Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Bar: definitive (hopefullly!)opening times, rules re kids, plus Dark Star news

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Good post from les dynam.

People are using their children as a bit of a smokescreen here. Tell the truth, most of you are pissed off because YOU won't be allowed in the bar if you take your kid to footie.
It's nothing to do with the actual children being unhappy, they will be equally as happy in any family friendly pub where there are things to keep them entertained. I dare say they will be more happy in the concourse with a bit of space to play in (concourses could REALLY do with some seats and tables though). The fans bar will be PACKED, no place for kids.

*by kids I mean U14, no problem with teenagers.

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
but the point is it's a 'supporters bar' and my son is a supporter. he's 8 now and has been coming with me since he was 5. not once have i had to leave the withdean or any away ground early co's hes causing problems or running around screaming. Bring the children up correctly and they will behave when out. i'm not going into the bar to get drunk with my son. what i want to do is have a pint, something to eat and buy my son a drink(s) and food. i will probably spend a min of £20 which is lot more than someone who has a couple of pints. so as i said before the maximise revenue tosh is bullshit.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Let's be honest. With only 1% of the attendees even allowed in the place hardly any of you are getting in and I doubt many will even try after a few weeks. It's going to be mayhem and the only time Ill be tempted is if I happen to be ay the ground an hour after the match.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This all boils down to the poor communication from the club in my opinion. Not only on this issue but many others conflicting information has been given out at various times.

I tend to agree with the above, that on some issues the club have been a little slow or a tad misleading with some of their information they have given out. It is like the bookmakers thread where I and quite a few others were told that '' It might not fit in with the whole family thing'' when really the truth was that they were struggling to cut a deal with any of the high street companies. Since then we have heard that vacancy's for staff have appeared locally. I don`t need to mention who told me about the bookmakers bit but the club need to get their stories straight on these matters because lets face it we are the most annoying and obstinate bunch of fans out there once we get the impression someone is giving us a bit of flannel.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Kids are NOT allowed in there on matchdays. Apparently that is the law, not a club decision. I made the point about people wanting to see the mosaic: Martin says that kids are allowed in during the other opening times, when it is designated a coffee bar. So an extra trip may be necessary...

My son and I live in Lincolnshire-we will only be travelling down on matchdays. We've got our pictures on the Mosaic, but my son will only be able to see it if we make a special 6 hour trip on a non match day? Complete stupidity.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No argument from me about kids not being allowed in. Seems quite reasonable. It's a bar and they want to maximise revenue :shrug:

Spare me the "community stadium" business, we all know what that was really about.

Maximise revenue....... I like it. Not sure they should let women in then.They don`t drink so much generally and we want money across that bar. I`m sure you drink plenty of pints though Edna.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My son and I live in Lincolnshire-we will only be travelling down on matchdays. We've got our pictures on the Mosaic, but my son will only be able to see it if we make a special 6 hour trip on a non match day? Complete stupidity.

In those circumstances I would speak to someone at the club once the initial panic has settled down and I'm sure something will be possible as long as common sense prevails (it usually does!).

Don't know if it has already been raised but far from everything starting at 1pm the hospitality services kick off at midday (the east stand restaurant is advertised as such and a friend who is in the 1901 in the west stand is planning to lunch at midday). Of course I can understand the dichotemy between the concourse and the hospitality areas but linking Dick's Bar to the former is slightly disingenuous in my opinion.

That said, I am not affected as I shan't be there so I will shut up and butt out :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza, you are sounding a little bitter, not your usual graceful self ?

I'm not sure my NSC demeanour has ever been described as graceful. But I'll thank you and give you positive approval just as soon as I submit this post.

No, not bitter at all.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I'm not sure my NSC demeanour has ever been described as graceful. But I'll thank you and give you positive approval just as soon as I submit this post.

No, not bitter at all.
Maybe graceful wasn't the right description, :lolol: but you know what I mean, you are usually very positive in the way you come across...until now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think some of those arguing that children ought not to be let in, to preserve it as a 'proper' bar, rather than a cafe-bar, are going to be very disappointed when they get in there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe graceful wasn't the right description, :lolol: but you know what I mean, you are usually very positive in the way you come across...until now.

I'm very positive about the Albion right now - who wouldn't be?

I think it's a shame children won't be permitted entry to Dick's and I am curious as to why given, as I've already said, that I've seen children in numerous similar establishments at grounds all over the country. I'm a complete layman when it comes to this stuff, so I'm interested what is different about our bar to these others that means children are not allowed due to a point of law.

Is it a big deal? Of course not - the capacity of Dick's is such that it really will effect so few people. But it is a shame.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think some of those arguing that children ought not to be let in, to preserve it as a 'proper' bar, rather than a cafe-bar, are going to be very disappointed when they get in there.

I meant to make the same point: Having been in there I really can't see it every being a loud, raucous, hug-your-chums and spill your beer sort of bar - children or not.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
A no kids rule is a little harsh and the resons given by the club appear to be a bit of a smokescreen but in reality not many of us are ever going to get in the place unless we camp outside from the early hours!
My mate and I would like to try and get in there for a post match pint or two but imagine it's going to be a nightmare to do so unless entry is going to be provided to the "in crowd" via a funny handshake or something.
My question is if I leave the WSU concourse and go outside of the ground ( believe only entry to Dick's is via the outside doors by the club shop) to try and enter Dick's (sounds wrong!) but find the place full will I be allowed back into the West Stand for a beer?

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
If there are no kids allowed in the supporters bar, why are they allowed in the 1901 bar. The arguement of there is more room to run around in is crap. If anyone runs around in the 1901 I'm sure a polite steward will ask them not to disturb the 1901 ambience created by not wearing replica kits!

In all seriousness, if the club insists on this policy, it needs to provide something on a par with of all people Cardiff City, who from lunchtime give the kids something else to do.

The club say we must be there 90mins before kick off. May I ask do they have plans for those under 12 say?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here