work commitments didnt allow. That doesnt make her heartless or soulless either.

hear hear granny wax JV was one of the nicest guys in footy circles you could wish to meet and this thread is indeed distasteful

Thats exactly why he should have been respected by the club and why i'm so angry and upset to be told he wasn't. I was hoping that this would be proved wrong quickly. JV was part of my albion up bringing when the argus was the only real outlet for info. I am told others who WERE there did not take this well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here