Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dicker was superb yesterday....

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Gary Dicker deserves praise for yesterday's performance. How some of those mugs on the ratings thread had him down as a 2 or a 3 is beyond me. If he was playing at that level yesterday Gus would have hauled him off at halftime. Some people are clueless. Dicker deserves his starting position in the team

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Dicker sprayed the ball around much better than usual but we shouldn't fool ourselves, he still wafts around midfield barely ever making a challenge and there can be some pretty alarming gaps in the centre at times. He also plays the ball out wide well but he's hardly an incisive, dynamic midfielder playing the killer ball and winning back possession

Well said..... no dynamism, and definitely, along with Barnes was responsible for our lack of oompf going forward.... stood and watched......

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Well said..... no dynamism, and definitely, along with Barnes was responsible for our lack of oompf going forward.... stood and watched......

It's all about opinion but that is completely wrong IMO He was the one player, when we attacked who found space just outside the box and was screaming for the ball as well of emerging from quite a few challenges with the ball. In this game and most others.
I think the problem is that a lot of people only seem (or want )to notice the odd ball that goes astray etc. Every player does it but Dicker gets slaughtered for it.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
There seem to be a lot of people that only follow the ball on here. Off the ball Dicker found some great positions down the middle but everything was going down the wings to be crossed to nobody.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Dicker put in a decent shift, however for us to be successful I don't think we can accommodate him and Bridcutt in the same team.

Both are happy passing the ball sideways and out to the wings, don't get me wrong some are good balls but neither have the ability on unlock a defence with a through ball. Yesterday Brum parked the bus and we really didn't have many ideas of how to break them down. And while Dicker and Bridcutt both had decent games when teams come and play like that we need something different.

We had no goal threat from central midfield yesterday and with Barnes and Dobbie dropping deep we really didn't put enough pressure on them up the pitch. Also think that with the way the game was going yesterday I would have brought Lua Lua on earlier for Barnes and played Buckley central.

Final point and this isn't a shot at Dicker..... But why the f*** is he taking corners ? He is a passer of the ball and certainly not a player who delivers a great ball into the box from wide. Why Bridge isn't taking them.. Especially from the right hand side I don't know

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
He did play well yesterday. Saying that Birmingham were so deep it gave Dicker the time and space he requires, he won't get that every week. How anyone can say Buckley did well is beyond me his crosses were straight to their keeper and shooting was awful. Wingers are judged on their end product.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow - interesting how we all see something very different. Thought he had an ok shift, couple of decent tackles but got caught out positionally ( too far forward) a few times and when he is forward he does not have the passing, skill or guile to be of much use. IMHO he needs to 'stay at home' more consistently and let Dicker / Crofts / Hammond and the full backs get forward with little fear of what happens if we lose the ball.
I have a theory about this.

I think Bridcutt gets better the higher you sit.

From pitch (ish) level LB is pretty good.

But if you're in Sensible Soccer territory LB looks immense.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I have a theory about this.

I think Bridcutt gets better the higher you sit.

From pitch (ish) level LB is pretty good.

But if you're in Sensible Soccer territory LB looks immense.

Must be me then as am in WSU...maybe I just want him to be even better than he is, but I still think he is getting forward more but in a way that is dangerous or the team. His range of passing is limited and he still demands the ball when facing his own goal 35-40 yards out with a bruiser on his back. Done it 4 times this year to my memory, all echoes of Nolan's goal v WHU.
Still a long way for the lad to develop - hope he dies it in the stripes tho'.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Bridge was head and shoulders man of the match yesterday. The very fact Dicker looked the second best stand out player on the park for us, speaks volumes. All very well passing the ball around neatly all evening, as he did. But if you waiting for the killer ball, from Dicker you may be waiting an awful long time. Hence the result.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Must be me then as am in WSU...maybe I just want him to be even better than he is, but I still think he is getting forward more but in a way that is dangerous or the team. His range of passing is limited and he still demands the ball when facing his own goal 35-40 yards out with a bruiser on his back. Done it 4 times this year to my memory, all echoes of Nolan's goal v WHU.
Still a long way for the lad to develop - hope he dies it in the stripes tho'.
One of my favourite comments from Roar, a couple of weeks ago, which I think was levelled at KLL:-

'If he could do everything he wouldn't be playing for us'.

I've certainly used that a few times since.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
GarDicker deserves his starting position in the team

No sorry, league one fodder....... a few passes does not make you a top end championship central midfielder for gawd sake.... where was his movement, where was his aerial power, where was his incisive support for the forwards?.... oh I know.... it was left in L1 ... :banghead::banghead:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No sorry, league one fodder....... a few passes does not make you a top end championship central midfielder for gawd sake.... where was his movement, where was his aerial power, where was his incisive support for the forwards?.... oh I know.... it was left in L1 ... :banghead::banghead:

Well your comments sum it up dont they...no matter how well the lad plays you arent going to rate him

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bridge was head and shoulders man of the match yesterday. The very fact Dicker looked the second best stand out player on the park for us, speaks volumes. All very well passing the ball around neatly all evening, as he did. But if you waiting for the killer ball, from Dicker you may be waiting an awful long time. Hence the result.

Actually Dicker played a few good balls yesterday...its what was done next let us down

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dicker and bridders were excellent yesterday

Gary Dicker was superb again yesterday, should be the title.

These.

He seems to be the new Ashley Barnes - pilloried when he gives the ball away, and usually unappreciated (this thread aside) when plays some passes.

It's like this thread is 'OMG - Dicker played well...', when the point is, this season he has done so in the majority of matches for the majority of the time.

He finished last season sloppily, but he is now definitely showing his Championship quality, by finally getting to prove it.

Dec 29, 2011
I must say I don't rate Dicker that highly, but yesterday I thought he was superb. My MOM went Bridge, Dicker, Bridders with everyone else being fairly anonymous.
Bridge looked like a Premier League full back and his stamina is absolutely incredible. Dicker pinged balls everywhere with good accuracy and to the guy saying "he only goes sideways" if there is room on the wings why not pass it there?

Also Dicker's performances seem to be getting better game on game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here