Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Bar: definitive (hopefullly!)opening times, rules re kids, plus Dark Star news

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Just come in from dealing with a REAL binfest (a dustbin crawling with maggots - my fault for not gutting my fish in situ after my last trip to Southwick Arm, the bream and mackerel are in big time, fellow sea anglers) to find this one!
Everything is new. We most certainly are being listened to (proof of that is the fact that we have a supporters' bar) Club policy is being made on the hoof, and can be changed if our points are recognised as valid, there is no doubt of that. If the majority of fans want kids to be allowed in (and I am with the yes vote, it's supposed to be a community stadium) then I am sure that, as long as it is indeed within the terms of the licence, it can happen. I would agree that communication has not been of the best on occasions, which is why i have done my best to sort things out - but what we have is MAGNIFICENT, let's celebrate it :)

Good post. As a parent with a well behaved child who i take to matches, i just want to be able to meet with friends for a drink and maybe a bite to eat to talk about the game. The Sportsman did the job at Withdean and i hope the supporters bar will not discriminate against parents when all is sorted out. Falmer For All.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Good post. As a parent with a well behaved child who i take to matches, i just want to be able to meet with friends for a drink and maybe a bite to eat to talk about the game. The Sportsman did the job at Withdean and i hope the supporters bar will not discriminate against parents when all is sorted out. Falmer For All.

You can. In ANY of the other bars.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The club say we must be there 90mins before kick off. May I ask do they have plans for those under 12 say?

Yes, apparently Tony Bloom is going to put on a Punch and Judy show on the concourses while Martin Perry makes balloon animals. Blimey - what other responsibilities do people expect the club to take on? They're all but paying for everyone to get to the ground, have reduced the prices to kids to next for nothing and given everyone a nice comfy seat....

Personally, I'm going to demand that a club employee sits next to me throughout and describes the action as I find it all a bit tiring actually having to watch a match with my own eyes. And after the game, I assume Gus will send out a few of the unused subs to carry me back to the train station as my feet get a bit achey if I walk too far. If not, I'll be demanding answers on Ask The Club!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You can. In ANY of the other bars.

I'm WSU, you're WSL, Ed's in the North. We want to have a beer and a chat before the game - where do we do it?

(Clue: there's no freedom to move between concourses until after a game)

Lush

Mods' Pet
They are just not like a proper bar. Nowhere to sit (nowhere to put your drink but i am sure that has been sorted) and bloody cold in winter.

I guess those who want to get into Dicks will need to be there at 12.30 to queue.

Those who want to sit in a pub before the game will do it in Brighton and come later.

Those who don't mind standing with a pint on a concourse - and I remember being thrilled at certain away grounds when this was an option - will do that.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What animals will Martin be making, Giraffes I hope! Now i am very excited.

If I were in his shoes at the moment, I wouldn't bother with animals. I'd be making little Albion fans instead and be jabbing pins into them, voodoo style :wink:

Seriously though, while all these issues may be valid in isolation the cumulative effect has become just one huge whinge. I hold my hands up, I criticised catering after the SSCF because I felt that the idea of the ramp-up events was to make teething problems plain, but since then it seems like every bit of news is greeted with a cacophony of complaints. The last time I remember it being this bad was when we reached the Play-Off Final... it seems there's something about the good times that brings out the worst in us....

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm WSU, you're WSL, Ed's in the North. We want to have a beer and a chat before the game - where do we do it?

(Clue: there's no freedom to move between concourses until after a game)
Well don't plan to meet in Dick's. It's been pointed out on here and in other places that capacity is 1% of the capacity of the stadium. Now not everybody is going to want to go there before the game, but even if only 2% want to meet in Dick's then that's about 200 of you inside and 200 queuing outside. In other words unless you plan to get there early and queue up outside before it opens don't bank on getting in.

I'm neutral in this argument as I can see both sides (my offspring are over 18). When they were younger we went to Shearer's Bar at Newcastle which is child-friendly and brilliant. It's also big. If my children were little, if this was 2001 and they were 14 and 8, I don't think they'd have enjoyed the experience of queuing up just to get into a packed bar. Maybe suppressing the demand a bit by denying entry to children (and by extension their parents) is a 'necessary evil'? I appreciate it might not be what people were expecting, and that it's discriminates against families but the club is still finding it's way at the moment. We've all glibly talked about the "22,000 capacity" as if it were just a number, I think everybody is now realising that actually that does translate to twenty two thousand people all with different ideas, attitudes, wants and desires. A few eggs are going to get broken to make the omelette.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yep. Harvey's certainly. Dark Star if they can get enough brewed in time.

Well, that's settled it - not fussed about joining the scrum at Dick's. Harveys for me, coke for the boy and we'll be as happy as pigs in the proverbial

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If the concourses aren't good places to have a drink and a chat in, then that's a much bigger problem.

That's what I tried to say(badly) a while ago.

The bar is an extra, an add-on.

If the rest of stadium's unsuitable, that's the issue

One thing I discovered on Tuesday ... they don't let you take your drink outside. The stewards were very polite about this, but - for the second time in my Albion-following history - I got told off for drinking champagne outside a football ground. The first was at Gay Meadow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here