Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Bar: definitive (hopefullly!)opening times, rules re kids, plus Dark Star news

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

Either I missed all these kids or they were in there much later but before and after the match I didn't see any in there and as I mentioned previously on my way in I saw the stewards turning people with children away.

Why on earth you would want to take children in there I've no idea. Teenagers perhaps but young kids are not gonna have a lot of fun at all. It's just a big room packed with jovial men and beer. If you think that's what your children like and still want to moan that they're not allowed then so be it. But seriously, how ANYONE could consider that a place for children I have no idea. But each to their own eh? I certainly wouldn't take kids in there, even if it was allowed

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was exactly as I expected, having visited it when it was empty a few weeks back.

A complete cross-section of fans - male, female, old and young. People sitting and standing around having a drink and a chat. Many seemed to be in family groups and families often include children.

This was pre-match from 1:30 to 2:30ish.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It was exactly as I expected, having visited it when it was empty a few weeks back.

A complete cross-section of fans - male, female, old and young. People sitting and standing around having a drink and a chat. Many seemed to be in family groups and families often include children.

This was pre-match from 1:30 to 2:30ish.

I think I saw you

:wave:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Either I missed all these kids or they were in there much later but before and after the match I didn't see any in there and as I mentioned previously on my way in I saw the stewards turning people with children away.

Why on earth you would want to take children in there I've no idea. Teenagers perhaps but young kids are not gonna have a lot of fun at all. It's just a big room packed with jovial men and beer. If you think that's what your children like and still want to moan that they're not allowed then so be it. But seriously, how ANYONE could consider that a place for children I have no idea. But each to their own eh? I certainly wouldn't take kids in there, even if it was allowed

The kids were in there from the beginning. If you were in there and didn't notice them, all your whining and posturing from the past few days has just been blown out of the water, as they evidently took away nothing from your enjoyment of the place.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The kids were in there from the beginning. If you were in there and didn't notice them, all your whining and posturing from the past few days has just been blown out of the water, as they evidently took away nothing from your enjoyment of the place.

If I don't notice them and it doesn't stop me getting in I dont have a problem at all. I still don't agree with it, and I think that parents should respect the wishes of the club and other fans who have asked that kids not be allowed in BUT ultimately f*** it, I had a great day and I look forward to many more. The sun is out and the cricket is going well, I really shouldn't be sat at my computer arguing on the internet for the sake of it. Therefore I'm taking Test Match Special with me to the beach

Toodle pip

xx

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If I don't notice them and it doesn't stop me getting in I dont have a problem at all. I still don't agree with it, and I think that parents should respect the wishes of the club and other fans who have asked that kids not be allowed in BUT ultimately f*** it, I had a great day and I look forward to many more. The sun is out and the cricket is going well, I really shouldn't be sat at my computer arguing on the internet for the sake of it. Therefore I'm taking Test Match Special with me to the beach

Toodle pip

xx

We heard you first time around - and the subsequent dozens of times since.

Still, as long as it's your problem and not mine, I'm cool with that. :cool:

Toodle pip.

xx

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This picture shows how much space there is in Dick's, even when at capacity. And, oh, look, a child in the bottom right.

P1060312.jpg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That picture makes it appear about half full? Were they turning people away at this time?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Yes look at the little fekkr !

he s sitting on the floor when there a perfectly good chair available right next to him, !

troublemaker ! you can see why some dont want children in DICKs BAR

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That picture makes it appear about half full? Were they turning people away at this time?

I'm pretty sure I took that photo shortly after going in, so it 1:30-1:45ish. They were not turning people away at all, but people were queueing and it seemed to be a 'one in, one out' sort of thing.

The picture is slightly misleading as the room was quite densely populated around the bar and towards the mosaic, but you can see it's quite a relaxed chilled-out sort of place and not a ram-jammed football pub sort of experience.

The bar was 2 or 3 deep when I went in so getting served took around 10 minutes or so - if there were more people in there, getting a drink could become quite frustrating.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
From that photo, I'd not sure I'd be that bothered about getting in or not. At least on the concourse you don't have people sitting on the floor (mainly because it's too grubby).

I was thinking that myself, looks a bit odd people laid out on the floor, bit cheap....obviously not enough chairs to go around...

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
When has Withdean held over 20,000 people?

My point was that I don't think one blanket licence to cover the entire stadium is standard practice. Whilst the stadium as a whole will have a licence, there are likely individual, tailored licences for the various bars within the ground, be they concourse bars, members bars, the hospitality catering or indeed our supporters bar. The council can impose as many specific restrictions on each and every one of these licences as they wish. I don't know that they have, but I don't think it's as easy as saying "the law says you can, so you can".

Wasn't there a case a few years ago of the council banning a city centre premises from playing so-called RnB music as a condition of its licence? They can impose whatever restrictions and conditions they like

Yep. That was the North Street nightclub owned by the Majeev brothers of Crawley FC fame. After a midweek street brawl between London RnB followers and Brightonians from an estate, with the Majeev brothers joining in. In the end, the club closed, not surprisingly.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sorted. The new doorman of Dicks Bar......

tumblr_li4glkJcSJ1qdn10zo1_500.jpg

I'm considering banning you for that. He is the scariest man from my childhood. Many a nightmare had with him in it. Cheeldrin...

Great film though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here